TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

3D Rendering
Read 13453 times
August 11, 2010, 01:05:38 PM
If I have a 3d object (I created) that won't change render properties (color, material, etc) no matter what I do, what does this mean?  It just stays an ugly grey.

thx

August 11, 2010, 01:37:06 PM
I've used this recommended technique.  Use the facet edit tool to select a single facet, then ctrl-a to select all facets, then right click for the context menu, select properties, select material, change material to your choice.

"Be who you are and say what you feel.. because those who mind do not matter, and those who matter do not mind"

August 11, 2010, 01:55:25 PM
Ugh.. I'm running TC 16 Deluxe and that command is only available in TC Pro.  :-[ Any other suggestions?

* August 11, 2010, 04:04:08 PM
Ugh.. I'm running TC 16 Deluxe and that command is only available in TC Pro.  :-[ Any other suggestions?

Post the file. Meanwhile, I think you should redraw the object ;-)

Henry H

August 12, 2010, 08:34:31 AM
Here's one example..

* August 12, 2010, 11:12:51 AM
See if this works at your end.Maybe wrapping image would be a way to go.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:24:01 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* August 12, 2010, 02:01:59 PM
Here's one example..

Looks like yet another case in which Deluxe cannot change the material of an object that has undergone some Boolean operation(s). As John R pointed out earlier, however, it is possible to drag a material from the Materials Palette onto the object. Bad news is, this has to be done one facet at a time. Good news is, this particular object is simple enough that one-facet-at-a-time is doable.

Henry H

* August 12, 2010, 10:27:18 PM
One thing I find that helps is to use a Pen Color; either directly through Properties for the individual object or By Layer, so that everything on that layer is the same color. Don't assign any Material. This way you can Boolean 'til the cows come home and maybe change the Pen Color when needed. When you do some test renders, your objects will have some color, so it's not all gray. When you're done altering the object(s), then apply a material.

If you do need to go back and alter something (add/subtract, etc), set the Material assignment back to None. Of course, remembering this last part is easier said than done.  ;)

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

October 07, 2010, 04:22:06 PM
Thanks guys

* October 07, 2010, 10:15:25 PM
Although it could just be some kind of bug, I assume rather that this is some type of  marketing strategy -- deliberately sabotaging the product.  In which case, its a poor strategy.

Its to be expected that TCDX wouldn't have all the tools for making 3D objects. But what isn't expected is that the 3D objects it produces are second-rate, lame-duck objects. TCDX already has enough bugs and gotchas without deliberately introducing more.

Waiting until  the tail end of a process to see what the rendered version is going to look like sucks the fun out of the project.

The "drag material from the palette" technique doesn't seem to work for me. Is there something I need to do to the tcsurface object before it will take? When I drag the material, it doesn't select a facet, or do anything to show that its willing to apply the material to the object.

One workaround for the "once only" defect is to save the part you're working on as an in-place block  just before you apply the material. Then explode the block back to itself (tcsurface) and apply the material. When you need to modify the part some more, you can delete the part, copy the block back in place, explode it back to a tcsurface, make your changes, save as a block again, explode, apply material.  Phew.

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

October 08, 2010, 05:14:34 AM
Although it could just be some kind of bug, I assume rather that this is some type of  marketing strategy -- deliberately sabotaging the product.

Well, I have to disagree with the idea that it's a marketing strategy.  It seems to be a side effect of being able to have different materials on different facets--which means the problem is only as new as that function (v15?).  This ability complicates the boolean operations enough that changing materials requires an annoying workaround.  Unfortunately, while the new capability is included in Deluxe, the workaround requires use of a tool (facet editor) that was only ever available in the Pro versions.

So either the workaround needs to be added to Deluxe--OR--the material-to-facet functionality needs to be fixed so that a workaround is not necessary, though surely the former option is much easier to implement than the latter.

If IMSI/Design was big on sleezy marketing strategies, they would do something like not let old versions of product be sold--or make them not upgradeable or something (you know--like the big names do already).  But they don't do that.  Or they would advertise one price, but require a "subscription" for tech support and upgrades.  But they don't.  Heck, just this year, they've made upgrading from Deluxe to Pro a more viable option, rather than just Pro-to-Pro.   :)

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com
TC Pro 18.2 & Platinum 2016

* October 08, 2010, 08:19:07 AM
re: The "drag material from the palette" technique doesn't seem to work for me. Is there something I need to do to the TC Surface object before it will take? When I drag the material, it doesn't select a facet, or do anything to show that its willing to apply the material to the object.

From what I see in V17 Deluxe, I have to Explode the 3D object one time; i.e. a TC Cylinder becomes a TC Surface, then drag-n-drop will work. When I drag the cursor from the Materials palette, a facet will be highlighted in green, at which point I release the left mouse button. Drag-n-drop will not work when Perspective is on.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* October 08, 2010, 03:50:41 PM

From what I see in V17 Deluxe, I have to Explode the 3D object one time; i.e. a TC Cylinder becomes a TC Surface, then drag-n-drop will work. When I drag the cursor from the Materials palette, a facet will be highlighted in green, at which point I release the left mouse button. Drag-n-drop will not work when Perspective is on.
A board with a couple holes in it is already a TC surface. I drag and drop, but it doesn't let me choose facets. The board as a whole doesn't change material, but apparently one facet (usually the inside of the last hole I subtracted) does change. It would be rare for anyone to care what the inside of a hole looks like. I've tried various ways of adding and subtracting 3D objects, but in no way can I get the outside object to change.

Thanks,
Mark
TC Deluxe 16.2

Edit #2: Under Camera / Properties, I have "Perspective" UNchecked. This means perspective is off, right?
Thanks again,
Mark

Edit #1: Spelling error
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:06:00 PM by MarkS »

TCW Pro 14.2

* October 10, 2010, 04:30:28 AM
re: Under Camera / Properties, I have "Perspective" UNchecked. This means perspective is off, right?
Correct.

In this video I have an object where I added an object and subtracted several others. I just drag-n-drop from the Materials palette to a facet. You won't see any change in Wireframe and the 3D Properties will state None, but in a Quality or Draft rendered view you should see some changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NossZovvv_U

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

October 10, 2010, 09:33:25 AM
In this video I have....

Cool,Johns making videos!?!........  No expectation, just appreciation, you've already done so much......but(I'm your first subscriber)

If the picture's worth 1000 words, a video is worth _________________.

A video show workflow that could take a long time realize on your own.

I read the Manual cover to cover without getting an understanding of which is the best tool to use where.  I know inevitably it will be based on my workflow but seeing it done sure helps.

It's like giving a rookie carpenter a couple hundred tools without any explanation of whats more appropriate to use where.  How many different ways can you "cross cut" a board?

Thanks john, and anyone who has made these videos just for the benefits of others...

Alan H.

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

* October 10, 2010, 10:23:32 AM
re: Under Camera / Properties, I have "Perspective" UNchecked. This means perspective is off, right?
Correct.

In this video I have an object where I added an object and subtracted several others. I just drag-n-drop from the Materials palette to a facet. You won't see any change in Wireframe and the 3D Properties will state None, but in a Quality or Draft rendered view you should see some changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NossZovvv_U
Hi John,

Mine doesn't do that. It only changes the material of one facet (usually a facet on the inside of a subtracted portion). Possibly they added this/fixed this between deluxe versions 16 and 17?

Thanks,
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

October 10, 2010, 10:30:02 AM
Mine doesn't do that. It only changes the material of one facet

Mark,

Isn't that what the video showing?  Editing the materials of one facet..

Alan H.

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

* October 10, 2010, 10:49:17 AM
Mine doesn't do that. It only changes the material of one facet

Mark,

Isn't that what the video showing?  Editing the materials of one facet..

Alan H.
Hi Alan,

No -- he's doing EVERY facet, one at a time. Mine does ONE certain facet (the last one created, apparently), and NO OTHER facet no matter how I try.

Thanks,
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* October 10, 2010, 11:04:22 AM
re: Possibly they added this/fixed this between deluxe versions 16 and 17?

The video was created with TurboCAD Deluxe V16.2, Build 53.2.

If you're using the same version/build, post a sample drawing with the problem objects. Maybe someone here can find out where the problem is.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* October 10, 2010, 11:44:24 AM

If you're using the same version/build, post a sample drawing with the problem objects. Maybe someone here can find out where the problem is.
Hi John,

In your post 10/8 7:19 post, you said version 17. Are you sure you did the example on V16.2? That's what I'm running.

I don't know how to show what's happening without making a movie as well. All I can say is that the facets are not lighting up as I drag the material over. What software are you using to capture your actions? I tried doing a screen print, but it doesn't show my cursor, which which is important because it has the little materials icon on it and shows that I'm over a facet and not somewhere else.

Thanks!
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* October 10, 2010, 12:05:01 PM

Hi John,

In your post 10/8 7:19 post, you said version 17. Are you sure you did the example on V16.2? That's what I'm running.

I don't know how to show what's happening without making a movie as well. All I can say is that the facets are not lighting up as I drag the material over. What software are you using to capture your actions? I tried doing a screen print, but it doesn't show my cursor, which which is important because it has the little materials icon on it and shows that I'm over a facet and not somewhere else.

Thanks!
Mark

Just post a .tcw drawing, Mark, in which the problem exists.

Regarding the cursor -- some photo editing programs (such as my old Paint Shop Pro v7) have a "Screen capture" tool with an option to show the cursor.

Henry H

* October 10, 2010, 12:25:44 PM

Regarding the cursor -- some photo editing programs (such as my old Paint Shop Pro v7) have a "Screen capture" tool with an option to show the cursor.

Henry H
Oh yeah -- I've got PSP! Thanks for reminding me.

I've attached three images. The first shows the selection info so you can verify that the object is the right type. The second shows what happens when I try to drag and drop the material. As you can see, the facet doesn't light up. If I do the drop, the facet on the interior of the second hole in the object changes, as you can see in picture 3. No other facet will "take" a material drop.

Thanks!
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* October 10, 2010, 12:28:00 PM
On the 8th, I used V17, as I wasn't sure what you were working with. Once I definitely knew what version you had, I used that (V16 Deluxe) to make the movie.

It would make things easier if a TCW file was available, instead of guessing as to what could be wrong.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* October 10, 2010, 12:37:59 PM
On the 8th, I used V17, as I wasn't sure what you were working with. Once I definitely knew what version you had, I used that (V16 Deluxe) to make the movie.

It would make things easier if a TCW file was available, instead of guessing as to what could be wrong.

Here we go ...

TCW Pro 14.2

* October 10, 2010, 01:08:19 PM
I'm not sure what you're dragging in your picture, except maybe a 3D object. My icon looks different than yours when I drag it out from the palette.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* October 10, 2010, 01:18:57 PM
I'm not sure what you're dragging in your picture, except maybe a 3D object. My icon looks different than yours when I drag it out from the palette.
I'm dragging from the materials palette (see attached). Is there a different palette I'm supposed to be using? Your palette looks different from mine, but I can't make out the wording in the video.

Do you have a snapshot of what your icon looks like?
Thanks!
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* October 10, 2010, 01:21:25 PM
Now I understand what that icon is. It's supposed to change the entire object to the selected material; provided you haven't performed any boolean operations. You need to click on "Drag on Facet" so it has a checkmark next to it, then it will change an individual facet.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 01:37:31 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* October 10, 2010, 03:08:14 PM
Now I understand what that icon is. It's supposed to change the entire object to the selected material; provided you haven't performed any boolean operations. You need to click on "Drag on Facet" so it has a checkmark next to it, then it will change an individual facet.
Thank you John! That was it!

Its still a shame to have to do this, but its fairly fast, and kind of fun.

Thanks!
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2