TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Ol'e Joe's Store
Read 6367 times
June 22, 2009, 09:41:08 AM
Hi all.

This is my first attempt at combining TC with image editing software.

It took most of the weekend to figure out the basics of image editing.

A combination of TC, Paint.net and photoScape.

I have posted the original shop image for comparison.

All comments and criticisms welcomed.

Regards

Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dave C
TC Pro V14.2 - TC 21 Platinum 64 Bit Build 22.3
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro

www.ipernity.com/fizzyfitz

* June 22, 2009, 09:57:50 AM
Marvelous job, Dave.

Henry H

* June 22, 2009, 11:01:30 AM
First Class work on this Dave, quite amazing the closeness to the original. I have never tried photoscape , any benefits or handy facets to the program ??.

June 22, 2009, 11:45:59 AM
Great looking image Dave. How was TurboCAD used?

* June 22, 2009, 12:10:47 PM
Nice work Dave. Incorporation the TC tic-tac -toe table as a display along with the magnifying glass give good  pictorial composition along with the aged look to the image it gives real time period. before you know it you'll be ready go Photoshop CS4.With these two applications working side beside there no limitations,its just as TC and AC working in tandem. :) One question if one looks in the window how did you change the store contents from glasses to benchtop??.

W.D.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:25:42 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

June 22, 2009, 12:23:38 PM
Nice work Dave. Incorporation the TC tic-tac -toe table as a display along with the magnifying glass give good  pictorial composition along with the aged look to the image it gives real time period. before you know it you'll be ready go Photoshop CS4.With these two applications working side beside there no limitations,its just as TC and AC working in tandem. :) One question did use the Sepia tool command in Paint.Net to get the look?

W.D.

Thanks for pointing all that out WD, I wasn't sure which came first, the old or the new.  I am not always that observant.

* June 22, 2009, 12:38:16 PM
Hi Don

Must admit at first I'm little puzzle myself.
More I study this the more I'm intrigue .If one is to look in the window I notice vehicle reflection that is not of period along with another store across the street.he also add text on the window.I like how these components come together to make the modifications into old time picture.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:47:40 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

June 22, 2009, 01:40:24 PM
Thanks for the response guys.

PhotoScape was originally recommended to me by Don Cheke.

Sorry Michael I only know the extreme basics of photoScape so I really can't give you any tips on it. Before the weekend I didn't know the first thing about paint.net, just about learned enough to put this composition together.

Henry H gave me advice about image wrapping a while ago but I must be a bit slow as I have only recently got my head around the idea of offsetting images to get the required wrap.

This Image came about after following wd's flyer thread.

This I suppose was a project from evolution of learning.

I will try to explain it all as best as I can.

All the photographic images used in this picture were sourced on the internet.
All photographic images used in this picture were darkened or mirrored with PhotoScape.
All the storefront display images were produced within TC and saved onto a white background (nice tip wd). All backgrounds removed with the magic wand tool in the final stages of composition with paint.net.

The original photo was edited by removing the shop sign from the upper left of the image using a clone tool, and the clip art head put in its place.

This photo was then image wrapped around a cube in TC.
The cube had cutouts where the windows should be. The interior and the windows were both ACIS solids.
So as you can see from the attached wire frame drawing the whole thing only works from one viewpoint.

The interior of the shop was again based on one image but both half's of the interior were wrapped separately to produce the effect of one interior.

The windows were made with a glass material and again image wrapped separately to produce an individual reflection of a shop across the street. Sadly this didn't really show in the final render(and no reflected cars either ;)).

Final composition put together with paint.net.

Best Regards

Dave

Edit
The writing in the windows was created in TC using 3D text.

Second edit.
Forgot to mention that the final image was produced using two different antique adjustments and converting to sepia with PhotoScape.
I think that just about covers it all.  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 02:09:28 PM by Troubled »

Dave C
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro

June 22, 2009, 01:55:23 PM
Wow - that is an intense amount of work Dave.

Must have been someone else who recommended PhotoScape as I have never used it. I started with GIMP, went to Paint Shop Pro and now use Photoshop.

June 22, 2009, 02:02:00 PM
Sorry about the confusion Don,

I have had a lot of good advice from a lot of people on this and the old forum so an honest mistake there.

Regards

Dave

Dave C
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro

* June 22, 2009, 03:33:56 PM
This photo was then image wrapped around a cube in TC.
The cube had cutouts where the windows should be. The interior and the windows were both ACIS solids.
So as you can see from the attached wire frame drawing the whole thing only works from one viewpoint.

Deucedly clever, Dave!

Henry H

* June 22, 2009, 09:32:25 PM
Definitely a lot of work there, piecing it altogether. Very good work.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

June 23, 2009, 10:52:40 AM
Very nice results Dave.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

June 24, 2009, 01:11:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks.
Much appreciated.

Regards
Dave

Dave C
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro

* July 06, 2009, 03:36:33 AM
Hi, Dave.
Fantastic image. The combination of Cad and Photo-editing was very succesful in this render.
Just nitpicking: The two little girls on the left could be a trifle darker. They stand out very light in this darker part of the image.
All in all, I would say: Bravo!

Rob

July 06, 2009, 09:46:27 AM
Hi, Dave.
Just nitpicking: The two little girls on the left could be a trifle darker. They stand out very light in this darker part of the image.

Rob

Cheers Rob
You're welcome to nitpick as much as you want to.
That's why I post my images.
All feedback always appreciated.

As for darkening the little girls, I wouldn't have a clue how to do that.

Any tips on image editing will be gratefully received.

As mentioned in my earlier post I learned how to do enough with paint.net in a weekend so that I could put the final image together,
before that I had never used it.

Regards
Dave

Dave C
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro

* July 08, 2009, 11:39:22 AM
Hi, Dave.
If your little girls are on a separate layer - that is if your image-editing software supports layers - you simply select that layer and in the command structure find "Brightness and Contrast".
Simply move the brightness slider a little to the left or start typing values like -6 or -12. Just see what happens.
Sometimes reducing the contrast a little bit works good too for figures in the shadow.

Rob

July 08, 2009, 01:18:20 PM
Hi Rob

Paint.net does have layer support so I may mess about with that image again at some point but at the moment I am working on something else.

Dave C
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro