TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Batt Insulation
Read 14535 times
* August 08, 2010, 08:29:28 AM
Trying to find a "Batt Insulation Hatch" for wood stud wall details, I don't see one in the hatches.

Ivey

August 08, 2010, 09:52:22 AM
Trying to find a "Batt Insulation Hatch" for wood stud wall details, I don't see one in the hatches.

Ivey

Look in the symbols library "construction library folder".  This might only be in the architectural or platinum option.

Alan H.

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

* August 08, 2010, 12:23:04 PM
Is this kind of insulation your looking for??
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:26:33 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* August 08, 2010, 12:30:58 PM

Ivey

Ivey,

I'm not positive this will work for your Batt Insulation, but someone on the Forums gave it to me years ago.  Open the .tcw drawing attached, Select the "Batt" line (it's easier to "grab" it in Open Window Mode), and Paste into your drawing (be sure to Save first- just in case.  It should become available as one of your Line Patterns.

I had to monkey around with the Line Settings, as you can see from the Selection Info. pic.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:49:46 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* August 08, 2010, 12:56:52 PM
Is the kind of insulation your looking for??

Hi wd-

I see from your post that you used ver.11.2 on a Windows 7 machine.  A couple of questions-

Is that in XP Mode (I wasn't able to get full version 11.2 functionality in Windows 7 without using it in Xp Mode.  Some tools didn't install, and my Walls Tool doesn't work correctly), and...

where did you get- and more importantly, where can I get- that Batt Insulation Brush Style?

-Thanks, Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

August 08, 2010, 01:37:46 PM
Is the kind of insulation your looking for??

Hey WD

what/where is that brush style pallet, I've never seen that.

Alan H.

* August 08, 2010, 01:54:04 PM
re: what/where is that brush style pallet, I've never seen that.

Tools / Brush Styles

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

August 08, 2010, 02:09:41 PM
re: what/where is that brush style pallet, I've never seen that.

Tools / Brush Styles

Thanks John,

I thought it would be with the other pallets, in views

Alan H.

* August 08, 2010, 03:22:11 PM
Thanks Alvin, I put that in my Junkyard , where I keep all my repetitive objects.

I'll see if i can put it in at deferrent scales.

Try also to lock the scale of something I hatch when I zoom in and out ,  can't figure that one out either

Ivey

* August 08, 2010, 03:34:40 PM
Is that in XP Mode (I wasn't able to get full version 11.2 functionality in Windows 7 without using it in Xp Mode.  Some tools didn't install, and my Walls Tool doesn't work correctly), and...where did you get- and more importantly, where can I get- that Batt Insulation Brush Style?-Thanks, Alvin
Hey Al
You may want check and see if you did'nt lose your join and chain polyline tools another end user lost them meaning they were not present.If you right click your TC 11.2 Icon click on the compatibility tab I chose none of the selections.

The fix for me at my end was to turn my U.A.C. to the lowest settings and Anti virus in the pause mode and do a reboot. If still no joy reload the disc.Once you reset the U.A.C. back to the defaults it may not stick. But it did at my end.Also I set my anti-virus back to the defaults.The U.A.C. is nuisance for TC in my opinion and its the only software that conflicts with it on my rig.I running the U.A.C. in the lowest setting all time.I tired of seeing dialog box warning me every time I do something.

W.D.

EDIT:The brush is AC creation I did back in the day when I went to cad school.The problem with it won't stick for a new project and only good for the one drawing. Meaning I have to reload a pat.file every time.Also I found your tcw. file won't stay permanent ether when I tried add it with the defaults up in Line Styles.All it did is make straight line and lost it settings in the next new drawing
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:03:18 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* August 08, 2010, 03:55:13 PM
Thanks John,

I thought it would be with the other pallets, in Views

Alan H.

I put mine in a Palettes menu.  ;)

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* August 08, 2010, 05:18:38 PM

Try also to lock the scale of something I hatch when I zoom in and out ,  can't figure that one out either

Ivey

Ivey, After you select the Batt Insulation Line Pattern, press F7, to select it, make sure your Selection Info. Palette is on, and see what you have.  World Scaling will keep it looking right when you zoom in an out.  Make the "Line Pattern Dash Scale" the same as your wall thickness (like 3½" or 5½").  I like to use a very thin Line Width for things like Batt Insulation Hatches, that's why I set my Line Width to .02point.

I think you can use constraints as well to make the Hatch always stay relative with your wall in the same place-  should you move it; but I'm not too practiced with Constraints.

Another tip:  I like to set my Model Space Page Setup Print Scale to the same as my eventual Paperspace Print Scale.  Then I often Zoom to Printed Size to see how it's going to look.  I don't know about you, but I don't have a large format printer here at my office, so the first pass is always a guess until I have it printed once at the printer's.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* August 08, 2010, 05:43:26 PM

You may want check and see if you did'nt lose your join and chain polyline tools another end user lost them meaning they were not present.If you right click your TC 11.2 Icon click on the compatibility tab I chose none of the selections.

EDIT:The brush is AC creation I did back in the day when I went to cad school.The problem with it won't stick for a new project and only good for the one drawing. Meaning I have to reload a pat.file every time.Also I found your tcw. file won't stay permanent ether when I tried add it with the defaults up in Line Styles.All it did is make straight line and lost it settings in the next new drawing

wd,
On the version 11/Windows 7 Compatibility issue:
   The Join Polyline and the Chain Polyline are exactly the tools that I have found to not have installed.  Also, I have found the TC Explorer Palette and the Calculator Palette to not have installed.  And like I said, the Walls tool doesn’t self-heal or “block-out” for openings either.  There’s probably other issues as well, but I haven’t worked with TC much in Windows7, as I just got my new computer recently (it was a “home-built” birthday gift from a couple of friends- how about that?). They (IMSI) never said version 11 would work perfectly in Windows 7, and though I wouldn’t expect it to, it would have been nice.

I will give some effort to your recommended solution(s).

On the Batt Insulation Line Pattern, I knew it wouldn’t “stick” in the TC program.  But my thought was to save it as a stand-alone .tcw file or symbol and bring it into (Copy & Paste) a new drawing when needed.   Like I believe you said, once it’s in a .tcw file, it’s there to use repeatedly.

-Alvin

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 05:46:59 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* August 08, 2010, 10:29:16 PM
I dug up this "Batt" hatch. There's a rectangle with the Hatch and also a Text file of the pattern. If you like what is in the drawing (V11 format), you can add the Pattern to TurboCAD through TCExplorer.

Expand Settings and Built-in in TCExplorer
Go to BrushStyle_Table
Right-click and choose "Add from…" in the Local Menu.
Browse for the "Batt Insulation.txt" file.
Extract
Select "Batt"
Choose "Replace Existing Entries"
"Add" button
Finally, "OK".

Starting a new drawing should show the new pattern in the list. I originally tried "Don't replace", but only one line of code was entered. Using "Replace Existing Entries" installed all four lines.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* August 09, 2010, 03:20:05 AM
Al
I have read the that TC does'nt play well with 64 bit also found some users have no problems ether.Microsoft claims 32 bit software will work on 64 bit.Go figure right!Found successful results with Virtual PC (Xp Mode) that might be a work around if all fails.But than again your machine has to be able to supported it.For best results W7 Pro or Ultimate.Vista Basic was trouble maker for me.I see it this way W7 was made to work Xp software.my take on it is application that presents the issue not W7.than of course 11.2 it wasn't built for W7.

http://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-home-premium-vs-professional-vs-ultimate-t1234.html

EDIT: RE: to your earlier question I'm not using Xp Mode.Straight W7 Pro.On another machine some times rather not use it IMO.It was kinda of experimentation that came recommend my way.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:32:12 AM by wd »

* August 09, 2010, 01:02:04 PM
John, do you know if I can get that Batt hatch that Alvin showed, I would like to use that for framed wall details. I looked in brush styles, did not see it ?

I'm not crazy about that one you showed in the earlier post, not really the standard batt hatch. it would be good for board insulation maybe

I've been looking for years, I hate to create my own ,    but

Ivey

* August 09, 2010, 01:14:26 PM
John, do you know if I can get that Batt hatch that Alvin showed, I would like to use that for framed wall details. I looked in brush styles, did not see it ?

Ivey

Ivey, I'm curious.  Did you try to Copy & Paste the Batt Insulation line from the .tcw I provided?

In case you don't find someone to provide a Batt Brush Style, I think that's the way to go.  It's really simple and easy to modify to fit your wall-sectional detail, and after you adjusted it's settings, it "looks right" as you zoom in and out.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* August 09, 2010, 01:27:41 PM

I'm not crazy about that one you showed in the earlier post, not really the standard batt hatch. it would be good for board insulation maybe

I've been looking for years, I hate to create my own ,    but

Ivey

If I may...

The "Batt" Alvin posted is not a brush style, its a Line Pattern. Download his .TCW file and follow the instructions he posted. To fill a region with it, you must draw a line inside the region using that Line Pattern. Adjust its properties in the Pen page of the properties dialog if necessary.

Henry H

* August 09, 2010, 03:13:40 PM
Thanks Alvin,

I did try to put it in a 3 1/2' stud wall, no luck so far.

I'll look at yours and Henry's instruction again.

I was just hoping TC had this very common hatch detail , I don't think I have ever seen a set of plans without it.

3 1/2",  6" and  9" widths is what I need.

Ivey

* August 09, 2010, 03:24:23 PM
Thanks Alvin,

I did try to put it in a 3 1/2' stud wall, no luck so far.

I'll look at yours and Henry's instruction again.

I was just hoping TC had this very common hatch detail , I don't think I have ever seen a set of plans without it.

3 1/2",  6" and  9" widths is what I need.

Ivey

Ivey,

I think that a Batt Insulation Brush Style is common in AutoCAD, that's why we (as Contractors) have so often seen it.

As a Framer, I don't know why you are looking for 6" and 9", but hey, I'm in California.  Out here, our 2x6 walls are 5½" and our 2x10 walls are 9½".

Anyway... attached is a .tcw file with all 3 sizes you need.  Again, just Save the file for future use, open it, and Copy & Paste the lines into your file for repeated use on that one particular file.  Snap the line end nodes to the middles (top and bottom) of your studs or plates, then just kinda' stretch- using the nodes- to get it to look like you want.

Take a look at the Pen properties of each, and I think you'll figure out how to make different sizes as you need.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:26:43 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* August 09, 2010, 03:56:30 PM
Will Do,  I have ACAD 2008, and student versions of 2011 , 2011 Architectural, I'll check that out.

But , I have been using TC since , well I'm not sure, maybe 1990, I am currently studying at the free AutoDesk University, online,  free because I am out of work,  for a possible run at a AutoCAD Certification. If you work for an Arch or Eng as a CAD tech, you better  know ACAD.

TC has advantages and disadvantages, but with Acad 2009, 2010 and 2011,  they seem to be heading towards the same way TC interfaces,  they just don't want to admit it. They don't seem to be teaching the newbies the command line so much as the ribbon tools ,  looks like to me anyway ,  they want you learn the tool s ,   just like TC.

Yeah , we have to turn in energy calcs with our permit submittals. So I need to show 3 1/2" , r-11 and 13,   6" R-19 and   9" or 10" for R-30.

All ceiling these days go R-30 pretty much.

Thanks , I'll check out those files.

Ivey

* August 11, 2010, 04:27:53 PM
Regarding using the Batt Insulation line that I attached on previous post on this Topic-

If the Copy & Paste method doesn't work, I have another-better- method.  Use File|Extract From...

I tried using my ver.11pro TC Explorer palette and copy and pasting the Line Styles, as the Help says to, but that was a no-go.  I also tried by going through the Options|Line Styles editor- again, it didn't work.

But when I used the File|Extract From... command, that did work.  I have attached a .pdf of the possible application of the Batt Insulation line tool, and the .tcw from which the drawing was printed.

I hope someone else (besides myself) finds this useful.  Remember to use Pen Properties| "World" scaling, manipulate the Dash scale, and you'll probably want to use something like a 1/256" or 1/512" Pen Width value (make sure your Options|Space Units "Precision is cranked up if you want to use these smaller Pen Widths).

*EDIT*  A better Batt Insulation Line- By using Line Styles editor, we can create new Line Batt Insulation Line Styles (based on the original in my supplied .tcw) that correspond to R-Values, eliminating the need to manipulate the Pen Dash Scale for 2x4 walls versus 2x6 walls versus ceilings, etc.

Anyway... Alvin
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:56:16 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* August 12, 2010, 04:29:07 AM
Yes, I did copy and paste into the file all three sizes. I reduced the lengths on the 3" and 9" and rubber stamped them where I wanted to place them, looked great. But the next time I opened the file , they just turned into straight lines.

Don't know what caused that.

I'll try the above ,

Ivey

* August 12, 2010, 06:36:40 AM
Yes, I did copy and paste into the file all three sizes. I reduced the lengths on the 3" and 9" and rubber stamped them where I wanted to place them, looked great. But the next time I opened the file , they just turned into straight lines.

Don't know what caused that.

I'll try the above ,

Ivey

Ivey,

Yes, File|Extract From... seems to be the way my TurboCAD ver. 11.2 wants to go.

Attached is a new .tcw file (EDIT*- 8/13/10; 9:29pst- Be sure to "Save" the file, then Save As YOUR VERSION #, and not just "Open" from your browser) with 3 additional Batt Insulation Line Styles.  There is R-13 (3.5"), R-19 (5.48"), and R-30 (9.45").  You can File|Extract From... this file into your file.  Remember to keep your Pen Properties set to "World" scaling, and you should be happy with using "1" in your dash scales.  

*EDIT* 8/13/10; 1:00p.m.PST-

I have a better way of inserting the Batt Insulation Line Styles into a new drawing.

1- Open the BattInsulationLine-2 file (your TC version)
2- Open your new drawing with your template, or however you like to do it.
3- While the Active Window is your new drawing, go to TC Explorer Palette
4- In TC Explorer Palette, navigate to the BattInsulationLine-2 Line Styles
5- Click and Drag the Line Style that you want from the TC Explorer into your New Drawing drawing pane.

It's actually just like the Help instructions say.

Also, there are the old "Batt Insulation Scalable" Line Style is in there as well as a "kooky" "electrical wiring" line I was playing with; I couldn't figure out how to delete them.

In addition, addressing another one of your topics on the Forum- in the .tcw file attached there is a new Brush Style I created that resembles the unscalable WH_DIAGCROSS.  It's named ALVINS_DIAGCROSS.  I created it in the Brush Styles table starting with the L45 Brush Style.

I hope you find these useful- I know I will.  In trying to help you with these two issues, I have learned some myself in the past few days.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 01:01:56 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* August 12, 2010, 06:44:01 AM
This is the last comment I'll make in this thread,   I see the Option - Line Styles - Batt Insulation.

I can't seem to make it do anything or edit it, made it disappear all together.

They just don't go into any detail in the book or help.

Ivey

qfci@windstream.net

* August 12, 2010, 05:17:20 PM
re: They just don't go into any detail in the book or help.

You could try Options / Lines Styles in the Wiki, it may or may not help.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled