TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Measurement and layers
Read 2876 times
* August 03, 2010, 01:04:29 PM

When in Model space, I need to use Tools:measurement:area.

I cant figure out the relationship between Layers and the ability of the measurement to work without complaining about an invisible layer.

The layer required to make it work (found by trial) has no particular relationship to what I'm trying to measure.

How does measurement determine to what layer it should belong?

This is TB Deluxe V16.

Thank you in advance for your help. I am looking forward to spending a lot of time reading thru this forum.

John

Neophyte user of TurboCad

* August 03, 2010, 03:09:01 PM
It sounds like you had Layer 0 turned off. That should always be on (though you can turn Layer 0 off occasionally), because tools like Measurement use that layer only.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* August 04, 2010, 08:13:08 PM
I did try by turning Layer 0 on, by itself and it did not work. measurements would only work with one of the application layers turned on.

What i am going to try and do is post this thread with a copy of my drawing. Being new to this forum it may take me awhile to figure that out.

Thanks john R for keeping this thread alive and giving me the impetus to continue to learn, not only about TC but bout this forum.

John

* August 04, 2010, 08:25:58 PM
OK, on this drawing "Waitsburg place" the only layer that I could get to work with measurements is Layer"hatch".

I wanted to measure "Water Rights"

Hope this works and someone can explain how TC works.

Thank you folks.

John

* August 04, 2010, 08:48:47 PM

When in Model space, I need to use Tools:measurement:area.

That's not really what you need to measure the area of a closed Polyline (such as one of the objects on the "Water Rights" Layer). All you have to do is open the Selection Info palette, select the object, and expand the Metrics listing.

Henry H
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:56:00 PM by Henry Hubich »

* August 05, 2010, 02:27:48 AM
I may be wrong, but I think you're expecting the Area tool to place the measurement info into something within the drawing. All it does is generate the info into the Measurement Info palette. From there you can copy-n-paste it into the Leader tool or a Text tool.

Henry's way is nice, but you don't have easy access to the info if you wish to copy-n-paste like you can with the Measurement Info palette. Some people aren't up to speed with scientific notation either.

If you do want to use the Area tool, choose the "By Entity" parameter (Local Menu), select the polyline, then select "Close". The info should appear in the palette. You could also do this without "By Entity", but you would snap to the points along the polyline. If you have overlapping polylines (as in the lower section), you could use "By Entity", then snap to the points. This takes a bit getting used to. The little blurb in Help about Measuring Area may be useful if you haven't seen it yet. Attached is your drawing with leaders noting the square footage copied out of the palette. I used " \P " to force a line break in the Leader text. :)

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* August 05, 2010, 09:27:45 PM
Well wht the heck, I had a whole long response and it disappeared!!!!

I will retype it in abridged format.

i did a lot of testing the past 24hrs. What i found is:

For this particular drawing:

Layer 0 does not participate in the measurement tool. Level "Hatch" seems to have taken over that function.

For a clean drawing:

Level 0 acts as it should,, however in both drawing you cannot do an area measurement without the Layer 0 displayed (Layer "Hatch" in the problem drawing) but you can do a distance measurement. The measurement line will not show up if the requisite layer (0 in a clean drawing or "Hatch" in this problem drawing) but never the less the line is there when the associated layer is displayed.

Conclusion:

I cannot recreate why in the problem drawing layer Hatch seems to have taken over the function of Layer 0 (so far as measurement is concerned anyway).

In either case one can do a distance measurement without the layer 0 function displayed. This is a TC code issue.

Thank you John R and Henry for your help. As always discussing problems with others one  learns. For me I learned the issue of layer 0  because Henry pointed that out(I've never seen that rule published) and from JohnR I learned the trick of placing results in the leader tool.

Thank you guys again. I am very pleased to have found this forum.

John