TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Inserting PDF
Read 5959 times
* July 14, 2010, 01:01:43 AM

Well the 2cnd of many Q's ...

I receive JPG pictures of floor plans and insert them on to Model space ... and trace over the top ...or just use them as part of the drawing

I can do JPG's easy as .... But the world insists on using PDF, can't blame em, as they are'nt MB hungry
I saw a suggestion on Inserting it as a OLE Object ... Well that just crashed T14plat & T17.1 Plat ..  ::)
(Error message was all about, Acro reader 8.1 not responding)

Can I get a PDF "Picture" to be displayed in TC ... same as I can get a JPG to display :)

Cheers
Mike

* July 14, 2010, 02:06:42 AM
Can I get a PDF "Picture" to be displayed in TC ... same as I can get a JPG to display :)
Cheers Mike
If you use the snap shot tool that is in Adobe Reader and paste in TC the quality of the image comes in poor & pixelated or did I find found a better method other to bring jpegs,bmp,etc.in TC with the traditional steps.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:52:44 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* July 14, 2010, 05:54:21 AM
If you use the snap shot tool that is in Adobe Reader and paste in TC the quality of the image comes in poor & pixelated

... You little ripper !!!! .... I just tried that and pasted it into a Paint program ... and it works!!

or did I find found a better method ....

.... and I'm all ears :)

I was workin the theory, that if TC can "write" a PDF ... Then it could (somehow) translate to read a PDF

Cheers
Mike

* July 14, 2010, 06:25:35 AM
I was workin the theory, that if TC can "write" a PDF ... Then it could (somehow) translate to read a PDF CheersMike
I understand your point.My solution is more of a work around.I have brought pdfs in TC but found its kinda useless because the pdf displays with poor quality.Another thing to keep in mind TC at this point in time can't export pdf. with 3d tool features.. That would need to be done with other applications like Ailbre,Soild Works etc.Although it will create or write sharp looking pdf 3d model,Most end users prefer to use pdf maker pdf995
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:49:14 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* July 14, 2010, 06:41:37 AM

Naaa ... It's a good work around ... I've got a couple of folks that send me ideas that are sent on PDF and ask me to CAD it out (Basis of a floor plan design) ....

Saves me having to print it / Scan it / save it as a JPG  .... which really gets MB heavy .... Then stretch the JPG to the correct size .... then start working on it

Snap & paste ... Soooooo much easier ..... (Still have to try it in TCad tho)

I've got about 4 different PDF printers ..... Some clients Luv me sending via CIB Brewer .... Others Luv PaperPort

I use a couple of others for better reactions to colour ... or cause I need to get the MB down

Mike
:)

* July 14, 2010, 07:41:24 AM

Saves me having to print it / Scan it / save it as a JPG  .... which really gets MB heavy .... Then stretch the JPG to the correct size .... then start working on it

To save a few steps (and get a better quality output) you can use a free "print to jpg" on the .pdf file, instead of physically printing and scanning.

JoeM

* July 14, 2010, 06:13:35 PM
you can use a free "print to jpg" on the .pdf file,

Thanking you, Joe :) .... Downloading as we speak ...

Mike
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:15:19 PM by Mike90RR »

* July 15, 2010, 06:03:13 PM

.... Mmm ... after a fair bit of Google'ing and trying a few .... This "print to JPG" print driver still eludes me

Any tips on a good'un to try?

Cheers
Mike

* July 15, 2010, 07:12:57 PM

.... Mmm ... after a fair bit of Google'ing and trying a few .... This "print to JPG" print driver still eludes me

Cheers
Mike

I have good luck with Omniformat, it may work for you too.

Don

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* July 15, 2010, 07:49:26 PM

I have good luck with Omniformat, it may work for you too.

.... and ..... I'mmmm onto it  ;D

Cheers for that Don ... I'll have to sort it out on the Weekend, will give some feedback on how it went

Since I've got this thread going ... Any other compatibles that folks would like to suggest ... :)

Mike

July 16, 2010, 04:53:13 AM
I like omniformat for batch processing of multi-page PDF files.  I also like to convert PDF's consisting of individual pages to JPG by opening and re-saving in the free image editor, GIMP (very useful for converting rendered 3D images PDF-printed from Paper Space).

I did find the following link via google the other day; perhaps you'll find something else useful there:  http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-ways-to-convert-a-pdf-file-to-a-jpg-image/

<EDIT> Just be aware--someone just sent this to me: 
I checked the link yesterday and I down load this application Virtual Image Printer Driver (Windows) as I began the installation steps Windows Defender send up dialog indicating it has in color RED it has no digital signature well at that point I wasn't taking any chances and uninstalling what ever left of this program.So beware of this website who knows whats larking around there Trojans.Malware,Virus, etc.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:52:13 AM by Josh T. »

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com
TC Pro 18.2 & Platinum 2016

* July 17, 2010, 04:42:15 PM
I like omniformat for batch processing of multi-page PDF files.

I did find the following link via google the other day; perhaps you'll find something else useful there:  http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-ways-to-convert-a-pdf-file-to-a-jpg-image/

<EDIT> Just be aware-- point I wasn't taking any chances and uninstalling what ever left of this program.So beware of this website who knows whats larking around there Trojans.Malware,Virus, etc.
[/quote]

Josh ... Yes was fairly wary of that site, as a "Info gathering pop-up" happened in it .... I turned off Java Script to view the rest of the site ....

I vacate any site that has that kind of thing going on  >:(   

Some one posted up another Driver to use .... the results on the PDF were outstanding  ;D IMHO
I downloaded the program from here .... But have not tried it yet

http://www.exp-systems.com/

Cheers
Mike
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:44:02 PM by Mike90RR »

* July 18, 2010, 08:17:41 AM

Cheers
Mike

Sorry to take so long to reply.

Don't know if it will meet your needs - but I was referring to "PDFCreator".  It will print to the following formats: PDF, PNG, JPEG, BMP, PCX, TIFF, PS, EPS, and is free.

Hope this helps.

JoeM

* July 18, 2010, 06:39:16 PM

and is free.

Joe .... You speak my Language   8)

Cheers for that

Mike

July 18, 2010, 11:49:15 PM

I use CorelDraw to import the PDF as vectors and then save as DWG to bring it into TC so that I can use it as an editable drawing.

Regards,
Robert Berry
Direct: (707) 634-7753
Email:  rberry (at) imsidesign (dot) com

* July 19, 2010, 05:25:27 AM
[C so that I can use it as an editable drawing.

Now thats what I call cutting to the chase  :D

Cheers for that Robert

Mike

* July 19, 2010, 03:07:39 PM
[C so that I can use it as an editable drawing.

Now thats what I call cutting to the chase  :D

Cheers for that Robert

Mike

Mike,

Since you liked the "free" option, I thought I would mention CAD-Kas PDF2DXF, which is available as a free download (with the limitation that you can only translate one page - however, combined with a free .pdf printer, this is not a serious problem, since you can print to .pdf the pages you need as separate files).  It outputs a .dxf file that can be imported and edited in TurboCad.

Note that the .pdf file should contain a vector drawing for the conversion to work.  A .pdf file with a .jpg embedded in it will create an empty .dxf file.  Also, curves and circles will be polylines, and the accuracy of the polylines depends on the resolution of the .pdf's vector data.  I'm not certain, but I think these limitations would apply to Corel Draw's translation as well.  Maybe Robert Berry can comment.

Hope this helps.

JoeM
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:11:44 PM by JoeM »

* July 19, 2010, 06:05:10 PM

Since you liked the "free" option, I thought I would mention CAD-Kas PDF2DXF,

Note that the .pdf file should contain a vector drawing for the conversion to work.

limitations would apply to Corel Draw's translation as well.

Maybe Robert Berry can comment.

Yes Joe ... I am hoping Robert could elaborate also :)

I don't mind purchasing programs that work properly, but it can be a huge time consuming exy affair to try things out, and any info that can expand the subject will lead to better practices + results when using TC

Mike

July 19, 2010, 09:13:11 PM
Yes JoeM is correct in saying that resolution etc is very dependent on how the original PDF was saved. PDF can contain both vectors and/or bitmap and hence it may not work. If you want to email me the PDF I can try to quickly convert the drawing in my copy of CorelDraw X4 and send you back the DXF/DWG.

Since you liked the "free" option, I thought I would mention CAD-Kas PDF2DXF,

Note that the .pdf file should contain a vector drawing for the conversion to work.

limitations would apply to Corel Draw's translation as well.

Maybe Robert Berry can comment.

Yes Joe ... I am hoping Robert could elaborate also :)

I don't mind purchasing programs that work properly, but it can be a huge time consuming exy affair to try things out, and any info that can expand the subject will lead to better practices + results when using TC

Mike

Regards,
Robert Berry
Direct: (707) 634-7753
Email:  rberry (at) imsidesign (dot) com

* July 20, 2010, 06:37:21 AM
Yes JoeM is correct in saying that resolution etc is very dependent on how the original PDF was saved. PDF can contain both vectors and/or bitmap and hence it may not work.

Thanking you Robert for the offer of conversion ... I don't have a particular PDF that i'm wanting to convert, It's just that i'm starting to get PDF files thrown at me ....followed by the words .. "Wadda ya recon? ... Can yer whip that up for us"  :o   :D

I never new that some of the Drawing packages that the Graphic Designers use could actually save their work as a DWG or DXF .... This is HUGE insight for me  8)

..... Pay-back time .....

Mike

* July 22, 2010, 10:48:33 PM
If you use the snap shot tool that is in Adobe Reader and paste in TC

wd

I used the "snap shot" all day, today

I LUV IT !!!  

Cheers
Mike

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:50:24 PM by Mike90RR »