TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Free viewer for .TCW
Read 28783 times
* June 17, 2010, 10:42:29 AM
I need to send some .TCW files, generated in Turbocad 12 Pro, to customers who don't have Turbocad, but need to be able to see a 3D object from any angle, and comment.  Does Turbocad offer a free viewer similar to the one for Solid Works?
Is there a third party viewer?

* June 17, 2010, 11:04:45 AM
You could send your customers stp or iges files, and they could download one of the free viewers available on the Internet, and view your files that way.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:06:42 AM by GregT »

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

June 17, 2010, 02:12:16 PM
This is where 3D PDF would be very beneficial.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* June 17, 2010, 03:19:33 PM
I believe TurboCAD Designer 17 might work here; though not free, it is quite inexpensive. You would need to save a copy of your drawing using "Save proxy objects" under the "Setup" button.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* June 19, 2010, 06:41:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
 I am now saving the Tubocad drawings as DXF files, and the free viewer E-drawings from SolidWorks does a nice job of displaying them from any angle, manipulating layers etc.
Thanks again - Newt

* June 19, 2010, 06:56:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
 I am now saving the Tubocad drawings as DXF files, and the free viewer E-drawings from SolidWorks does a nice job of displaying them from any angle, manipulating layers etc.
Thanks again - Newt
as option could go with Autodesk dwg viewer since using dxf format.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=14185260
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 07:11:54 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* June 19, 2010, 07:54:33 PM
Was there ever a Turbocad viewer in the early days?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 07:57:01 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* June 19, 2010, 08:46:45 PM
They tried it once, maybe twice; V9, I think and maybe before. The viewer never caught on (couldn't give it away), especially when there were better viewers out there. Spatial has a great ACIS viewer and then there's TrueView.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* June 20, 2010, 07:47:18 PM
I was actually surprise your quite close.It was version 8.just think if they tweak it a bit to accept any version format&free no more dealing with other viewers.

* August 05, 2014, 07:00:05 AM
They tried it once, maybe twice; V9, I think and maybe before. The viewer never caught on (couldn't give it away), especially when there were better viewers out there. Spatial has a great ACIS viewer and then there's TrueView.

That is not entirely correct, as I was involved in the idea behind the viewer, and the need for it. The problem was, it needed to be free to our customers, but IMSI wanted to charge for it, and the customers refused to pay for a viewer, so instead of making it free, it was pulled.

* August 05, 2014, 07:41:50 AM
re: …the customers refused to pay for a viewer, so instead of making it free, it was pulled.

A real shame in my opinion. After it was mentioned that Designer (a product a user would pay for) had limited 3D capabilities (hotkeys) and could "view" and 'red line' files, those features were yanked.

Now they have their TurboApps.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* August 05, 2014, 02:47:02 PM
Casting my mind back, TC also used to have a format for something called 'Bitstream' or similar, which was a viewing format for a viewer called 'Viewpoint'.  It wasn't bad, but anything that needs plugins (which it did) or standalone viewers is probably going to meet resistance, which is one of the reasons that VRML faded, though it's quite good in Parallel Graphics' Cortona plugin, which is still available.  There's a format still in its early days called WebGL, which is a standardised 3D format that can be viewed and manipulated in an HTML5 browser, Firefox and Chrome, not sure about IE, it wasn't last time I tried.   I've an idea that iOS browser can, too.  Firefox and Chrome can also view TC's .svgs, too. The open-source CAD app FreeCAD is great as a viewer in its own right with STEP (colours carry but not materials) and IGES, but it also has some capability to produce WebGL, which I'm dabbling with ATM.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:58:55 PM by murray dickinson »

* August 05, 2014, 03:47:25 PM
Chuckling after noticing the dates - and the number of views.  It's the zombie thread apocalypse.....