TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Surface modeller plug in
Read 5661 times
* May 12, 2009, 08:27:36 AM
I have had a lookk at the blurb for this but it seems to be either me reading it wrong (title) or the title being wrong for the description.

It is by my understanding, a tool for creating 3d topographical surfaces only, rather than a surface modelling tool per-se.  Am I correct or have I been sniffing the mouse too much today?

Yours, barking of berkshire.

May 12, 2009, 09:19:27 AM
Mike the author of this tool calls it the Surface Modeler....
His website is http://www.surfacemodeling.com/
You are correct in your assessment that is more GIS based than what is
usually thought of as surface modeling.

Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager

May 12, 2009, 11:27:52 AM
Mike, I just got my copy installed and enabled, and am starting to use it.  For my purpose, (laying out a drive/road and foundation on a VERY convoluted 5 acre lot) it will work very well, importing the xyz data I've been generating from my surveys of the site.  Reading  the help file, it appears that I will be able to modify the TIN triangles to make them more closely approximate the topography between my data points, and to apply materials to the resulting surface/solids, as well as a host of profile, cross section, and slope tools that will all come in handy.  I'm not sure what type of surfaces you need to model, but for earth surfaces, it should fill my needs.  I hope that this helps you.  Steve

Steven D. Thompson

* May 12, 2009, 04:24:41 PM
Steve is exactly to the point. The term "Surface modeling" as used in civil site design means exactly what Steve describes. You start with an original terrain model or surface. Then as the site design delelops the model changes to become a final design. This final design usually saticfy some local ordinaces in some respect. Something like maximum grade or even flood control/midigation. In fact the name I chose was the name of the group I led that built simiular tools for AutoCAD and Microstation before they decided to build their own.

GIS is relatively new and mostly applies to data sources and coordinate transformation.

Topography is map making and visualization which is also cool stuff.

I strive to bring all of these together with TurboCAD and with the help of its users and forums like this I can get ideas for additions and improvements the plug-in.

Best Regards,
Jerry Simington

* May 13, 2009, 01:18:49 AM
Thanks chaps, I was confusing the term for generic CAD surface modeling, somewhat different then.