TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Crashes While Rendering
Read 10254 times
* June 16, 2009, 06:44:38 AM
Made a very simple drawing of a cabinet door.  Selected the door and used Properties | 3D | Simple Wood | Birch to make it a wood door (I've never seen a Brick door. - lol).  So far, so good.

When I tried to do a Draft Render, my door disappeared, the computer whirred and churned for ~30 - 45 seconds, and I got a message saying that that TC 16 Pro had encountered a problem and needed to close - and asked if I wanted to send a report to Microsoft (Why would they care??).  When I clicked "Don't Send", I was immediately looking at my Desktop.

HUH??!!

June 16, 2009, 09:47:09 AM
Which version of TC are you using?

Does this happen regularly?

Do you have hardware acceleration turned on? (options desktop)

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* June 16, 2009, 10:50:48 AM
As I said in my original post, I'm using TC Pro 16.  I recently upgraded to 16 and  it's done this every time I've tried to render.  I never had this problem in any of the earlier versions.  The Hardware Acceleration is OFF.

Quite frankly, Version 16 is becoming a PITA.  I got it because it supposedly improved the rendering (which I'm still struggling with), but this (along with the other problems I've posted) has me thinking that reverting to Version 15 and returning 16 might be a good plan.

June 16, 2009, 01:30:29 PM
Are you using the latest build of 16? (36.7)

You can find this by choosing about TurboCAD in the help menu.

Are you running this on Vista or XP?

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* June 16, 2009, 03:32:57 PM
Build 36.7 and Windows XP Home

June 16, 2009, 03:49:33 PM
This may be a software conflict.

I would disable any non essential processes and see if you run into the same thing. 

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* June 16, 2009, 07:59:57 PM
Possibly, but it didn't happen in Ver. 12 thru 15.2.  This, and the other problems I've posted, have me wondering if 16 is really ready for prime time.

* June 16, 2009, 08:13:02 PM
Post the file, Dave, and let's see whether the problem is with the drawing itself.

Henry H

* June 17, 2009, 05:46:26 AM
Here it is...........I hope.

[attachment deleted by admin]

June 17, 2009, 09:01:10 AM
Seems a little strange when I do a full render.  But did not crash.

it's done this every time I've tried to render. 

This drawing or any drawing?

didn't happen in Ver. 12 thru 15.2.

V16 is compiled using a newer version of visual studio, we may see some different conflicts than we did in the past.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* June 17, 2009, 09:24:17 AM
Seems a little strange when I do a full render.  But did not crash.

I gave it a try and no crashes here either. I tried Hiddenline, Draft (LW Smooth OpenGL), Quality (RTF) and Advanced Rendering. The only strangeness was the lighting in Quality due to the lights being very far away.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* June 17, 2009, 11:18:32 AM
"The only strangeness was the lighting in Quality due to the lights being very far away."

Not sure what you mean by "far away." None of the lights was even ON when I opened the drawing. I clicked "Restore defaults" in the Lights dialog and rendered in Raytrace Full with no problems or strangeness (except that the built-in "Birch" is a strange-looking material).

Henry H
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:29:22 AM by Henry Hubich »

* June 18, 2009, 06:36:05 AM
I made a similar drawing (attached) this morning using 15.2 and the  rendering seems to work fine - except for the really goofy look of "Birch".  I also tried to render the Ver. 16 drawing again, but once again wound up looking at my desktop.

I can see where 16 might look and act differently than 15.2, but can't believe that a "POOF" crash is part of the master plan.

P.S. - I moved from AutoCad LT to TC because I wanted to dazzle my customers with rendered, 3D, drawings of their cabinets/furniture.  Unfortunately, I've never been able to get any of the Wood choices to look remotely like what I make every day in the shop, so I've had to settle for isometric presentations. 

June 18, 2009, 06:58:22 AM
Unfortunately, I've never been able to get any of the Wood choices to look remotely like what I make every day in the shop, 

Try using wood image wraps.

* June 18, 2009, 01:05:46 PM
Don -

That's the kind of thing I had (have?) in mind, but I'm somewhere at the toddler stage right now.  I'm still trying to figure out the parameters in the Wood materials.  Grain Direction?  Trunk Center?  Whazzat and how do they work??  And, my favorite is "Grain Fuzz".  Say What!!?? - lol

In my experience, "Grain Fuzz" is what happens when you use a water based stain or finish on a piece of wood and the grain raises.  It isn't desirable, and you get rid of it with a light sanding. - lol

* June 18, 2009, 08:43:20 PM
I'm still trying to figure out the parameters in the Wood materials.

Don's approach is much easier, IMO, and more realistic, than fiddling with the various Wood material parameters. My favorite book on the subject devotes six pages and eight illustrations to this topic alone.

The attached .tcw file does make use of those Wood material parameters, and you may find it useful. When rendered in Raytrace Full mode, it'll look like the attached .jpg. You can select the various objects and look at their material properties.

Henry H

* June 19, 2009, 05:54:39 AM
Interesting info, Henry.  Thanks.

I had some time yesterday, so I drew a board in 15.2 and fiddled with the wood parameters.  It took a couple of hours, but I finally got some pretty decent looking wood.  The colors were never quite right, but I got good grain patterns.  All in all, it was a good practice session.

Unfortunately, I still have the POOF-CRASH problem with Ver. 16, so all the practice in the world isn't going to help if I crash every time I try to render a Ver. 16 drawing.

* June 19, 2009, 08:48:58 AM
Dave, do you mind posting your system info file? That way we can get an idea of your hardware and software environment.

Help/About TurboCAD -> Click on System Info button
File/Save "TC16.nfo"
zip and attach.

Thanks, 

Kevan

* June 19, 2009, 03:48:45 PM
It's 1.62 Megs.  How would I Zip it?

* June 19, 2009, 04:03:59 PM
In Windows Explorer, right-click on the file and choose "Send To / Compressed (zipped) Folder". Windows will create a file with a ZIP extension.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* June 20, 2009, 06:32:07 AM
Here you go, John.

Thaks

* June 27, 2009, 06:09:34 AM
Kevan -

I posted my system info file on 6/20, and see that it was downloaded once.  Did it tell you anything?

* June 29, 2009, 07:25:30 AM
Noticed that you have 512 Mb total physical memory but only 25.x Mb available. Looks like you have some large processes running in the background. On the other hand, you have all your virtual memory available (although the specified virtual memory is higher than what is recommended- usually 3 x physical memory). I would go to task manager and turn off any services that are running which you don't need.  It may be that the v16 rendering requires more memory than V15.

* June 29, 2009, 08:27:32 AM
Thanks for the nfo.

First thing I notice is, your drivers are six years old. I checked ATI's site to see if there are any updated XP drivers for the Radeon 9600. There are:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.24&lang=English
Try installing this latest driver to see if that helps.

Also, I see that you are running XP. This presents another possible solution -- try reducing the graphics acceleration setting for your display card.
Right-click on the XP desktop.
Choose Settings ->Properties -> Advanced ->Troubleshoot.
Move the hardware acceleration slider to the middle and see if the crashing stops. If it does, you can increase the acceleration in steps until you find the most that TurboCAD 16 will tolerate.

Somewhere I may still have an old 64MB graphics card -- when I can I'll try your file with that graphics card.

* August 16, 2009, 02:51:14 PM
I tried to load ATI's "Catalyst Software Suite", but got a message that it couldn't find a driver compatible with my system or hardware.  Now what?  - lol

* August 16, 2009, 05:05:57 PM
I have a brand new machine and the latest ATI drivers and still have TC crash on anything but simple models when doing either hidden line or solid renders. Methinks this is larger than a driver issue.

* August 17, 2009, 06:03:16 AM
BINGO!!

I dialed the graphics acceleration back another notch and rendering didn't make it go "poof".  I guess that I need to upgrade the graphics card or find a newer driver for what I have.

Now, if I can get the City Blueprint font back, life will be good.

* August 17, 2009, 11:11:06 AM
I guess that I need to upgrade the graphics card or find a newer driver for what I have.

TCad does not really need a high-end graphics card.

Henry H

* August 17, 2009, 12:39:55 PM
Henry -

I updated my graphics driver and that problem seems to be solved.............................finally - lol

Any thoughts on how I can get City Blueprint font back?

* August 17, 2009, 01:26:55 PM
re: Any thoughts on how I can get City Blueprint font back?

It's not in the Fonts list for one of your installed Versions of TC?
Or do you get the default font in the drawing when City Blueprint is used?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:58:38 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* August 19, 2009, 07:29:18 AM

YOu need to find a file with the extension

.TTF
.OTF
.PFM

Unfortunately, the file name can be anything. Double clicking on such a file type should display the font information.

Once you locate the font file, open the Control panel and go to fonts. Drag the file into the fonts folder.

I might suggest opening Word or some other application that has font section. Scroll the font list to see if the font you want might already be there.

* August 19, 2009, 07:43:26 AM
I found this. Is it of any use to you?

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5