TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Newbie with which could be a very easy question
Read 2147 times
* June 11, 2009, 01:09:07 PM
Hello

Im doing some drawings for work very simple rectangle 1994x794 with different shapes within the rectangle now what i need to do is shrink the size without shrinking the sizes of the internal shapes is it possable to do this.

ive tried what i thought would work is putting the shapes exactly where they need to be highlight the whole area and group the lot of it but it makes the shapes smaller too

hope you can help
thanks
dave

* June 11, 2009, 01:41:21 PM
From what I understand, you wish to just change the size of the rectangle that encapsulates all of the internal shapes?  If so, you could select just the rectangle and edit its size properties, which will appear at the bottom of the drawing as soon as it's highlighted.

If I'm understanding this wrong, please let me know.

* June 11, 2009, 08:37:37 PM
If your TCad version offers "Constraints," one approach is to Constrain the outline of the plate and the outlines of the internal features; then apply constrained locating dimensions to each of the internal features, and apply constrained size dimensions to the plate and to the internal features. In the Formula column of the Calculator Palette (where these dimensions will appear as Variables), express every locating dimension, and one dimension of the rectangular plate, as a function of the other dimension of the plate. Then, whenever you change the aforementioned "other dimension" in the Calculator Palette, both the overall size of the plate and the locations of the internal features will automatically change proportionately.

The attached screenshot shows the Calculator Palette entries for a simplified example of your problem: a rectangle containing one small internal rectangle and a small internal circle. "Var1" is the width of the rectangle; "Var2" is its height; "Var3" through "Var6" are the locations of the internal rectangle and internal circle; "Var7" & "Var8" are the dimensions of the internal rectangle; "Var9" is the diameter of the circle. Changing "Var1" in the Calculator Palette changes "Var2" through "Var6" in accordance with the formulas and leaves the others unchanged.

If your version does offer "Constraints" and you're not familiar with the concept, you'll probably want to consult the Help file on this topic.

*EDIT: Maybe I'm reading more into your question than I should. The attached "Rectangle with Internal Features.gif" shows the setup I referred to above, with three different values of "Var1." Note how the sizes and the relative locations of the internal features remain constant.

Henry H

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:49:58 PM by Henry Hubich »

* June 11, 2009, 09:16:02 PM
Another way to skin this cat is to use the Line Length tool. This is especially helpful when a rectangle lies on an angle and the Inspector Bar Size X,Y fields aren't what you expected.

John R.

[attachment deleted by admin]

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit