TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

version 17
Read 10121 times
March 26, 2010, 09:37:51 AM
Thanks for version 17, but my personal expectations were higher. First, there are no nVidia Quadro-FX series in supported GPU list. The Redsdk rendering result is bleary on inserted raster images. Lot of aged bugs aren't fixed- for example database decimal separator conflict or GUI missed icons ( mouse left click/local snap modes). The *pdf printing was newer been so cheesy. Looking for the better...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:41:00 AM by vornul »

* March 26, 2010, 04:30:06 PM
I believe the list in the system requirements provides the GPU series.  Unfortunately the Quadro-FX series is a group of cards that contain lots of different GPU types depending on which card in the Quadro-FX family it is.  We couldn't actually publish a list of each and every card or motherboard that is included.

If you know which GPU your Quadro FX has, then you can see if that GPU is in one of the GeForce Series supported.  It isn't easy to find this information on the NVIDIA web site, so I'm going to recommend the wikipedia site (even though I can't vouch for how accurate or complete it is).

For NVIDIA we support the GeForce 8 Series, GeForce 9 Series, and GeForce GTX Series GPU chip sets.  There are pages here that show the individual chip numbers on the right side, and mention some of the card families that include them.  Check these pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_9_Series

And you may then look at the Quadro FX family pages found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Quadro

If you see your card on the list, you can see the "Core" mentioned next to it.  On the GPU "Series" pages they list the cores by number in the right  side box, but they are listed as "codenames."

The Quadro FX line is sooo broad, that it contains both old and new, entry level and high-end cards.  Most of the 8 Series chips and 9 Series chips cover quite a few years, so frankly if your computer was less than 4 or 5 years old there is agood chance that the card will be supported.  Performance depends quite a bit on the power of the card though, so if it is an entry-level card you may not see much of a performance difference, and certainly not much of a difference unless you use larger modes that are slow in GDI mode (or TC16 and before).

Another tip if testing the Redsdk mode in wireframe is to try going to the main menu and selecting View - Redraw.  For many models this will push the geometry into cache (if there is enough VRAM on your card).   When the model is in cache it can provide another order of speed improvement.

-- william

March 27, 2010, 01:38:45 AM
Thanks for comments, I add some samples carried on nVidia Quadro FX4600
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:41:35 AM by vornul »

* March 28, 2010, 11:00:00 AM
I couple of comments.
The missing icons I experience my self but on different tools so I will need to investigate further.
this seems to be machine specific and I have not been able to duplicate on other machines.

The blurring of the raster image may have more to do with the aspect ratio of the original image.
The is not unique to TCAD.  Raster images, otherwise known as bitmap images all act this way no matter
what application you use.

The PDF export we continue to work on.  This is expected to improve in the near future.
I will try to follow this post with an update as soon as I get a little clarification from development.

The construction lines you are seeing are not construction lines but Auxiliary lines.  Turn them off by right-clicking
the work "SNAPS" on the status bar at the middle bottom of the screen.  turn off "Always Show Auxiliary Lines".
This was turned on by default so that newer users have an easier time getting going.

The group object color looks to me to be blue because you have somehow used the "edit tool" to select the group.
But it is hard to tell from your post.  Seeing the real file would be better if you feel like posting or emailing that to me.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:03:30 AM by Dave Taylor »

March 29, 2010, 12:56:04 AM
Thanks Dave! Please see attached file- TC and system info (zip).
About raster- video in Redsdk , render SUPRESS HIDDEN LINSES MODE mode used: (the right upper window on sample named "bleary and wrong") the raster image is OK and the group object color "blue" is correct.
On upper left window- video in Redsdk , render WIREFRAME MODE mode used: the Raster image is weak and group color is "black" and incorrect. In this sample simply used two different rendering modes, I suppose there are no matter with raster image aspect ratio.
OK, about pdf, lets be patient. In GDI mode the printing on pdf printers(pdf995 or adobe acrobat 9st)is 50/50 but if Redsdk is in use printed results are out of control.
About current sample lower left and right winwows- They aren't Auxiliary Lines and therefore is nothing to turn off or on. This lines are Construction Lines out of control from Viewport Layer control function. And as we see- on paper space Group color is "black"- it means WRONG, it must be BLUE by settins from Control panel.
Regards, Üllar Võrno
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:59:41 AM by vornul »

* March 29, 2010, 10:00:46 AM
The raster image issue is odd.  If you are in Redsdk mode and select View - Redraw does that correct the image?

March 29, 2010, 10:08:32 AM
NO

* March 29, 2010, 04:39:05 PM
Thanks for posting these .
I can cofirm the Auxilarly Lines issue..or I should say Construction Lines issue.
As well as the blury image issue.

I will report to development team and hope to have an update for you in the next day or 2.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:41:18 PM by Dave Taylor »

* March 30, 2010, 10:09:57 AM
Ãœllar,

Thank you for this high quality testing.
>> Group color is 'black' and incorrect.
You can face this problem in case your group lies on one layer and it’s child graphics on the other, and child graphics lie on the '0' layer. This problem will be fixed in 17.1, but now you can avoid it by moving group’s children to another layer.

>> Raster image is weak.
Obviously, you use an 'Output engine' property set to 'GDI+' for image drawing in GDI mode. This provides maximum quality. If you try to change this one to 'OpenGL' the quality will be the same as in Redsdk mode. It depends on the texture size restriction for the video-memory, your images are quite large – 6000x6000, and they go to the maximum suitable size for your video-card (1024x1024 for mine ). On the other hand, 'GDI+' performance is significantly worse.
There isn’t a simple decision how to fix it, because it depends on natural OpenGL limitations. We will think what can we do to fix it however.

>> This lines are construction lines out of control from Viewport Layer control function.
This issue will be fixed in 17.1. Thank you for finding it.

Vlad

March 30, 2010, 11:22:59 AM
Hello Vlad , I'm glad to receive commnets from You!
Is the nVidia Qudro FX4600 resources not enough for this size raster? How about decimal point separator problem in object custom database?
Best Regards, Ãœllar
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:29:27 AM by Ãœllar Võrno »

April 05, 2010, 12:45:27 PM
Last month I bought a Dell Studio XPS 8100.
It  has an Intel Core i5 processor 650 (3.2 Ghz, 4Mb.
6 Gbyte of DDR3 ram.
A Widescreen 1600x900 VGA/HDMI Widescreen panel  (not so happy?)
an fitted with a single 1 Gbyte NVideo GeForce GTS 240 video card.
The card seemed to be good for 3D Grafics and GPU applications as normally a
requirement for TurboCAD.
OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

The Video Card has a Specification of:

GeForce GT 240
On November 17, 2009 the GeForce GT 240 was officially launched.
40 nm GT215 GPU.
96 Stream Processors.
8 Raster Operation(ROP) units, 32 Texture Address(TA)/Texture Filter(TF) units.
17.8 billion texels/s fillrate.
550 MHz core clock, with a 1340 MHz unified shader clock.
850 MHz memory, 3400 MHz data rate, with a 128-bit memory interface.
512MB/1GB of GDDR5 memory.
54.4 GB/s memory bandwidth for boards configured with GDDR5 850 MHz memory.
727M transistor count.
DirectX 10.1, Shader Model 4.1, OpenGL 3.2, and PCI-Express 2.0.
Supports 4th generation PureVideo HD technology.
Built-in audio processor for 8 channel LPCM audio output.
Supports CUDA. Compute Capability 1.2.

I thought that I had chosen reasonably well for the price range.
I down loaded the TurboCAD trial and it runs with no apparent problems and quite lively compared to my 5 year old P5.
Now I have read up on the Redsdk and it appears my card doesn't support this?
I'm not over disappointed because the video response seems an advancement and I
don't do those high level renderings some of you guys do, nor do  I have pages of drawing plans,  but I would appreciate comments on where the GTS 240 lies in the video stakes?   :-\
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:50:07 PM by Geoff »

Geoff Malthouse

* April 05, 2010, 02:12:06 PM
Geoff, don't be disappointed at not being able to use Redsdk. My system will handle it, but I've tried it out a number of times and decided I do not like it.

Henry H

* April 05, 2010, 02:49:12 PM
Hi Geoff,

It's not that the GeForce GT240 isn't a good card, but at this time we support cards made from most high-end chipsets that were made in the last 4-5 years.  Unfortunately the GeForce GT240 uses the GT215 GPU, and from the NVIDIA line we currently support only systems and cards with the GeForce 9 Series, GeForce 8 Series, and GTX Series GPUs. 

The GT215 GPU is considered a mid-level GPU and on a GT240 it is designed as a mid-level gaming card.  Some gaming cards will work fine, others not, and it is possible that some cards and chipsets outside of the range we mention will work too.  In some cases this is also driver and OS version specific, which makes it very difficult for us to be precise in discussing exact system requirements.

I don't know, and unfortunately can't really even comment on, whether or not the GT2xx series GPUs will be supported at a later date.  Some of this is out of our hands and with Redway3d for their development priorities.  Part may require some driver changes by NVIDIA; I just don't know.

As you have a newer system and are seeing better performance already, perhaps using Redsdk mode is not critical for what you do today.  If you are using smaller models and don't have big performance issues, then you might not see much benefit with Redsdk mode anyway, as Henry mentioned, in his particular case he isn't seeing the benefit.  If on the other hand you are using very large models that slow your system down dramatically when trying to pan, zoom, or move the model, then Redsdk would have been invaluable.

-- William

April 06, 2010, 12:22:59 AM
Thank you for your well considered reply William.  I feel reassured already.
Perhaps the on board memory of 1 Gbyte had mesmerized me considering that my past video cards  were at the most only a quarter of this?
But I must learn to be satisfied with what I've got and what I can afford!
And now I have read Henry's message I am now even more satisfied!
Thank you.  Thanks Henry.

PS:
Where's John?
He's normally lurking in these early hours  ...

Geoff Malthouse

* April 06, 2010, 12:51:53 AM
I'm here, somewhere. Do you miss my smiling face?   :D

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

April 06, 2010, 01:27:59 AM
Hi John,
Its reassuring that you are about!

Geoff Malthouse

April 06, 2010, 11:51:34 PM
I would like to canalise the discussin back to trail:
1.The Redsdk rendering result is bleary on inserted raster images.
2.Lot of aged bugs aren't fixed- for example database decimal separator conflict or GUI missed icons ( mouse left click/local snap modes).
3.The *pdf printing was newer been so cheesy.

* April 07, 2010, 12:27:22 PM
We continue to work on items 1 and 3.
I will discuss the DB issues in item 2 with development now.
However you will have to elaborate on the "Lot of aged bugs" comments a bit more please.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:59:43 PM by Dave Taylor »

April 08, 2010, 02:12:14 AM
Thanks, about decimal separator problem:
http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,2247.0.html
the other topic "missing icons" was illustrated at the beginning of current discussion.

* April 08, 2010, 07:33:44 AM
From what I can see, no version of TurboCAD has ever had icons for the Single Snap functions found in the Local Menu. The icons shown in the "Modes / Snaps" menu became available in Version 9 and they turn a Snap On until you elect to turn it Off. These are two different tools, though similar. This seems more of a 'wish list' item than a BUG to me.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

April 09, 2010, 03:13:42 AM
Thanks, I agree "Snap Modes" and "Single snap" are different tools, for end user only bit different. But, whyfor the "Single Snap" appears in local menu as "Local Snap"? The GUI couldn't designed as guesswork and if clear menus are special option  so be it item for "wish list"
PS. please see Dave Tailor comments from March 28, 2010, 10:00:00 AM in current discussion

* April 09, 2010, 12:28:06 PM
re: But, why for the "Single Snap" appears in local menu as "Local Snap"?

It has been like that from the beginning of TurboCAD. I think the differences are explained in Help under Running and Local Snaps. I'm guessing that the name "Local Snaps" was chosen long ago due to the fact that they are on the "Local Menu". Until now, I don't believe anyone saw the name or the missing icons as a BUG.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* April 10, 2010, 03:04:18 AM
I dont know if this is the best thread to ask this on.
[title is appropriate (and discussion V interesting btw)]   :

My TC16 and 17 plat are d/l versions with pdf help.

Has anyone, or IMSI, written a book on turbocad at the TC16/17 level,
or is the pdf file available in bookform?
[printouts never seem to bind up any way acceptably for frequent reference]

Regards
Frank G
TC17plat Vista ult

* April 10, 2010, 08:01:01 AM
re: or is the PDF file available in book form?

See the Documention section on this Support page. "Learn more about TurboCAD 17 Print on Demand User Guide."

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

April 10, 2010, 11:08:23 PM
About missing icons. Simply they are missing and menus visual comfort is deficient. And no explanations are improvable, all we know, machine work as it designed.
PS. All snaps are ""LOCAL"" in meaning aperture parameters, the correct value would be for example "Single sanps"
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:51:50 AM by Ãœllar Võrno »

April 19, 2010, 06:01:54 AM
Some remarks more: still the TC17 trial was installed, the machine (Configuration. described above) was fall in love with "BLUESCREEN CRASH". After uninstalling 30days trial- what really works 15 days- no more "BLUESCREENS".

* April 19, 2010, 10:46:49 AM
I want to be sure that I am understanding you correctly.
Are you still gettin Blue Screens, Yes or No?

April 20, 2010, 02:32:40 AM
Thanks Dave, no more "BLUESCREENS" after uninstall V17 about week ago. The answer is  "NO"

May 06, 2010, 10:52:21 PM
The Redsdk ( http://www.redway3d.com/pages/redsdk.php) supports lot of video cards/GPUs and Operating Systems, but the nVidia certified driver (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/ws_partner_certified_drivers.html) is quite aged- 169.39 Release Date: 22.02.2008 : Windows Server 2003/XP Professional x64 Edition. Using this kind aged driver affects on the other applications.