TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Placing a box on a cylinder
Read 4815 times
* June 06, 2009, 10:43:04 AM
What is the best way to get a box to sit on top of a cylinder.  In the jpeg there are the to flaps that I want to sit in the corner where the two cylinders meet. Admittedly they are only off by less than .001 but would still like to know how to get them in place.

Also, what would you do to show a weld?  My idea is to make a triangle and extrude, any better Ideas?

Matthew

Edit: Forgot to add I'm using Ver. 16 Platinum edition

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 10:59:53 AM by RCFlyingKnight »

Just a hobby user.
TurboCAD Vr. 18.2 Platinum
TurboCAD Vr. 2015 Platinum
TurboCAD Vr. 2016 Platinum
PC - Intel i7, 3.2 GHz, 32GB RAM, Window 10 64bit
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1GB RAM

* June 06, 2009, 12:27:27 PM
What is the best way to get a box to sit on top of a cylinder. 

Here's one way: First, move the Reference Point of the box to whatever part of it you want to be in contact with the cylinder. I'm not clear what "on top" means here, but it looks like you want the box to be tangent to the curved face of the cylinder. If this is the case, click the "Selector 3D Properties" icon on the Inspector Bar and set both Extents CS and Coordinate system to "User CS." Then select the cylinder and click the "Set UCS by Selector" button on the Inspector Bar. This resets the reported Pos values of the cylinder to zero. Finally, select the box and change its Pos values as required, being aware that these values will be using the center of the cylinder as the reference -- which means that one of the Pos values should be equal to the radius of the cylinder.

Also, what would you do to show a weld?  My idea is to make a triangle and extrude, any better Ideas?

Extruding a triangle is a reasonable approach. Or use a more realistic cross section if you want greater realism. Alternatively, Boolean-Add the parts to be welded and Chamfer or Fillet the joint.

The attached illustration shows a weldment created in TCad using a "more realistic cross section" and making extensive use of wrapped images for "Textures" and "Patterns."

Henry H

* June 06, 2009, 03:42:30 PM
Thank you Henry 

I was able to move the parts to where I want them.  I'm having a bit of trouble with the filleting though, also I'm getting the degenerate solid message when I try to add the two cylinders,  I'll post back after I try to solve these problems.

Matthew

Just a hobby user.

* June 06, 2009, 06:55:07 PM
You can locate the cylinders, and the box, using 3D construction polylines from the features of the components, too.   For example, centre-to-centre or quadrant-to-quadrant coaxially with the cylinders.   Allowing a bit of overlap between 3D objects is a useful talisman against degeneration.  If you've built the cylinders so that the faces occupy the same space, it can be a bit of an invitation to troubles.    Your picture's fabulous Henry.  I wish my welds looked like that in real life.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 07:07:30 PM by murray dickinson »

* June 09, 2009, 06:43:09 PM
Well I figured out the degenerate solid, apparently my horizontal cylinder was out of place just enough to cause a problem.  As to the filleting, no can do, the fillet always goes the wrong way, still trying to figure this out. ::)

Matthew

Just a hobby user.

* June 09, 2009, 07:59:30 PM
As to the filleting, no can do, the fillet always goes the wrong way, still trying to figure this out. ::)

Care to post the file?

Henry H

* June 09, 2009, 08:20:23 PM
The weld is fabulous Henry, as always.  Did that take forever, or just the right know-how?  Care to post that file?

Good to see your work!
John

John Murphy

Lenovo Yoga ThinkPad
Windows 10 64 Enterprise
Core i7-4600 CPU 2.70GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4400

* June 09, 2009, 09:49:32 PM
Did that take forever, or just the right know-how?  Care to post that file?

Thanks, John. I almost never know exactly how much time I spend on a drawing. This one didn't take too long, although the materials did require a bit  of tweaking.

Ordinarily I'd be happy to post a drawing, but it would be awkward in this case, because the materials use four different images, a couple of which are rather large. Perhaps it'll help if I mention that the weld itself is a Sweep along an almost circular path which is intentionally imperfect. Its Texture is "Wrapped height map," using the image attached herewith.

Henry H

* June 10, 2009, 07:32:47 PM
Found my filleting problem  :)

In a new drawing I made boxes and cylinders different ways and found that I couldn't fillet a spin it need to be exploded to a acis solid first.  Unfortunately I have to redo the drawing because I saved it all added together last time I was playing around.  I'll post a picture of the finished model when done redrawing it.

Matthew

Just a hobby user.

* June 11, 2009, 05:57:47 AM
Thanks Henry!  I have some drawings that really should show such a weld to look realistic.  I'll have to see what I can come up with when I have a little time to work with it.

Regards,
John

John Murphy

Lenovo Yoga ThinkPad
Windows 10 64 Enterprise
Core i7-4600 CPU 2.70GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4400