TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Was TC 11.2 the pinnacle for standard designing/drawing?
Read 6025 times
* June 05, 2009, 12:21:09 PM
Well, I have stuck with 11.2 pro for the past three to four years – I paid for the 12 and 12.5 upgrades, but never really got on with them, 11.2 just ‘works’ and is more ‘intuitive’. For example the newer version would never keep the last tools you use as first choice in the tools dock (a small matter I know, but it niggles), with 12-12.5 Pro, there seemed to be a limit applied to how complex an object I could hatch, a restriction that isn’t found on the 11.2 Pro version – it was for this reason I decided to uninstall 12 and go back to the former.

Last week I received an email from the TC distributors for TC 16 Platinum, £260 upgrade from V 12. I thought I’d buy it, after reading how much had been improved, and the better rendering and advanced offsetting it promised may come in useful.

Unfortunately, it seems to have all the exact same problems that irked me so much with v12, plus some whopping new ones!  The worst still is the limit imposed to what I can hatch – to me this is a big problem (hatching a small portion of a larger object takes a lot more time), as I need to draw complex photo etched files, which need to be hatched together for each part. I can do this without drama with 11.2, but not V16, why is this? Today, I had two ‘unhandled exceptions’ (was doing nothing special, just basics), which luckily, I managed to retrieve from the auto back up file. Finally, there seems to be annoying ‘lag’ when selecting/deselecting any object that is more complex than a few lines! (I see TC still has major issues with curves/circles in 3-d – again worse than 11.2 – I have no idea why!)

I have set up TC 16 on my home and work PC’s, both very powerful and new workstations running XP Pro – both share the same problems.

I absolutely love TC, I use it every day for 8-10 hours – but I have to say that I am very disappointed with the latest iteration – and still not optimised for duel/quad core CPU’s!

I have to be honest and say that if your work involves 2-d line drawings, with the odd 3-d or render, I cannot help but think that 11.2 Pro was/is the pinnacle of the TC programming – it is bug free, very fast and has little to no issues – I may have to revert to it again, as the time it saves over V16 after 40+ hours per week of use cannot be ignored (especially when working to deadlines)

Chris

* June 05, 2009, 01:00:50 PM
I certainly agree that 11.2 was an excellent version and that v12 was a great disappointment. However, although I have not seen any improvement in its rendering capabilities, v16 contains enough useful new features that I do like it and use it just about exclusively. Haven't run across the hatching limit you mention -- could you post a file that demonstrates this problem? Another question: Can you elaborate on the issues with curves/circles in 3D?

Henry H

* June 05, 2009, 01:30:25 PM
Hi Henry,

OK, I get a warning window which reads;
“Cannot create hatch.
The total number of polylines/vertices exceeded limit (500/15000).

I just opened the same file up in TC 11.2, and the drawing hatched within a blink of the eye!

The curve problem is only when working in 3-d – when selecting and moving an object with any more than a few arcs/curves/circles, the drawing can take a while to regenerate – is this because it recognised the curves and individual multiple lines?

Just realised I had another issue today, it doesn’t seem to like Microsoft Outlook running in concert with TC 16!

* June 05, 2009, 01:55:33 PM
Hi Chris.   I would like to work on your specific issues with you.  To do so we need to take them case by case.
First and foremost it is critical for us to be able to duplicate anything bad behavior you may be experiening.
As Henry has requestd if you can post the file(s) that you are working on that saves a lot of time in determining
whether it file specific or more programatic in nature.  We look at many files that have strange annomolies that can cause problems.

As for system crashes I run Outlook all day long with TC as do most in our office.   So we haven't had any interelated troubles.
Again it really is hard to fix a crashing problem unless we can determine what is the root.  For instance are you crashing when
using a particular tool?   Do you get an Unhandled Exception.   If so can you send us the crash details.  TC allow you to create a
text file of the details.

Lastly make sure you are on the latest build you should be running 36.7.  If not please run the update

http://www.turbocad.com/Support/TurboCAD16Support/tabid/1183/Default.aspx

* June 05, 2009, 02:19:29 PM
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your offer of help (after parting with £260, I would rather try and stick with TC16)
I have attached a file which contain the particular two drawings which I cannot hatch. Also, if there are too many polylines selected (like when selecting one of the two drawings on the file). the layer and colour options are greyed out at the top of the drawing space - this is a big problem for me, as the drawings are used both for suppliers to make the parts, and also for assembly drawings that I have to make, the latter being black. (The black lines on the Cyan layer were put there by me, as this has tabs, but are removed for the 3-d drawing and hatching).

I just noticed another minor hiccup - I have lost all my personal keyboard shortcuts, and it has reverted back to default.

I have the latest version - 36.7

Thank you,

Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

June 05, 2009, 02:22:25 PM
V16 pro is improved regarding cross sections. Even 12 was better than 11 in this respect. I found 11 would produce cross sections of various parts on various workplanes. Open the same drawing in v12 and cross sections performed ok. Best thing about 11, apart from being pretty robust, was that it could save as v10.5 which is vba territory.

Alan.
Platinum 21. & Deluxe 21.
TC user since 1995. (version 3)

* June 05, 2009, 03:34:44 PM
Hi Chris,

I had a look at your file.

If you select the whole of the lower drawing and then "Join polyline".
Then re-select the same again, then you can hatch.

Regards,

Paul.

Edit: works for both drawings individually.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:40:39 PM by Paul »

* June 05, 2009, 06:28:11 PM
Well, I have stuck with 11.2 pro for the past three to four years – I paid for the 12 and 12.5 upgrades, but never really got on with them, 11.2 just ‘works’ and is more ‘intuitive’.

Well put Chris I'm total agreement 11.2 is the pinnacle .It be awesome if it is still available.I buy another copy.It would be great if they could build version that is stable as 11.2.The other day I read that Ver.16 at one point would vanish during a session shut down. I got chuckle at that. i never had program just disappear during operation. .

Lets hear for 11.2  

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:04:26 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

June 10, 2009, 09:23:17 AM
The other day I read that Ver.16 at one point would vanish during a session shut down. I got chuckle at that. i never had program just disappear during operation.

It happens!  No warning!  I agree 11.2 was the most stable.  If we had the stability along with the new features!

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

June 10, 2009, 09:46:28 AM
The other day I read that Ver.16 at one point would vanish during a session shut down. I got chuckle at that. i never had program just disappear during operation.

It happens!  No warning!  I agree 11.2 was the most stable.  If we had the stability along with the new features!

Just starting V16 one time yesterday, shut the whole computer down. I haven't had anything like that happen for a very long time.

Just to be fair though - you should try working with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator - they offer their fair share of freeze ups - and they obviously have a larger development fund and support team that IMSI does. I think it is all the complex programming. It is surprising that we are not plagued with issues all the time.

June 10, 2009, 10:57:58 AM
Just starting V16 one time yesterday, shut the whole computer down. I haven't had anything like that happen for a very long time.

Don,  I have had programs shutting down that never were a problem.  I wonder if Microsoft is part of the problems with their updates.  Using XP Home SP-3.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* June 10, 2009, 10:58:33 AM
Providing maximum stability is always the major goal for us as software developers.  In order for us to fix any problem that exist with TC we must be able to reproduce it.  If you get a UE (Unhandled Exception) it is very helpful to get the crash details from you.   From the UE dialog you should be able to get to the details and be able to  save the crash file as a .DAT other text format.     If this happens please take the time to either email me directly or post the crash log.    UEs occur if the problem are solely on TC’s end.  

Non UE crashes are typically  platform or system crashes.   In this case as Don eluded to the first thing we suggest doing is to shut down any non system programs and processes.   If you do discover any conflicting software or device drivers when running TC please let us know and we'll do our best to address them quickly.

June 10, 2009, 11:14:34 AM
Don,  I have had programs shutting down that never were a problem.  I wonder if Microsoft is part of the problems with their updates.  Using XP Home SP-3.

I had to rebuild my hard drive last month and when I did all the MS updates I stopped at SP2 as I had previously noticed computer drag with SP3

June 25, 2009, 12:16:43 PM
It is surprising that we are not plagued with issues all the time.

Agreed, just got rid of Vista and went back to xp because of all the problems.  MS has had over a year to fix it's bloated software and has unlimited funds.  When the founder has to step down as CEO so he can work full time giving his money away instead of fixing his software, well, nuf said.  And I don't see any software that takes advantage of Intel's quad core.  Even Activision told me that COD was designed for a 32 bit, not 64 bit system and uses 1 core.  I am very disappointed in the hardware and software on the market today.  And it's hot, very very hot.  My new flat screen monitor and quad core computer have raised the temp in my office by 5 degree's above the rest of the house. >:(

I have 3 great looking kids, thank God my wife cheats on me.
Using V15.2, Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit