TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Adding new materials
Read 2453 times
* June 04, 2009, 11:42:39 PM
I just received TurboCad 14 today.  While I was browsing through the manual I saw a potential problem. 

I will be using TurboCad to design furniture.  The client will choose a mica chip. I will go to the mica manufactures website, download that color and apply it to the furniture.

The problem is that all their color samples are jpeg files.  The turboCad manual says that jpegs are export only.

Will I be able to apply these mica colors to my product?  If so, I don't need a detailed explanation, just a general concept.  I don't want to spend months learning to design with TurboCad only to learn I can't apply a mica finish.

You can see mica color samples at www.wilsonart .com

Thank you.  Brett

* June 05, 2009, 01:47:15 AM
re: Will I be able to apply these mica colors to my product?

Yes.

If you're creating your designs in 3D, you can apply the chip image to a custom LightWorks material. See Options / Materials. You would want to create a new Category dedicated to your chips and then create a new Material for each individual chip color. From the Pattern section you would probably use Wrapped Image or Wrapped Filtered Image; this is where you assign your chip jpg. Then you need a Reflectance shader; Matte is a starter choice. Henry Hubich has a reasonably priced book at CADCourse.com that explains all the ins-n-outs when working with Materials.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* June 07, 2009, 08:52:31 PM
Thanks John.

I will start off with a simple shape and learn to apply materials from there.

Is there much of an improvement that v16 or v16 Pro has over v14 in applying materials?

* June 07, 2009, 10:02:02 PM
Is there much of an improvement that v16 or v16 Pro has over v14 in applying materials?

A slight improvement; you have a drag-n-drop feature. You can click on the material in the palette and drag-n-drop it onto an object. If the "Drag on facet" is checked in the palette's Local Menu, you can drag-n-drop a material onto a facet within the object. An available facet will light up. You still have the Facet Edit tool work with for those situations where drag-n-drop isn't feasible.

There is a Help file that's accessible while working with the various shaders. There is also many more shaders to work with. A complete list can be seen in the Wiki site at: LightWorks Table of Contents.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit