TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Lightworks Luminance Lighting for Internal views
Read 742 times
* July 10, 2019, 07:31:43 PM
Thanks to Henry H for providing a solution to flouro lighting and luminance that I just happen to come across for my animation project. So all Ive done is take the white luminance from Henrys fluorescenttube7_v18Format.tcw see here: http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,5846.0.html

and just modified the luminance for red lighting by changing the colour.
see fluorescenttube7_v18Format-Daz-Luminance.JPG

Question 1
Is this the correct way to use the luminance here for red flouro lighting for say night time or damage control animation?

Question 2
Do I need to use the same settings Rendering - Quality settings for all internal luminance lighting for my animations as up until now Ive just been using LW raytrace full?.
see fluorescenttube7_v18Format-Daz-rendering.JPG

In the steering-compartment-render(at)188seconds.JPG image Ive turned off the transom layer so that I can get an idea of the view and detail etc ( using standard LW lights and no luminance lights yet )  within the steering gear compartment just for modelling. And now Ive gotta ditch all the standard lights and use luminance lights I presume given that its all internal modelling and animation.

Question 3
So how do I manage the camera for viewing the internal luminance lighting with the transom layer turned on?
Just for clarity here, when rendering how can I see the inside the render result with the camera, is there any technique for managing this?

Question 4
In Henrys original model the luminance is attached to a 3D mesh that sits just below the flouro light model, do I need to use the same technique or can I attach directly to the flouro tube?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:36:21 PM by Darryl W »

Daz
TCW V21, 2016-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5, TurboPDF V2-V3 & LightWorks Rendering Engine mostly.

* July 10, 2019, 07:39:49 PM
Heres the flouro light that Im using inside the fremantle design.

Daz
TCW V21, 2016-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5, TurboPDF V2-V3 & LightWorks Rendering Engine mostly.

* July 11, 2019, 12:52:19 AM
Just in case I made this post too complex, how can I light the steering gear compartment with a luminace and still view with the camera?

Or should I use luminance and remove the transom temporarily for viewing detail?

Whatever method I need to use then its likely to be the same approach for all other lower deck compartments.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:53:53 AM by Darryl W »

Daz

* July 11, 2019, 04:38:21 PM
Heres my flouro light fitting used inside Henrys original fluorescenttube7_v18Format.tcw file.

Its somewhat darker in colour and doesnt look as vibrant as the original  http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,5846.0.html

Also the underside has some shadows appearing, most likely due to the glass that Ive used on the flouro fitting.

But what strike me most is that it may not be suitable for engineering spaces lighting alone, I might have to use additional standard lights, can someone confirm?

Attached the epack file also.

Daz

July 12, 2019, 07:51:05 AM
Hi Darryl

Oh Lightworks... had a play and edited quite a few things to get the light and materials to be more physically correct on par with RedSDK.
Applying the luminance to the actual tubes the light is brighter rather than a single facet.
Removing ambient factors in the materials also to avoid washing it out to much.
Using Lit Appearance help to cheat the cover lens with a Wrapped Grid transparency to look more believable...
Hopefully the look you require...
Those "Shadows" you mentioned are actually reflections inside the lens cover.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:10:27 AM by Darrel Durose »

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* July 12, 2019, 02:22:14 PM
Hi Daz and thankyou for taking a look at the flouro lights, based on your work I now presume that I will need extra lights to bring the focus back to things like the flouro cover ( which is above the light itself ) of which I set to a wheat material for example. Since the flouro sheds light below for the most part this would be okay but I guess that having a dark background above the light would exclude the details above in say the steering gear compartment. Your comments here?

Daz

July 13, 2019, 04:54:48 PM
Hi Darryl

Well yes, in an enclosed environment additional lights or the use of Global Illumination would really be needed to illuminate things above the lights and objects out of the direct line of light sources/reflections.

There are some bugs I think with Area lights as in Quality modes the light emits from a different side from using Advanced Modes... rather strange behaviours going on …. This is where RedSDK does a better job for both lights and GI...

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels

* July 13, 2019, 09:00:08 PM
Darrell in your opinion is redsdk lights gunna be better than lw for my internal  lighting?

"There are some bugs" is this in my drawing or is that general to lw?

Ive always been a fence sitter re lights but will change if thats required.

Daz

* July 14, 2019, 03:06:24 PM
Darrell from your last reply Ive mostly been happy with lw in quality raytrace and never needed to go into advanced rendering in either render engine. But now youve got me questioning if I take the rendering into advanced mode in either engine am I likely to create further overhead ( Im referring to time to generate the graphics) to create images for animation?

Sometime back Don Cheke created a Lightworks Internal Lighting video on youtube and from my opinion that video and the lighting Don did was very good. Im not second guessing your knowledge with tc here, just seeking an opinion of the merits of sticking with lightworks v redsdk.

Just been checking the advanced modes in lightworks and there is no global illumination, whereas redsdk has 4 options, are these your preferred choice in my designs for internal lighting?

Daz

July 15, 2019, 01:37:07 PM
Yes, RedSDK is better for lights for more realistic results.
Bugs are in Lightworks not your drawing. RE: Area lights emitting from different faces Quality vs AR modes.
Quality Raytrace and other modes are okay and as for AR modes these could actually be better regarding overheads as if I remember correctly with Animations especially the lights and material shaders are not reloaded for each frame

I did play with the Realtime Lightworks mode in AR which you could find good for animations.
The RedSDK render engine is worth looking as it has the options for saving the GI Cache so saves having to keep doing the GI render phases.

Lightworks does have GI modes in AR... see attached:

I could never go back really to Lightworks for my work as it's has no realtime tone mapping...

Daz…

* July 15, 2019, 02:27:25 PM
Okay Darrell I will try redsdk lighting instead, Majo will be happy to hear that.
So just that I get this straight lw reloads the GI cache for every render image and redsdk does not?

That's gotta to be an improvement in rendering time alone. So Ive figured out how to use the macro recorder to remove all material properties for all objects in the active drawing and once Ive done that for all animation drawings I will start with redsdk materials.

Daz

* July 16, 2019, 06:39:41 AM
Hi Darryl

Well yes, in an enclosed environment additional lights or the use of Global Illumination would really be needed to illuminate things above the lights and objects out of the direct line of light sources/reflections.

There are some bugs I think with Area lights as in Quality modes the light emits from a different side from using Advanced Modes... rather strange behaviours going on …. This is where RedSDK does a better job for both lights and GI...

Hi Daz  :)

What bugs? in quality using radiosity... ;D

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3