TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

shadows
Read 289 times
July 13, 2019, 08:35:24 AM
Picayune I know but regarding shadows in the real world they tend to gradually range from sharp & crisp at the start, then slightly fuzzy at the mid point, then much out of focus at the end - using sunlight as its source.

Look at a house’s roof line or a tree’s trunk, the greater the distance the shadows are from its origin the more ill-defined it becomes i.e. shadows close-up perhaps 1/2'” away the shadow’s edge is quite crisp, however shadow edges from leaves on the top of trees are blurry indeed, to clouds at thousands of feet up produce their shadows edges several feet wide (going bright to dark).  Does the newer release take this realistic characteristic into account?

Bob

* July 13, 2019, 10:19:53 AM
No.

Henry H

* July 19, 2019, 05:31:40 AM
Picayune I know but regarding shadows in the real world they tend to gradually range from sharp & crisp at the start, then slightly fuzzy at the mid point, then much out of focus at the end - using sunlight as its source.

Look at a house’s roof line or a tree’s trunk, the greater the distance the shadows are from its origin the more ill-defined it becomes i.e. shadows close-up perhaps 1/2'” away the shadow’s edge is quite crisp, however shadow edges from leaves on the top of trees are blurry indeed, to clouds at thousands of feet up produce their shadows edges several feet wide (going bright to dark).  Does the newer release take this realistic characteristic into account?

Bob

The Area light gives a intensity fall off with a widening of the shadow even with transparency shadow active.
Attached is a rather extreme example using a white ground in order to display the fall off. The fall off is more effective when there's a ground material or environment, might be useful.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 05:34:40 AM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3