TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

checkering
Read 96 times
May 14, 2019, 11:31:24 AM
Question regarding a TC 18 Pro:

How would/could you go about applying checkering (as in Gun Grips) onto an irregular surface such as a lofting? 

Bob

* May 14, 2019, 12:50:43 PM
See if these threads help. ( one of them yours  ;) )

Previous thread from 2015.
Henry's grip in the gallery.

May 15, 2019, 07:47:35 AM
Being I intend to make pistol grips on a 3D Printer (Creality® 10S Pro) the checkering would have to be true 3D geometries, consequently if applying the features to a sphere demonstrative for a worse case scenario. 

In order to maintain consistent cut depth the individual isosceles triangles would grow more acute (smaller at its summit) as the triangle is placed toward the either poles of the sphere -relating that to the earth’s globe.

To do this, I think you’d need to use an offset spline offset from the base surface for each groove being different – but probably taking excessive computer memory achieving that especially when applying that configuration to a formed grip –(small hands – large hands) along with having the checkering feature.

* May 15, 2019, 08:47:48 AM
Being I intend to make pistol grips on a 3D Printer (Creality® 10S Pro) the checkering would have to be true 3D geometries, consequently if applying the features to a sphere demonstrative for a worse case scenario. 

In order to maintain consistent cut depth the individual isosceles triangles would grow more acute (smaller at its summit) as the triangle is placed toward the either poles of the sphere -relating that to the earth’s globe.

To do this, I think you’d need to use an offset spline offset from the base surface for each groove being different – but probably taking excessive computer memory achieving that especially when applying that configuration to a formed grip –(small hands – large hands) along with having the checkering feature.

Let's use a worst credible case scenario, Bob. Checkering a sphere is asking too much, IMO.

Henry H
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 08:50:20 AM by Henry Hubich »