TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Rope and Block
Read 2864 times
* February 24, 2010, 10:34:28 PM
I recall purchasing TurboCad version 4 back in the dark days of DOS.
I never quite got the hang of it. 
Moved through Designer 9 on a discount software whim. 
I actually got some decent 2D drawings from it--and lost some hair.
Now I am wondering around Deluxe 14 and still swamped by the possibilities... Maybe the UI should not be quite so easy to modify.
So this render has been about 15+ years in the making, but that's how it goes sometimes when you are entirely self-taught.
By the way, I have enjoyed looking through everyone's work--it is pretty "wow" kind of stuff!

* February 25, 2010, 08:50:00 AM
I like that!

Henry H

February 25, 2010, 08:51:38 AM
Looks good. Nice job on the twist rope placement.

* February 25, 2010, 09:31:56 AM
The rope was the most difficult part.
When I would think of way to accomplish the task, I kept rubbing up against "available in the Pro version only." 
Then there was those nagging limitations of the operator, as well ;).
I ended up using a set three 3D splines constructed over a frame which was spaced to give a good looking twist, then sweep extruding the rope yarns individually along the splines--only to run into the maximum number of sections allowed... My first attempts were so angular they looked like something the Tin Woodman might have admired.
Eventually I did the straight and curved sections separately and assembled them.
I would bet that there are people here would could have streamlined the whole process.
Thanks for the kind responses.

February 25, 2010, 09:33:52 AM
Nicely done.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* February 25, 2010, 11:01:21 AM
Great looking image.I like how the twist is.The rope looks real.I get the feeling that was hung off the end of an old barn to bring bales of hay to the loft.Hope see more of your work.

W.D.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:50:17 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* February 26, 2010, 10:41:17 PM
Nice work Wyoming :)