TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

If anyone has nothing better to do...
Read 434 times
* April 11, 2019, 06:50:43 PM
...You might want to try to find a reasonably simple way to create a 3D letter "E" as in the attached screenshot. Having nothing better to do myself, I used two different approaches, both of them insanely tedious. One of these objects was made by lofting each face as a separate "sheet" object and then 3D-Adding to make a single object. The other was built up of 3D Boxes, sliced and 3D-Added and Filleted.

The attached .tcw is the outline I used (made by tracing a Times New Roman character).

Henry H
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 07:02:29 PM by Henry Hubich »

April 11, 2019, 07:10:10 PM
Great job Henry, both look terrific.

April 12, 2019, 12:49:19 AM
Henry,

stunning job, as usual.   8)
    But, you need to get out more!   ;D

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

April 12, 2019, 04:21:13 PM
I would tend to go for the 'follow along path' route but then, I was always a little off the beaten path.  Or as Grandpa would say "A stubborn so and so"!

In the beginning there was light but someone stopped paying the bills.......

April 12, 2019, 05:12:08 PM
Quick and a bit less than useful but the idea is there.

In the beginning there was light but someone stopped paying the bills.......

* April 12, 2019, 06:50:22 PM
Very nice work on the letters Henry.

April 13, 2019, 05:11:55 AM
I was very lazy.  I activated Simple Extrude with Use Compound Profile, then I set the Draft Angle to -10° and voila.

Not the same, but close enough for 15 seconds' work.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* April 20, 2019, 09:24:49 PM
Such fun!  There are lots of alternative ways to intersect the ridges and valleys of this particular letter, and those terms give away that my initial attempt was using the roof tool.  As well as that, the design of the letter is arbitrary and inconsistent, consider that the leading corner of the lower extension stroke (I can imagine ridges and valleys for 3D versions, but I've no idea what the jargon for the strokes of letters is) is filleted, the middle and upper strokes aren't.  I thought it might be possible to explode the roof into a surface, edit to taste, convert to solid and fillet the valleys parametrically.  That didn't work because the solid conversion returned different planes for the roof's faces than the surface did.  After abandoning that methodology, I extruded the outline of a TNR uppercase E as flexible text, exploded to surface, converted to solid.  Then I used facet editor to defeature, deleting the fillet faces of the vertical flanks.  After that, I chamfered the edges of the upper face, setting them back so that the chamfer faces didn't intersect on the top faces anywhere and omitting the truncated edges of the serifs.  Then I went back to facet editor and deleted the top face, which brought the chamfer faces to meet at ridges.  Then I used quick pull to lift the base face, consuming the side faces.  After that, I was left with a solid roof-like structure that can be converted to a surface, edited to suit, then filleted to finish.   I enjoyed working out this methodology.  I don't think it's any easier than the ways that you did it, Henry, but it does show a bit of what TC's direct editing tools can be turned to.

ps I found out that it's easier to put fillets on the skirt sides and conical fillets on the valleys that intersect with them before quick-pulling the skirt verticals out of existence.   

* April 22, 2019, 02:36:37 PM
I had another crack at this and found that a combination of Henry's and Jeff's techniques produced a satisfying result with not a lot of work and no post-editing.  I traced the fillet segments of the letters with curves and extruded the bays of the letter separately, giving them 60 degrees draft as Jeff hinted.  Then I extruded the outline with -60 draft and subtracted the bay extrusions.   Henry, I think your extra mile is matching the height of the strokes' ridges, and that's incompatible with simplicity, IMO.

* April 22, 2019, 04:22:48 PM
I had another crack at this and found that a combination of Henry's and Jeff's techniques produced a satisfying result with not a lot of work and no post-editing.  I traced the fillet segments of the letters with curves and extruded the bays of the letter separately, giving them 60 degrees draft as Jeff hinted.  Then I extruded the outline with -60 draft and subtracted the bay extrusions.   Henry, I think your extra mile is matching the height of the strokes' ridges, and that's incompatible with simplicity, IMO.

You may well be right about that, Murray.

Still having nothing better to do, I proceeded to model the entire alphabet of upper-case TNR characters. I settled upon two basic techniques: For those characters consisting only of straight-line strokes (not counting the fancy serifs), I assembled 3D Boxes, chamfered them, sliced as appropriate (often "By Facet"), 3D-Added, and--where necessary--Filleted using Unequal Radii with one of them equal to zero. For characters containing curves (C and D for example), I drew 2D Spline outlines and a third 2D Spline to define the crest, then lofted between the outer curve and the crest and then between the inner curve and the crest and added the lofts; then turned the space between the inner and outer curves into a "surface," added to the previous result and converted the whole "Surface" to a "Solid."

As you said earlier, great fun.

Henry H

April 22, 2019, 06:03:42 PM
Spent a bit more time, filleting the inside sharp corners to 0.05" and adding Chamfers with an 80° bite to get this.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1