TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Pop-Up Screens View Size
Read 486 times
* March 21, 2019, 02:56:03 PM
For years I would have an issue with the size of pop-up screens being too large to see all that is within the screen.  I struggled with trying to nudge the screen upward by holding the cursor and moving it.  In particular is the SNAP/GEO buttons at the bottom of the workspace. 
When I upgraded to TC 2018 Pro/Platinum, I played around with the screen resolution and I got more area of the workspace when I maximized the screen resolution to 3840 x 2160.  When I did this, I found that I needed larger text in order to see the menus so I set it at 350.  When I went to open the SNAP at the bottom of the workspace the full snap box couldn’t be seen.  I went ‘round and ‘round with the screen resolution to the point that I wasn’t able to change it anymore.  I finally fixed that issue by changing the text size back to medium and I could again see all the resolution sizes.  And by doing that I discovered that I could see the entire SNAP box.  I adjusted the text size to 261 and that made everything a good fit.  The pop-up boxes and the menu text.
To change screen resolution right click on the desktop and click on Screen Resolution then make changes in the pop-up. 
To change text size right click on the desktop and go to Screen Resolution and choose “Make text and other items larger or smaller.”  Then click on “Set custom text size (DPI).”  I settled on 261 DPI.
I also changed the toolbar icons and other icons to the max (64, 64).  Just a warning:  The same settings may not be the same on another computer monitor.  I have two 32” TVs and there are differences.

Good luck,

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
1 GB Hard Drive 16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

March 26, 2019, 09:09:03 AM
John
That is interesting, I was wondering what brand and model TV's you are using and which one you liked better, I have tried two TV'S from TCL a 32" (M# 32S305) and 40" (M# 40S325) I thought the screens both look decent and the rendered models looked good but they seem to bother my eyes? I don't know if it was the refresh rate, brightness or what it was, anyhow I have been looking for something better.
Paul S.

User Since V8, currently using TurboCAD Pro Platinum 2018.
Always leave the back door open, you never know when you might need to run out it.

* March 26, 2019, 09:32:09 AM
Paul,

At my main desk I have a Samsung UN32J5205AF (my best) and it has EPG to find TV programs and I can program ahead of time and it has PIP, Wireless Network and Smart Hub.  In my other room I have a Samsung UN32J4000AF that will give Info for the current program only.  Both have TV cards in the computer so I can use the computer and watch TV at the same time.  In the kitchen I have a Samsung that is Smart, Wireless, and can program from Info but doesn't have the full EPG.  I had used 20" monitors but decided to upgrade to 32" TVs that I found on Craigslist.  Search also on Facebook Marketplace.  I think Samsungs are the best followed by LG but its a matter of finding the right one for you.

Good luck,

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

March 26, 2019, 07:13:22 PM
... tried two TV'S from TCL a 32" (M# 32S305) and 40" (M# 40S325) I thought the screens both look decent and the rendered models looked good but they seem to bother my eyes?

I expect it is the screen design.  TVs are not designed for computer monitor usage and have different image retention times better suited for moving images.

I use a Samsung 32" monitor (model # S32D850T) that was a lot more expensive than the Samsung 32" TV I have in my bedroom.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* March 26, 2019, 08:56:36 PM
I never gave any thought at all about buying a monitor as far as resolution and refresh rate.  Maybe my eyes would have been better off getting a monitor instead of a TV.  I do have TV cards on my computers so I would not have missed out.  I can keep my best TV for the kitchen and wheel and deal for a couple of quality monitors.
Are curved screens good?  Maybe a 4k?

John B.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:37:19 AM by John B. »

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

March 27, 2019, 01:44:58 PM
... tried two TV'S from TCL a 32" (M# 32S305) and 40" (M# 40S325) I thought the screens both look decent and the rendered models looked good but they seem to bother my eyes?

I expect it is the screen design.  TVs are not designed for computer monitor usage and have different image retention times better suited for moving images.

I use a Samsung 32" monitor (model # S32D850T) that was a lot more expensive than the Samsung 32" TV I have in my bedroom.

Jeff
I went back to using my 28" Samsung monitor (MLU28E590DS/ZA) it is easier on the eyes but also looks dimmer, we kept the 40" monitor and hooked it up to an old computer and mounted it on a cart for the shop techs to use to read schematics which seems to be working good for them.
Paul S.   

Always leave the back door open, you never know when you might need to run out it.

* March 27, 2019, 07:40:07 PM
Paul said "I went back to using my 28" Samsung monitor (MLU28E590DS/ZA) it is easier on the eyes"

I think I can go to a 28" monitor.  Cutting a couple of inches off one end (or 1" off each end) would be OK.  I looked at 4K monitors and some have pixel sizes like .181, .161, and .141, which I get confused with.  Resolution is way up at 3840x2160 but mostly the viewing angle is at 170Hx160V.  I want to buy a monitor with low pixel size.  And they usually don't come with speakers but I saved my old ones.  Having a monitor at 3840x2160 might be better for my eyes than using my TV at the same resolution?  More to digest.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* March 28, 2019, 02:42:36 PM
I just pulled the trigger on a couple of BenQ EL2870U 28" 4K UHD HDR monitors from eBay because my eyes were sore from looking at my HDTV while doing computer work.  TVs weren't made to sit close up and looking.  They are factory refurbished and are comparable to other makes.  I remember my 20" monitor gave me the best picture from my TV card and I think the 4K will do nicely with YouTube videos.  I bought the two 32" HDTV's at cut-throat prices and I think I can make a profit.

EDIT***   I got my monitors the next day and I like them.  They look better on the desks than the big 32"ers.
They do a nice job with YouTube 4K videos.  :-)

John B.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 11:01:33 AM by John B. »

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

April 13, 2019, 10:12:57 PM
I just pulled the trigger on a couple of BenQ EL2870U 28" 4K UHD HDR monitors from eBay because my eyes were sore from looking at my HDTV while doing computer work.  TVs weren't made to sit close up and looking.  They are factory refurbished and are comparable to other makes.  I remember my 20" monitor gave me the best picture from my TV card and I think the 4K will do nicely with YouTube videos.  I bought the two 32" HDTV's at cut-throat prices and I think I can make a profit.

EDIT***   I got my monitors the next day and I like them.  They look better on the desks than the big 32"ers.
They do a nice job with YouTube 4K videos.  :-)

John B.

John
So how do you like the new monitors, the refurbished ones the Benq site seem like a good deal, it doesn't look like this model rotates 90 degrees that's something I thought would be handy but can live without.
Paul S.

* April 13, 2019, 10:30:29 PM
Paul,

I like the 4K monitors.  The pixels are hard to see even with a magnifying glass.  The next day the price (eBay) on them jumped from $207 to $287 so I got lucky.  I don't need 90 degrees swing because I'm sitting right in front of it.  The viewing angle of 160 is OK with me too.  The speakers are kinda weak so I hooked up my other computer speakers.  The 28" is big enough and the 32" were maybe too big.  It looks nice with it's stand.  If you shop around you can get a good deal but I opted for the refurbished similar pair.

Good luck,

John B.

P.S.  Lots of refurbished 28" 4K Samsung on eBay as well.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:54:57 AM by John B. »

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series