TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Can not use object trim
Read 460 times
* March 18, 2019, 10:53:23 AM
Hello again.

I am trying to create an extrusion to modify an existing 3D part using simple 2D objects. The drawing started having issues such as missing parts that I could not figure out a while back and now simple tools are not working. On layer 21 I have created a polyline and a number of circles to create the extrusion from. In my modify menu I select object trim, click on the polyline and one or more center circles which works as expected. Then I try to trim the  the circles to make the desired shape and they don't trim. If anybody could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Ed

* March 18, 2019, 12:41:55 PM
Use the other Trim tool, not Trim Object and you can trim the circle's in the corners to each other, or explode all the circles 1 time to Polyline and the Trim Object work, for both options only if they meet on two sides/ edges or overlapping as no one was overlapping in your drawing when open it.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* March 18, 2019, 02:04:15 PM
Are you looking to trim the objects like this?

I used the "Object Trim" tool to trim the polyline at the corners and in the middle (selecting circles), then used the "Trim" tool to do the circles. I dragged a selection window over all the objects (upper-right to lower-left) and "Finish Selection", then clicked on the circles.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 02:16:38 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* March 18, 2019, 02:13:22 PM
or explode all the circles 1 time to Polyline and the Trim Object work.

Just adding a note for any new users who may read this.    Exploding Circle, Arc, spline, or Bezier creates a polyline, which consists of lots of small line segments to represent the curvature. This can cause problems further down the line.  i.e. Radius and Diameter dimension won't work, and Extrude / Loft will have lots of flat edges and can cause 3d filleting (blending) not to work.  That said there are circumstances where exploding circles will not harm the drawing, and may be beneficial.

######################

Ed.    Whilst Torfinn has provided the solution.  I'd thought I'd just mention what I do.  Rather than trim lines, circles and arcs for an extrusion / loft.  I use the Polyline tool.  On an object like yours, I'd turn on Snaps, and just intersection and magnetic point.  I would switch the polyline to use arcs segments (right click or inspection bar).  and just snap at each intersect point. 

If everything id drawn perfectly like your is, there is no need to change to line segments as TC will do that automatically for the straight sections.  And near the end, just before reaching the start point again, I right click and choose close.  Thus, ensuring a fully closed profile for extrusion.    Snapping a polyline is often much quicker for me, than trimming things.   but,  this fails if the original arcs /  lines are not drawn accurately to start with. 

Just my thoughts.           

March 18, 2019, 06:50:07 PM
I used the "Object Trim" tool to trim the polyline at the corners and in the middle (selecting circles), then used the "Trim" tool to do the circles. I dragged a selection window over all the objects (upper-right to lower-left) and "Finish Selection", then clicked on the circles.

Were you able to get the results of eeetee Trim.png in one Trim operation?  Because I had to Trim the center circle of each triplet in a subsequent operation (exiting the current Trim function and re-invoking it).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* March 18, 2019, 09:11:58 PM

Were you able to get the results of eeetee Trim.png in one Trim operation?  Because I had to Trim the center circle of each triplet in a subsequent operation (exiting the current Trim function and re-invoking it).

Jeff

Here's a video of how I did it using both tools. It took 3 passes to complete.

eeetee Trim exercise

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* March 19, 2019, 10:18:29 AM
Easier and faster to redraw it as a Polyline, tracing what's there and using the Q SEKE.

Henry H

* March 19, 2019, 03:49:39 PM
WOW! Thank you very much! As usual, a variety of solutions and a fountain of information!