TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

TC 2018 gliches & queries after upgrade
Read 2202 times
* March 14, 2019, 12:55:43 PM
Hi All,

Appreciate some help from the gurus!

Just having a few teething problems with TC2018, most pressing of which is to get TC 2018 to load in the user space rather than a background process (which you cannot use) after reading a great post on here* C:\Program Files\IMSIDesign\TCW2018\Program64\dbautosrvwrapper.exe is the culprit so I renamed it to top it working as suggested, which works to load TC in the 'app' space, but unfortunately on each load of TC2018, Windows checks the program set, finds my deliberate sabotage, and creates a new instance of dbautosrvwrapper.exe stopping it from working again.... Has anyone got a permanent solution to this problem rather than the work around? Incidentally, Windows seems to check the file set when I attempt to load TC from simply double clicking on one of my *.tcw files..   Might of fixed this by simply creating an empty text document called dbautosrvwrapper.exe copying it to the Program64 location.....

Next obvious one for me is that I cannot find 'copy in place' - I absolutely love this tool, as I have versions of parts I am making to compare on the same model, situated within precisely the same position on the model. Google couldn't help me with this either, and unfortunately it is not listed in Customize > Commands all commands list I think :(

Next 'nice to have feature' was on selecting a 3d object, I would get the x,y and z axis in big long green, red and  yellow(?) arrows, and I could easily move the object solely along one axis. I can still do this but I not longer get this easy to select graphic, so to achieve this is really fiddly as the controls don't change from the standard selection controls.

And finally, I like to group useful tools on the right click menu, but its seem smaller than TC2016 and my older eyes preferred the larger menu - can I fix this (menu not the eyes lol)?

Many thanks as always,

Adrian

*- https://forums.turbocad.com/index.php?topic=23041.0
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:35:29 PM by adrianh78 »

* March 14, 2019, 01:16:33 PM
i dont know what more to do with the wrapper, but Copy in Place is a SDK tool so you will find it there in SDK/ Selection and i also have it in Edit menu at the top of screen.
The selector you was used to is a RedSDK selector, in 2018 they take that away as default and go back to LigthWork  as default, if you want it now you will need to buy it as a Plugin.

Torfinn

Edit: I also have the Copy in Place in my Copy toolbar.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:38:28 PM by Torfinn »

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* March 14, 2019, 01:41:21 PM
i dont know what more to do with the wrapper, but Copy in Place is a SDK tool so you will find it there in SDK/ Selection and i also have it in Edit menu at the top of screen.
The selector you was used to is a RedSDK selector, in 2018 they take that away as default and go back to LigthWork  as default, if you want it now you will need to buy it as a Plugin.

Torfinn

Edit: I also have the Copy in Place in my Copy toolbar.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. Unfortunately I don't have SDK Selection on my TC2018 (I think I did on TC2016).

For such a basic (but brilliant!) tool I will be incredibly disappointed if its gone, and will have to revert back to my old version  >:( :'(

* March 14, 2019, 01:49:10 PM
What edition do you have, and it can be just the cfg (UI) that are different IMSI like to move stuff around :)
That said, you dont need to find it, just activate the copy tool, select an Object and then TAB and Enter for as many copies you want ;)

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* March 14, 2019, 01:58:53 PM
What edition do you have, and it can be just the cfg (UI) that are different IMSI like to move stuff around :)
That said, you dont need to find it, just activate the copy tool, select an Object and then TAB and Enter for as many copies you want ;)

Torfinn

...and then DEactivate the copy tool when finished!

Henry H

* March 14, 2019, 02:06:13 PM
Yes, that is an good ide'a, but we learn that very quick after forget it a time or two :)

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* March 14, 2019, 05:51:31 PM
Using the "make copy" check copies the part tree, while CopyInPlace doesn't, so if you copy sweep solids or lofts, for example, with their compound profiles, the copies are also associated to each other, so editing the profiles updates the solids and you can access and edit features like shelling and blends in the copies' own part trees.  CopyInPlace severs those associations and deprecates parts to dumb solids. 

* March 14, 2019, 10:15:59 PM
Another "Copy" option that I use a lot is to select and pick up the object(s), then hold down the "Ctrl" key and place the selection down. The original remains in place and you don't have to turn anything off.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

March 15, 2019, 03:32:28 AM
Another "Copy" option that I use a lot is to select and pick up the object(s), then hold down the "Ctrl" key and place the selection down. The original remains in place and you don't have to turn anything off.

Doesn't work for me.  Is there, perhaps, a step or setting you left out?

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* March 15, 2019, 04:37:47 AM
It works like a charm for copy, but not for Copy in Place, maybe use running snap E, never tested that

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* March 15, 2019, 11:59:05 AM

Doesn't work for me.  Is there, perhaps, a step or setting you left out?

Jeff

Maybe this short video will help. Copy with Ctrl key

Torfinn, I rarely copy anything 'in place'; I'm always moving copies elsewhere.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* March 15, 2019, 12:56:14 PM
Same thing here :), but TS was missing his Copy in Place tool in v 2018.

The only times i can remember that i use it is if i should subtract something from a multilevel group of objects, aka make 1 opening true 5-6 levels of solids in a wannabe wall, something like that.
Or if i need to convert a baseline to walls before i can convert the profile to a slab.
In other words. very seldom, but i do use it from time to time and i use "Murray's" way of doing it when needed.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

March 15, 2019, 02:43:35 PM
Just remember that just because some don't use the Copy in Place tool doesn't mean others don't use it. I, like Adrian the original poster, love this tool and use it often. I hope that it will be maintained as a tool for all versions to come.

When a tool seems to be missing I believe the user wants to know how to get it back or get it fixed quickly. I know that the users who post options or workarounds are trying to be helpful, but sometimes it comes across that they feel that the tool in question is of no real value. I can think of many tools I don't think have any value, but I don't typically say too much about them, since I know other people use them. When I complain about tools, it is because I feel they are half baked - not fully developed. Here I am thinking of the part tree and constraints. I know there are some users who sing their praises, but to me they are primitive at best. Do I wish they were gone? No, I wish they would get developed to a point where they would be awesome.

* March 15, 2019, 03:52:53 PM
Just remember that just because some don't use the Copy in Place tool doesn't mean others don't use it. I, like Adrian the original poster, love this tool and use it often. I hope that it will be maintained as a tool for all versions to come.

When a tool seems to be missing I believe the user wants to know how to get it back or get it fixed quickly. I know that the users who post options or workarounds are trying to be helpful, but sometimes it comes across that they feel that the tool in question is of no real value. I can think of many tools I don't think have any value, but I don't typically say too much about them, since I know other people use them. When I complain about tools, it is because I feel they are half baked - not fully developed. Here I am thinking of the part tree and constraints. I know there are some users who sing their praises, but to me they are primitive at best. Do I wish they were gone? No, I wish they would get developed to a point where they would be awesome.

Well said, Don. Amen to all of that.

Henry H

* March 16, 2019, 04:59:07 AM
What does awesome look like, Don?  What would make them not primitive?   What development do they need?
You may feel that posting an alternative or workaround sounds like a judgement of the tool, in this case copy in place, but I wrote what I wrote above to offer the *reason* that I think it's inferior, and in this case it's because it disregards the part tree - which is a function that you say is half-baked.   That has a bearing on the validity of your pronouncement, Don.  I also offer the reason because it's something that the OP may not have known or considered, and might find of use if he hadn't.  It's an observed phenomenon that presuming tone or intent on the net can mislead.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 05:26:36 AM by murray dickinson »

* March 16, 2019, 10:12:03 AM
> Transform move >keep original
> copies and removes the part tree

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* March 16, 2019, 10:41:48 AM

Torfinn

Thanks for taking time to reply, but I couldn't get that one to work. When you say copy, do you mean 'Modify' 'Copy' 'Vector' ?

* March 16, 2019, 10:42:49 AM

Really nice tip, thank you  :)

* March 16, 2019, 10:48:38 AM

Thanks for your input I appreciate it, and work arounds are good if frustrating (I don't think functionality should be removed unless it is superseded personally). The irony for me is that I only use a base set of tools, and I upgraded to 2018 to (hopefully) get around some annoying possible application bugs.

* March 16, 2019, 10:52:15 AM
Thank you everyone for taking time to reply - really appreciate it as a novice user.

Is there any way to get these controls back? I used to love these easy to use control handles as well to slide an object on one axis.

And thanks for being supportive as well :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 10:54:12 AM by adrianh78 »

* March 16, 2019, 10:57:19 AM
I think of the Copytool down on Inspectorbar, activate that before or after you select the Object(s) you want to copy and then hit the Tab button, then Enter button and you have made a Copy in Place, repeat Tab and Enter for how many copies you want to have, and like Henry stated, remember to uncheck Copytool when finish.

I like this way better and it also save space in my toolbar area, and i dont need to remember where the tool are in menu's.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* March 16, 2019, 11:09:43 AM
And if you want the symbol back, maybe open Custtomize in Toolbars check the copytool so that it is on your screen, then og to Commands page, scroll down to sdk section, find the tool there and just drag a copy of it over to your copy toolbar, and then og to the other side of the menu to Optons and save you cfg  in Save in, give it a new name if you dont have done it already, then you can always find it in the Load From if you for some reason need to Re-load your cfg.
See attached

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* March 16, 2019, 11:24:01 AM
What does awesome look like, Don?  What would make them not primitive?   What development do they need?
You may feel that posting an alternative or workaround sounds like a judgement of the tool, in this case copy in place, but I wrote what I wrote above to offer the *reason* that I think it's inferior, and in this case it's because it disregards the part tree - which is a function that you say is half-baked.   That has a bearing on the validity of your pronouncement, Don.  I also offer the reason because it's something that the OP may not have known or considered, and might find of use if he hadn't.  It's an observed phenomenon that presuming tone or intent on the net can mislead.

All info is good info as far as I am concerned - thank for your input, equally valid.

March 16, 2019, 11:25:34 AM
Thank you everyone for taking time to reply - really appreciate it as a novice user.

Is there any way to get these controls back? I used to love these easy to use control handles as well to slide an object on one axis.

Hi,

see reply #1.   ;)

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

* March 16, 2019, 11:46:20 AM

Try "F8". It switches between the Classic and Conceptual selection handles. There's also a "Use Conceptual" check box in the "Selector Properties" dialog, "Selector 3D" page to turn this on or off.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* March 16, 2019, 01:03:44 PM
I think of the Copytool down on Inspectorbar, activate that before or after you select the Object(s) you want to copy and then hit the Tab button, then Enter button and you have made a Copy in Place, repeat Tab and Enter for how many copies you want to have, and like Henry stated, remember to uncheck Copytool when finish.

I like this way better and it also save space in my toolbar area, and i dont need to remember where the tool are in menu's.

Torfinn

Got it! Brilliant, thank you, that's my preferred option as a work around :)

* March 16, 2019, 01:11:23 PM
And if you want the symbol back, maybe open Custtomize in Toolbars check the copytool so that it is on your screen, then og to Commands page, scroll down to sdk section, find the tool there and just drag a copy of it over to your copy toolbar, and then og to the other side of the menu to Optons and save you cfg  in Save in, give it a new name if you dont have done it already, then you can always find it in the Load From if you for some reason need to Re-load your cfg.
See attached

Torfinn

Thanks for the tips, I have saved my config :)!

I think in TC2018 'Copy in Place' must be depreciated (see attached) as I cannot find the command. But I think I can live with the tab and enter trick with the copy tool.

* March 16, 2019, 01:15:44 PM

Hi,

see reply #1.   ;)

Regards Tim

Oh wow, no RedSDK no handy control widgets :( Very disappointing.

Thanks for the  prompt

* March 16, 2019, 01:20:48 PM

Try "F8". It switches between the Classic and Conceptual selection handles. There's also a "Use Conceptual" check box in the "Selector Properties" dialog, "Selector 3D" page to turn this on or off.

Thanks for this, but unfortunately F8 had no effect and the 'use conceptual' check box is ghost out, so it could be what has been suggested i.e. no RedSDK in 2018 as standard
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:24:23 PM by adrianh78 »

* March 16, 2019, 01:21:57 PM
Thank you so much for all the help - I feel disappointed with TC2018 thus far, but massively thankful of all the help and support.

Thank you
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:23:50 PM by adrianh78 »

* March 17, 2019, 04:56:20 AM
You can slide the selection along the X, Y  or Z  axes  with the  standard,  non -Red SDK  selector by picking up the selection by the bars between  the yellow reference point and the green rotation handles.  Hover the cursor over the bar  and you'll see it become a four-point  rose, LH  single click picks up the selection with its  movement constrained to that axis.   John's ctrl-click to copy works while moving this way, too.   The  only function that's missing from the standard selector bar compared to the RedSDk  conceptual selector is scaling, which is available from the bounding box's edges instead.  If you pick up the bounding box's edges in ortho view, scaling only happens in one dimension and direction, unless you've clicked "keep aspect ratio" in the context menu.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:05:41 PM by murray dickinson »

* March 17, 2019, 11:07:30 AM

Thanks for this, but unfortunately F8 had no effect and the 'use conceptual' check box is ghost out, so it could be what has been suggested i.e. no RedSDK in 2018 as standard

I misunderstood what you were looking for. I thought you wanted the Classic selection handles. For Conceptual handles in 2018, you'll need to purchase the RedSDK plugin.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

March 18, 2019, 02:50:31 AM
You can slide the selection along the X, Y  or Z  axes  with the  standard,  non -Red SDK  selector by picking up the selection by the bars between  the yellow reference point and the green rotation handles.  Hover the cursor over the bar  and you'll see it become a four-point  rose, LH  single click picks up the selection with its  movement constrained to that axis.   John's ctrl-click to copy works while moving this way, too.   The  only function that's missing from the standard selector bar compared to the RedSDk  conceptual selector is scaling, which is available from the bounding box's edges instead.  If you pick up the bounding box's edges in ortho view, scaling only happens in one dimension and direction, unless you've clicked "keep aspect ratio" in the context menu.

You can also hover the cursor over the bar between the four-point rose and the green rotation handles, picking up a double-headed arrow, to scale along that axis. 
Might be handy if the bounding box is not in view.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

* March 24, 2019, 10:04:30 AM
Thanks for the further responses and apologies for not getting back to you all; I thought it was done.

Whilst I am grumpy with the product right now, I am very grateful for the time and energy everyone on this forum has put in to help me.

Thank you again.