TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

TurboCad version 17 release date
Read 25648 times
February 23, 2010, 05:35:22 AM
 :o Does anyone know when version 17 will be released. I am looking forward to the improvements using the new red engine.

Paul

TC19.2 Pro
Windows 7
8Gb
Fujitsu celsius i7-2600@3.4GHz
Firepro V3800

* February 23, 2010, 06:00:40 AM
To unpredictable to say, before summer is good chance,wouldn't expect ETA  

EDIT I'll wait for Version 17.2 to be release.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:56:17 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

March 07, 2010, 11:41:28 AM
Is it already known, which other improvements will be made.

Rudl

March 07, 2010, 11:59:03 AM
Is it already known, which other improvements will be made.

Rudl

You guys just have to be patient. The company won't say in advance and the beta testers have signed a non-disclosure agreement, so are sworn to secrecy. It is however, always very exciting to think about the arrival of a new version so it is not surprising to see the questions starting to appear.

* March 07, 2010, 01:42:04 PM
Please Don

No rush!! Take all the time necessary. I cannot speak for all but from what I read over time is a good product is desire.If it was made is good as 11.2 I'm sure there would be some as pleased end users.If isn't right don't send out.fix it.             

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

March 08, 2010, 05:58:21 AM
Hi Don,

sorry for my unpatient question. But what for children is Christmas, for me it is the new TC release.

Rudl

March 08, 2010, 06:04:01 AM
Hi Don,

sorry for my unpatient question. But what for children is Christmas, for me it is the new TC release.

Rudl

I agree Rudl. I have that feeling too, although my 'Christmas' is a bit earlier as a tester.

* March 09, 2010, 12:12:27 AM
I am not having ago at the beta testers ( the job must be very difficult) but it would be nice to know they are trying all the tools in TC before release.
The shrink/extend multiline clearly is not working in 16 and this must be a favorite tool for anyone doing 2d architectural work.

The dwg conversion does not work properly either.

11.2pro is the bench mark release and anything less than this is a backward step.

Regards

Steve T

March 09, 2010, 05:40:36 AM
I am not having ago at the beta testers ( the job must be very difficult) but it would be nice to know they are trying all the tools in TC before release.
The shrink/extend multiline clearly is not working in 16 and this must be a favorite tool for anyone doing 2d architectural work.

The dwg conversion does not work properly either.

11.2pro is the bench mark release and anything less than this is a backward step.

Regards

Steve T

The TurboCAD beta tester works hard to ensure everything is ready for prime time, but there is only so much he can do.

* March 09, 2010, 09:09:09 AM
The TurboCAD beta tester works hard to ensure everything is ready for prime time, but there is only so much he can do.

...And he sincerely hopes he hasn't missed anything serious.

Henry H

* March 09, 2010, 10:26:23 AM
The new version  must be getting close, the list of commands for v17 has had a placeholder on Turbocad Community since February 24. 

March 09, 2010, 06:16:50 PM

...And he sincerely hopes he hasn't missed anything serious.

Henry H

Herb is especially good at finding bugs.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

March 09, 2010, 09:40:17 PM
Since I'm not a Beta-tester like Don and Henry, I guess I can say what I know about release dates. I just received a pre-release offer in the mail today for TurboCAD 17 upgrade with a link to a webpage on the TurboCAD website which gives a March 11 release date for TurboCAD Pro and Platinum and an approximately end of the month release date for Deluxe.

Now if I could just get IMSI/Design to understand that I am a TurboCAD 16 Platinum user, not a version 14 Pro user, I might be interested in upgrading.   Their statement that, "Since you haven't upgraded since version 14, you're missing out on hundreds of powerful new features and enhancements that will be yours when you upgrade" is a bit galling. But then, maybe I already enjoy most of the features with version 16 Platinum and won't need version 17. Can't really tell from the brochure.

The coupon and price they offer for the 14 Pro to 17 Platinum is way too steep for me to consider. The price they show in the mailing from Pro 16 to Pro Platinum 17, which is what I will be doing if 17 looks viable, is much more along the lines of past upgrades. Higher than the past, but not that much higher.

There are some interesting features alluded to that I will be interested in learning more about. The mailed brochure, however, is more of a puff piece than a real informative product description. It is heavy on buzz words and light on descriptions.

Bill Cain, S.E., C.E.
Berkeley, CA
TC v20 Platinum
Win 7 (desktop) Win 8 (laptop)
User since v4

March 10, 2010, 09:57:39 AM
We do our best to keep our user database up to date.  Depending on how you purchase TurboCAD this does not always happen.  You are still eligible for upgrade pricing for the version you have.  Give our sales department a call or send them an e-mail.  800-833-8082 or sales@imsidesign.com

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

March 10, 2010, 10:44:07 AM
I submitted a bug report on this topic http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,2617.0.html and got a reply from Ksenia that it will be fixed in the V17 release, so they are still working on it.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* March 12, 2010, 10:36:10 AM
I've just had an email from the UK distibutor offering a special pre order upgrade price, its due in the UK 17th April,

PDF file attached with overview of new features
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:22:45 AM by paulside »

* March 12, 2010, 11:45:40 AM
Will be interested in these for sure.  Will a 30-day trial be released at the same time to preview if these new features are worth it?

Cameron Blair

March 12, 2010, 12:46:06 PM
Intriguing:
Meet 2 Lines tool
Bezier and spline curves are now supported.

Rail Sweep
Optionally use a compound path including vertical profile orientation
relative to path.

Revolve Tool
Optionally use a compound profile that contains holes.

Very interesting:
Surface Measurement
New option to perform measurements of surface areas and volumes
of 3D Surface Objects.

This will be useful:
Geometric Tolerance
New tool for mechanical designers that allows them to tell a
machine shop/manufacturer how to machine a part.

I like this:
Pattern Tools
5 pattern copy tools which allow the user to very simply apply
repeating geometries on ACIS objects. Patterns are parametric and
can interact with entities through Boolean operations.

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* March 12, 2010, 02:11:15 PM
No mention of improved sheet metal? <sigh!>

JoeM

* March 12, 2010, 04:48:17 PM
Bend — Create accurate bends measuring from a specific distance from the edge. Set the axis, angle, and radius and let TurboCAD do the rest.

Tube Bend Tool — Make cylinders incredibly flexible. Simply choose where you want to bend on the tube.

Unbend — Great for sheet metal and fabrication shops, creates an unfolded object, leaving the original object intact.

Unfold Face — Unfolds faces of various ACIS objects including cone, cylindrical, planar, and NURBs surfaces; even those with a filleted rectangle as the base. This is also knows as obtaining the involute of a surface. It’s great for working with materials like sheet metal or fabrics.

Facet Offset Tool — Move a facet in or out of its current position while updating all connecting surfaces.

Flange Tool — Rapidly creates flat and bent flanges using the Smart Dimensioning tool for precision.

Tube Flange Tool — Simply extend a tube and bend it in a few clicks.

TC 2017 Plat. x32 / x64 (LightWorks)
Win 10 Pro 64.
i7-3770 16 GB. Ram.
Nivda GeForce GTX 970 4 GB.

* March 12, 2010, 06:19:27 PM
Bend — Create accurate bends measuring from a specific distance from the edge. Set the axis, angle, and radius and let TurboCAD do the rest.

Tube Bend Tool — Make cylinders incredibly flexible. Simply choose where you want to bend on the tube.

Unbend — Great for sheet metal and fabrication shops, creates an unfolded object, leaving the original object intact.

Unfold Face — Unfolds faces of various ACIS objects including cone, cylindrical, planar, and NURBs surfaces; even those with a filleted rectangle as the base. This is also knows as obtaining the involute of a surface. It’s great for working with materials like sheet metal or fabrics.

Facet Offset Tool — Move a facet in or out of its current position while updating all connecting surfaces.

Flange Tool — Rapidly creates flat and bent flanges using the Smart Dimensioning tool for precision.

Tube Flange Tool — Simply extend a tube and bend it in a few clicks.

I was thinking of something useful - like the bend lines I've been waiting for these three years.  I'm about out of patience.   I know this has been requested by many users, and IMSI has even hinted that it was being worked on.  

These people don't seem to have the least idea whats actually useful for making money.

I feel as if I've been strung along with this useless unbend tool since V14 (Edit- V14 was the bend tool, V15 was unbend).  I'm still doing hand calculations to locate the bend lines and developed lengths.  It's not any faster than when I made up a chart that recorded the difference in length between the bends I needed and a sharp corner and unfolded parts using the facet editor, which I've been able to do since V8 or V9.

Its been a long week, and (foolishly) I was really looking forward to the new release to cheer me up.  Unless IMSI is leaving this new capability unadvertised, I'm going to be damn disappointed, to use no stronger language.

Depressed,

JoeM
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:52:53 AM by JoeM »

* March 12, 2010, 09:13:58 PM
Joe
Seems some things have'nt change over time.Appears kind of disappointing .I don't agree with this terminology."Geometric Tolerance New tool for mechanical designers that allows them to tell a machine shop/manufacturer how to machine a part."Geometric Tolerance is symbolic language used on drawings.They're tolerance allowances that is on a machine parts. Then only offer it Platinum seems like skimping the product.After reading the pdf file it is no big woop de doo.What new tools have been added is what I would be interested finding out?How much new render functionally is been added?Is there a performance improvement?I bet it soaks up memory like a sponge as usual.I guess I have take the trial version for spin to get to root of things .

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 09:19:49 PM by wd »

* March 13, 2010, 03:28:57 AM
I know, about two or three year's ago, I sent a package with pictures of aircraft ribs, requesting sheet metal bends along a curve, which seems possible now, but I also sent info. and charts on sheet metal bend allowances and K factors, hoping this would be incorporated. Retired from the U.S Navy, now doing aircraft restoration as a hobby.

TC 2017 Plat. x32 / x64 (LightWorks)
Win 10 Pro 64.
i7-3770 16 GB. Ram.
Nivda GeForce GTX 970 4 GB.

* March 13, 2010, 04:49:40 AM
Sorry about my earlier outburst.  I do feel a little childish about getting emotional over a CAD program.  Still,  when I think about about how they've restructured the whole program for things that are so full of bugs that they can't be used for serious work (read the part tree and constraints), I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have incorporated the basic functionality for automating the process of sheet metal development.  It might not handle every possible situation, i.e., embossing, watertight bends, bends greater than 180 degrees, etc (where the unbend tool currently fails anyway), but at least mark the bendlines on the part!  All other 3D mechanical design software (Solidworks, SolidEdge, Inventor, Kubotek, CoCreate, and Alibre) has this capability, and has had it since the early days of its development.  I guess IMSI is still looking at AutoCAD as the benchmark.

Add to this the fact that shortly after the release of V16, an IMSI representative (I believe it was Dave Taylor) strongly hinted that this would be a priorty for the next release.  IMSI almost never says anything about what they might be working on, so a hint in this direction was very unusual.  It would have been better if "almost never" had been "never", because my hopes would not have been raised.

I really needed this capability for my day to day work.  I guess I had better not put away my calculator.

JoeM
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:34:46 AM by JoeM »

March 13, 2010, 05:40:17 PM
I just got the v17 Upgrade notice in the mail.  Try this out if yours hasn't arrived yet:
http://Upgrade17.turbocad.com

Also, there is a detailed PDF file listing the new features from v15 upwards:
http://www.turbocad.com/Portals/1/Charts/What's_New_since_v15.pdf
Not enough detail there for me.  I would like to see movies of the new features.

I can't find anything as exciting as the Quick Pull tool, new in v16, but maybe that's just me.

Thom

March 15, 2010, 12:39:40 PM

I like this:
Pattern Tools
5 pattern copy tools which allow the user to very simply apply
repeating geometries on ACIS objects. Patterns are parametric and
can interact with entities through Boolean operations.

I'll like it too - if it's what I think it is. If it isn't, I see nothing to upgrade for. Any of the Beta testers care to elaborate? Will these tools work similarly to the "PCD tool" request last October? http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,1176.0.html

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* March 15, 2010, 01:42:38 PM
Any of the Beta testers care to elaborate? Will these tools work similarly to the "PCD tool" request last October?

We'll be happy to elaborate after v17 is released. Until then, we can't say anything ;-)

Henry H

March 15, 2010, 07:28:47 PM
grrrrrrr >:(

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* March 16, 2010, 05:50:13 AM
I called IMSI yesterday to upgrade to v16 and they said they no longer sell 16 since 17 is out now. Mike.

March 16, 2010, 12:20:43 PM
I called IMSI yesterday to upgrade to v16 and they said they no longer sell 16 since 17 is out now. Mike.

If thats what you want you can get the upgrade here. http://www.cadandgraphics.com/

Alan H.

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

* March 16, 2010, 12:51:58 PM
Since I work heavily with beziers and splines the of support in joining and trimming will make the upgrade perfect.

Can't wait!

Ed

Rel 20 Pro Platinum

* March 16, 2010, 04:15:47 PM
Any of the Beta testers care to elaborate? Will these tools work similarly to the "PCD tool" request last October?

We'll be happy to elaborate after v17 is released. Until then, we can't say anything ;-)

Henry H
Its official via TC website Henry care to elaborate? :)

March 17, 2010, 07:03:21 AM
Its official via TC website Henry care to elaborate? :)

Here is a poster I created about the new and improved features. Since you have already seen the info on the TurboCAD website, this won't be anything new, but I sure enjoyed creating the poster and thought that I would share it.

EDIT: Replaced image, found typo.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:25:49 PM by Don Cheke »

* March 17, 2010, 08:36:16 AM
Here is a poster I created about the new and improved features. Since you have already seen the info on the TurboCAD website, this won't be anything new, but I sure enjoyed creating the poster and thought that I would share it.
Indeed I like to stay current. Nice Don I wouldn't mind doing it myself I like the film strip theme but would like to use my own jpegs.recall you did one also with film strip reel which was little tough to do.was this one CS4 enhance.The drafting table you made is nice touch for advertising logo for cad.Are any those slated for tutorials?

W.D.

March 17, 2010, 08:47:31 AM
Indeed I like to stay current. Nice Don I wouldn't mind doing it myself I like the film strip theme but would like to use my own jpegs.recall you did one also with film strip reel which was little tough to do.was this one CS4 enhance.The drafting table you made is nice touch for advertising logo for cad.Are any those slated for tutorials?

W.D.

Hi W.D.

There is a Photoshop CS4 tutorial by Scott Kelby (in the 3rd Down & Dirty Tricks book) to create a 3D filmstrip with the new Photoshop Extended 3D tools. It was pretty neat but I found that the polygon rendering was quite intense since I was creating a 8.5 x 14 (600dpi) final print. Still, it is pretty neat to be able to do this in Photoshop, among other 3D things.

However, I decided to recreate the tutorial output (the filmstrip with the reflection) in TurboCAD and I found that it was much easier to create the filmstrip in TurboCAD using wrapped images and a reflective ground plane. I printed this to 8.5 x 14 (600dpi) PDF from TurboCAD. I then opened the PDF in Photoshop, did a bit of editing and added the text elements.

I am not sure there will be a tutorial to produce a thing as the film strip in TurboCAD (unless I got some email requests to do so) but I can tell you that there will be another V17 tutorial available as soon as the V17 trial version is available. It is ready to go. Here is the cover.

* March 17, 2010, 02:27:37 PM
re: care to elaborate? :)

Well, they finally added the ability to have muntin bars in windows and doors.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* March 17, 2010, 07:40:10 PM
.... basic functionality for automating the process of sheet metal development.  It might not handle every possible situation, i.e., embossing, watertight bends, bends greater than 180 degrees, etc (where the unbend tool currently fails anyway), but at least mark the bendlines on the part!  All other 3D mechanical design software (Solidworks, SolidEdge, Inventor, Kubotek, CoCreate, and Alibre) has this capability, and has had it since the early days of its development.  I guess IMSI is still looking at AutoCAD as the benchmark.

Add to this the fact that shortly after the release of V16, an IMSI representative (I believe it was Dave Taylor) strongly hinted that this would be a priorty for the next release.  IMSI almost never says anything about what they might be working on, so a hint in this direction was very unusual.  It would have been better if "almost never" had been "never", because my hopes would not have been raised.

I really needed this capability for my day to day work.  I guess I had better not put away my calculator.

JoeM

Joe, shelling the object to the neutral line, then unfolding those faces and overlaying the unfolds over the unbends gives you bend lines with a little use of the assembly tools.

March 18, 2010, 03:04:55 AM
re: care to elaborate? :)

Well, they finally added the ability to have muntin bars in windows and doors.

Thanks John, but is that all the New - 5 pattern copy tools refers to? My original "care to elaborate?" was basically asking if radial or linear copies were now parametric.

Julian

* March 18, 2010, 04:41:56 AM
Thanks John, but is that all the New - 5 pattern copy tools refers to? My original "care to elaborate?" was basically asking if radial or linear copies were now parametric.

Sorry, I missed that part of the equation. I was mentioning an Architecture feature.

The basic Radial and Linear Copy tools haven't changed any. The Pattern tools will be able to make linear and/or radial copies that you can go back and edit their parameters within the Part Tree. Henry has pushed these tools more than I have.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* March 18, 2010, 06:07:21 AM

Joe, shelling the object to the neutral line, then unfolding those faces and overlaying the unfolds over the unbends gives you bend lines with a little use of the assembly tools.

Murray,

Thank you for your response.  I'm afraid I don't really follow you, though.  Could you clarify?  I would appreciate it.

JoeM

* March 19, 2010, 01:30:02 AM
Joe, in the picture I posted, there's a sheet with an arbitrary bend, unbent to lay flat.  In the bent state, two flat areas blend tangentially.  Using the unfold tool to place graphics on the flat areas, the hatched graphics are assembled to their faces on the unbent sheet, using the corners to locate them.  The flat faces don't change, all of the bend is in the area between them, so the edges of the hatched graphic are the boundary edges of the bend area, and it's a simple layout to bisect the bend area to give you the centreline of the bend.

* March 24, 2010, 03:50:14 AM
I'm in the UK &, as "paulside", was advised by the UK Distributor that it would be available on April 17th.

However, have just received a confirmation email & I'm downloading V17 as I type!!