TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Newbie questions
Read 4084 times
* June 01, 2009, 08:33:19 AM
Hi, New here and just started using Turbocad (v11). Is there an area for newbie questions as I feel my needs are too basic for this forum.
TIA

Michael

June 01, 2009, 08:40:06 AM
All questions are welcome - ask away!

June 01, 2009, 08:42:17 AM
Hi, New here and just started using Turbocad (v11). Is there an area for newbie questions as I feel my needs are too basic for this forum.

You're in the right area Michael. You'll find plenty of help no matter what your questions are.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* June 01, 2009, 09:43:43 AM
Thanks for the response guys.

Really I think my problems stem from not being able to get my head around working in 3D. Have tried reposition workplane but usually ends up being in some strange position .... what is the easiest way to get a handle on this?

What I am trying to do is design a car spaceframe chassis out of box section and triangulated in both vertical and horizontal planes. I tried copying or moving etc and just end up with the tubes in various apparently radom positions when looking at the 3D object  Do I need to switch between 2D and 3D ? and if so when?

Also when I tried to position the box section onto the workplane it sometimes appears 50% above and below the workplane.??

If you could just point me in the right direction I am sure that I can play around and get there eventually  ;D

Like I said if this is too basic I would not be offended if you point me elsewhere.

Thanks
Michael

* June 01, 2009, 05:30:20 PM
I think the biggest stumbling block to new 3D users is depth perception of the objects onscreen and difficulty navigating and orienting as a consequence.  I use "construction primitives" rather than construction lines, because 3D primitives give a better impression of the third dimension, and offer vertices, faces and other features that you can locate points and planes with, and they're useful with the assembly tools too.  Dropping in and out of hidden line and draft render views reinforces your orientation.  TC offers many ways to navigate from planes, and view options related to planes, so learning them can be bewildering at first, but once you get the hang of them, you can swing your viewpoint and location around like Tarzan.   Don't worry about your relationship with the workplane, because you can place a workplane anywhere.  As an example, just a simple box built on the world plane offers you five other planes just by face.  You can take the default plane, or reorient the coordinate system on each using plane by 3 points of any combination of three of the four vertices on each plane.  3 point gives you additional planes diagonally across the vertices of the box, and you can build boxes or other shapes off any plane to establish new planes.  You can use any plane as a one-time if you only need it the once, or if it's one that you'll use again or reorient from, give it a relevant name.   Use the scroll wheel zoom, swing, and button to improve your view, and reorient with the standard views if you get lost.  Have fun!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:30:17 PM by murray dickinson »

* June 02, 2009, 02:13:25 AM
Ok! Have my jungle call perfected and rope swinging technique mastered. All I need now is time, lots of time  ::)

Is it worth it ??? I could have drawn this on paper many times over by now! Yes I know the long term benefits will be worthwhile.

Soldiering on and thanks for the help.
Michael

* June 02, 2009, 05:39:38 AM
I've heard very good things about Don Cheke's tutorials, and they are not very expensive.  I believe they go "keystroke by keystroke", which is what you need when getting started.  There was a 3D lawnmower tutorial a while back (included with turbocad) that was pretty helpful also.  I don't remember if there was a .pdf version available.

JoeM

* June 02, 2009, 06:09:31 AM
You'll find that once you get the hang of modelling you'll forget all your sine cos & tan rules, I have, and you'll appreciate being able to get any dimension with a couple of clicks.
It's a long and winding road, learning modelling and also learning how to create useable drawings from your model, do a tutorial or two and things might start to make sense.
In regards to working with 3D objects, IMO "place on workplane" won't help you acheive anything, it has it's uses when working with 2D objects, but for 3D you're better off learning the assembly tools, if you've got them.
If you create a box section by drawing a rectangle then giving it a thickness, when you place it on another workplane the rectangle itself will move to the new workplane, because TC still recognises it as a rectangle with thickness and it's "Entity Coordinate System" (or the entities 'built in' workplane) is based on that rectangle.
If you do a 3D boolean on the same object eg: 3D slice, 3D add, 3D subtract etc. or explode it once, then it becomes an acis solid, or a TC surface (depends if you have pro or deluxe) and its "ECS" moves to the centre of the object. Place it on another workplane and that ECS will align with the workplane, hence 50% above and below.
3D primatives, like box, cone, sphere, taurus etc. have different ECS locations, depending on the type of object.
The 'selection info pallette' tells you what kind of object you are dealing with. Also with "show hide workplane" switched on, you can use 'workplane by entity' to see the entities coordinate system/workplane and you can tell more or less what will happen if you place it on another workplane.
When creating a part that is triangulated in both planes, I find it's necessary to be creative to get a workplane that aligns with one of the facets of the part, then create the part on that workplane or alternatively create the part on any old workplane then use assembly tools and/or the reference point, rotation handles and snaps  to locate it correctly. A rail sweep along a 3D polyline is another option, but the results can be tricky to control, and it's only available if you have TC pro.
Wish I could help more, and hope I havn't offered more confusion than clarification. I reckon after few tutorials you'll get the hang and start enjoying it. I remember doing a tutorial on modelling a CRT monitor, in V11 I think (or 9 or 10 ???), that was pretty good. Still got it here somewhere, if I knew how and that it was legal, I would post it.

Adam

* June 02, 2009, 10:43:59 AM
Thanks Adam...
Yes now totally confused  ;D
Will look again when head is clearer and I am sure it will all start to make sense.
Any/all of these pointers that you and others have given all help me to start out on the right path and eventually arrive at my destination.

All/ any further pointers from anyone continue to be welcome....

TIA
Michael