TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Open a file with TCad 2018
Read 792 times
* February 11, 2019, 07:36:26 AM
Hi,
I have a problem with TCad 2018 for open a drawing (TCW or other type); TCad 2018 is frozen I can’t select a file to choose my drawing (see the picture).
But I have also TCad 2017 installed on my computer and I can select file and open all files I need.
Somebody can give a solution at this problem on TCad 2018
Thank

* February 11, 2019, 09:16:16 AM
Can I ask.  How long did you wait.  Some users have reported a long time for open/save dialogs. (up to 45 seconds I think)

The only thing I can think of at present.  Is to try deleting the file history. 

With TurboCad NOT open.  on Windows 10.   Go to C:\Users\Your Username\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign\TurboCAD 2018\Professional x64\Data\History (or whatever hard drive if not drive c:\). if you have file extensions showing, rename History.txt, to History.old.  If file extensions are not showing, either turn them on, or copy/paste the history somewhere else, before deleting the history file.  TC will recreate a blank history when next opened.

Start up TC and see what happens. If it made no difference then,  go back and delete the newly created history, and rename the .old, back to .txt, (or after deleting the new one, copy/paste the old one back in).

If the above did not work, you could try deleting the 'built-in' folder, similar address to above, but in the profile folder instead of history folder.  but this will delete some customisation as it creates a new one and resets TC back to default.  You can copy/paste the built-in folder somewhere else, so you can replace the new one, if deleting it didn't resolve the problem.

* February 11, 2019, 11:12:27 AM
None of your solutions work. I deleted the history file without result, then I deleted the file Built-in and history, no result.
Despite having deleted the history I have in the window  "Open a drawing " The same list of drawings always present?
I handed over the history file by deleting all the histories, with no result.
I'm amazed that the Config file in built-in is empty (is this normal?)
After that I proceeded to a complete uninstall of TCad2018 and TCad2017 then I reinstalled TCad2017 and TCad2018, first opening a different file without problems (TC2017 and 2018). Then I wanted to open a new drawing, the window that blocked and crashes the selection of another file.
How can the program after reinstallation have the reference of a file opened previously? Would that not be an information in the registry that caused the program to crash? I say this because TCad 2018 and 2017 have been removed in a classic way without any deletion in the registry

* February 11, 2019, 03:15:44 PM
Even if you un-re install TC, there still will be a lot of files left in Document and AppData folder, so you need to delete them aswell, but be aware, there are normally some files/ drawings/ materials etc. etc you want to keep, so move them out of there first, maybe to some temp folders on your desktop ??

Un-re install TC is normally waste of time as it still have like described above in the system, deleting everything from Appdata and Document of the TC version you have problem with ( minus the files you want to keep and hopefully already have moved away) will give you an "clean" install of TC again.

"clean" because there is always some hidden files in the register that you will not be able to find.

If possible, maybe you could upload/ Attach a problemfile here at the forum and someone will maybe figure out what it is.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* February 11, 2019, 03:26:05 PM
Sorry you are still having problems. 

With regards the Config file, the ones that TC use are located in.   Documents - TurboCad 2018 - Professional x64 (if 64 bit) - Config.  this stores TC workspace, shortcut keys etc.  So the Config in the built in folder is normally empty.

* February 12, 2019, 12:14:08 PM
Thank you everybody for your helping.
In the joins PDF file (Details of Installation) you can see the installation of TCad 2018.
In the master disc system (C), in the disc My Documents (D).
Your experience can solve my problem
Thank too much

* February 12, 2019, 04:16:04 PM
Well. I have to admit, I've never seen that file system before.   As for the Config.  ignore the Config folders in the built in folders these are usually empty.  You have a separate config folder shown, but you also have other folders which I do not have. 

As for the history, I'm wondering , you have under CePC-Mes Documents - Documents - 05.04.03-Turbocad 2018. a folder called Professional x64FR, what is in there.   

Do you have any drawing from TC 2018, or from 2017, preferably one you not too bothered about.  If so, whilst this is not normally advisable,  with TC not open.  Find a tcw file in windows explorer,  right click it, choose 'open with '  If TC 2018 is not shown in the list, click 'choose another app' and locate tcw25.exe.  probably located in 'C:\Program Files\IMSIDesign\TCW2018\Program64' (or the equivalent in your TC language).  this will associate the file with TC 2018,  go back to 'open with', and choose 2018,. all this will hopefully bypass the start / file open dialog, and open the file in TC.

if it works, go to tools- customise.  in the options tab under workspace. click the 'Browse' button, this will (should) open up a window showing where TC is looking for the config files.

However.  As I say, I've not seen your file system before,  so. Sorry.   I've no idea where the problem may be.  This Maybe one for TC support to look into.

* February 12, 2019, 11:36:58 PM
Hi Andy,
When I click on a TC file from window It's OK, it's only when I want to open another drawing in TCad working that I have the problem.
About the setup and the files I sent you:
I wanted to install the TC program in the Windows Master Disk (C:) and the other files in my disk My Documents (D:).
Maybe is the problem
What I do not understand is that we have the choice of installing the files...
Should we install only TCad on a single disk?
Can you give me an installation tree of TCad?

February 13, 2019, 02:44:27 AM
I have a problem with TCad 2018 for open a drawing (TCW or other type); TCad 2018 is frozen I can’t select a file to choose my drawing (see the picture).
But I have also TCad 2017 installed on my computer and I can select file and open all files I need.

I did not see this addressed in the other messages, so I have to ask... how large is the file you are trying to open?  I have successfully opened files that are well over 100 MB, but it took a while (in some cases, well over 2 minutes).  It took even longer if the file was not native TCW format.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* February 13, 2019, 04:26:28 AM

Hello Jefff
All the files, 200 Mo or 1Go.
I try to open file .TCW to see if the problem is the same. The problem is only with the DWG file

* February 13, 2019, 04:51:21 AM
Have you try'd to open the dwg in Autodesk TrueViewer, free program, it will tell you if there is issues with the file(s).
The pic you show in 1 post seems to be of a only 375 Kb file, maybe you could upload that here and someone can test it.
Also, if there is brush/ hatch with splines and that is exploded, TC dont like it at all, it will spin for a short while before it give up if there is to much of it.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* February 13, 2019, 05:06:05 AM
Hi,
Yes of course I tried. I opened with Autocad without problem
The problem is, when I have an open drawing and I want to open a new file.
The Seclection menu is frozen the last file opened in blue color and when I click on the menu or the file TCad crush.

* February 13, 2019, 05:37:26 AM
Then i think Andy's link to support is the next step if that happens with whatever dwg file, and only with dwg files
I install/ run TC from D disk and no problem with that, but i also save to the D disk so …

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* February 13, 2019, 06:04:30 AM
Hello,
I apply the solution of andy and this solution is ok for the moment (test openning dwg file during three times with four files open ).
Thank you Andy, Torfinn and everybody for your helping.
 :) :) :) :)