TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Snap to a point
Read 387 times
* February 06, 2019, 01:57:30 AM
A TC user for many years and recently installed TC Deluxe 2018 (64-bit) on Desktop running Windows- 8.1. When drawing lines etc the starting or end snapped 100% (mm)to the position selected (Vertex, Intersection or what was selected). Now I have difficulty to snap to whatever I chose. The line either starts or ends at a position one or more mm away. Same problem with the Measurement tool. Rather frustrating. How do I resolve this problem? Something wrong in my setup or what?

* February 06, 2019, 04:21:59 AM
Hi David, the most likely thing is that you have tilted the view slightly. Try clicking the world view button. If you're drawing in 2D only, make sure you click the 2d/3d selector button.
Pete

* February 06, 2019, 11:43:15 AM
If the snap doesn't land on the feature it also sounds like you're drawing on a different workplane to the snap point. 

* February 09, 2019, 07:49:35 AM
Thank you for the response Peter and Murray. I am using the basic drawing tools (for woodworking stuff) of the product and are not familiar with the terminology. I draw in 2D only. Where do I find the world view button? What is a different workplane?. I usually draw on different layers depending on the size and complexity of the drawing. Eg all dimensions on a separate layer, hatching on another etc. I also have a problem with the Page setup Wizard. I select “Metric” on page 1 and on page 2 World units in mm and Decimal Precision = 0. When I measure on the drawing up to 4 decimal digits are displayed (eg 10.1234mm)!!

* February 09, 2019, 09:13:34 AM
You should use min. 6 decimals in the Wizard setup, that is what's recomended for TC to work good
But you dont need to show them all in the Dimension, working in Metric and with Architechual stuff i normally set precision to 0 for dimension, metal will very often use at least 3 decimals for precision work
All this you can adjust in the Dimension's Property, before or after if you forgot it at first, but that can be boring to do later.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* February 09, 2019, 11:47:01 AM
Press Ctrl+W to go to World view.

Henry H

* February 13, 2019, 06:35:37 AM
My “snap to” problem not resolved yet. Neither can I draw parallel lines. Eg want to draw a line say 16mm parallel to line-X but the line is drawn 200mm parallel to line-X. There is no constant pattern- the parallel distance varies. Next time the 16mm parallel line is on 40mm etc. Tried other settings but no joy! On previous versions of TC, using Polar Co-ordinates I specified the distance between lines (plus or minus) but it does not work now!
What a frustration! For almost 20 years I enjoyed using TC. Now in my late 70’s I thought I will treat myself and upgrade to a newer version. And now I am stuck. Can not move back to the older version because it is no longer available to download!!
Trying to modify my older drawings I have the same problem. I have un- and reinstalled the program but still no joy
 >:(

* February 13, 2019, 07:28:07 AM
Can it be that you are in 3D mode even if you only draw 2D and have Perpective view checked in Camera property

View/ Camera >> Properties >> Perpective Views

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* February 13, 2019, 09:41:08 AM
I am not familiar with the parallel lines tool (in fact, I didn't even know it existed until I read your post!). If you can get no joy with that tool, the contour tool would do the same job.

* February 13, 2019, 02:46:01 PM
My “snap to” problem not resolved yet. Neither can I draw parallel lines. Eg want to draw a line say 16mm parallel to line-X but the line is drawn 200mm parallel to line-X. There is no constant pattern- the parallel distance varies. Next time the 16mm parallel line is on 40mm etc. Tried other settings but no joy! On previous versions of TC, using Polar Co-ordinates I specified the distance between lines (plus or minus) but it does not work now!
What a frustration! For almost 20 years I enjoyed using TC. Now in my late 70’s I thought I will treat myself and upgrade to a newer version. And now I am stuck. Can not move back to the older version because it is no longer available to download!!
Trying to modify my older drawings I have the same problem. I have un- and reinstalled the program but still no joy

That particular problem is usually a "Workplane" issue and arises when the original line has been moved after it was created. If that is indeed what's causing your trouble, the fix is to select that original line and apply "Place on WorkPlane" (press Alt+Shift+W).

Henry H

* February 14, 2019, 08:35:13 PM

If your just opening Older files and then Straight up having issues ... the perhaps you are in REDsdk mode.
In REDsdk mode >> everything looks "abbreviated" along with lines not looking snapped together (1mm off)

Try >> Options > Program Setup > NATIVE DRAW ... Select GDI and tick "Flicker Free"

A link >> https://turbocaddoc.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/TG/pages/170754235/Native+Draw

Cheers
Mike