TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Does it matter what Mouse you use for CAD work?
Read 356 times
* January 22, 2019, 08:51:32 AM
I see some for over $500

Some claim to be "CAD / ENGINEERING specific.

I've always used a $8.00 mouse but at times I feel more accuracy would be nice.

Is there any benefit to purchasing a "high resolution / HIGH DPI Mouse for CAD work ? 
If so, can you suggest one?

Thanks

TurboCAD v11 Professional

January 22, 2019, 10:59:01 AM
I see some for over $500

Some claim to be "CAD / ENGINEERING specific.

I've always used a $8.00 mouse but at times I feel more accuracy would be nice.

Is there any benefit to purchasing a "high resolution / HIGH DPI Mouse for CAD work ? 
If so, can you suggest one?

Thanks
Below is what I use, it has programmable buttons, the two buttons on the LH side I have programed for the space bar and delete key which comes in quite handy in TC. I have never checked if it a high resolution / HIGH DPI Mouse for CAD work, but it seems very accurate.
Paul
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mx-anywhere-2s-flow?crid=7

User Since V8, currently using TurboCAD Pro Platinum 2018.
Always leave the back door open, you never know when you might need to run out it.

* January 22, 2019, 11:47:32 AM
I cannot answer the question. But, I will offer my thoughts.

I'd say the number one priority is.   Comfort.  My mouse developed a left button fault a while back, I went into a computer store and played with quite a number of mice,  about 50% (including a £99.00 one (UK price)) were just not comfortable for my hands to use.    In the end I found an old mouse in my attick.  So robbed a switch out of it, and repaired my mouse.

Resolution.  I suspect most optical mice have 1000 or more, which I personally consider quite adequate for CAD and general use (mine has 1000). That said, I only have 2 monitors , both set at 1920 x 1200. And I generally only use TC on one monitor.  I balance the resolution with software settings to get smooth enough motion across both screens. If I was using 2 monitors both set at 3840 X 2160 then I would need a higher DPI to maintain smooth motion within a reasonable distance (mouse movement).

A number of the higher priced mice, have lots of buttons.  Overkill IMO.  I have enough trouble remembering keyboard shortcuts, without remembering lots of mouse buttons.  Also whilst playing with different mice, I found it way too easy to press a button by mistake.  My choice of button was determined by the fact that I like a programable button on the right side of the mouse. which I set up as a mouse wheel click for examining 3d in TC, because I don't like clicking the wheel. 

Basically IMO.  Unless you are using very high resolution monitors, or perhaps 4 lower resolution ones.  Or you are finding your mouse curser jerky.  then I would concentrate on comfort and use, rather than dpi.   AT $8 (around £6.30) your probably not looking at top-of-the-line hardware though.  I cannot remember what mine cost (its not made anymore), but an equivalent nowadays is around £25.00 (around $32.50).  That is mainly because I wanted an extra programable button on the right side of the mouse.   

* January 22, 2019, 12:02:57 PM
I use a Logitech M705 because it is very comfortable in my hands.  There are a couple of programmable thumb buttons, but I rarely use them.  It typically retails around US$20.

Steve

* January 22, 2019, 12:30:31 PM
Recent mice, even generic varieties, often have a blue laser that tracks reliably, in my experience, even on highly reflective surfaces.  Worth looking out for.  Logitech are offering, on their recent mice, something that they call "Darkstar" laser that they say works on almost any surface.  I'm also interested in a couple of other Logitech features, their "flow" software, that can copy and paste files between PCs via the mouse, and the fact that a couple of their mice can be bluetoothed to three PCs AND have a 2.4G dongle as well that can be ad hocced to anything else.    There are a couple of other ways of doing such things, there's a Windows thing called "Mouse without borders", a project by a microsoft engineer, and "Barrier" which I've been experimenting with recently, which can copy-and-paste between Win, Linux, Mac too.  More fun stuff like that: just bought an ultrawide 2560 x 1080 LG monitor which can be HDMI-ed to display two PC (two HDMI inputs) and makes files transportable between them two, haven't tried it out but these sorts of things are kind of the next step of KVM, keyboard/video/monitor switching and interaction.     
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:35:12 PM by murray dickinson »

* January 22, 2019, 02:22:57 PM
I accept the possibilities of additional, powerful functions now appearing; but surely the real accuracy comes from the programme itself?

For example, if you want two lines to join, or shading reach an edge, or a circle have a finely-set diameter; the software can do that to pixel precision (even finer perhaps, arithmetically) greater than even the most experienced operator can do by sliding the cursor manually - as you would want if your aim is to create a file to control CNC precision-machining operations.

I'd have thought more to the point is comfort and particularly, avoiding joint troubles. Unlike word-processors, spreadsheets, databases and programming, which are perhaps the most commonly-used serious applications for computers, CAD demands considerable mouse-work.

When at work, I, along with others, suffered from various aches and pains due to using a conventional mouse, even though my own work was primarily keyboard-based. The company supplied us with what upright controllers looking superficially like joy-sticks. The ones we used were called "Penguins" by trade-names, an effect heightened by their mischievous aesthetics! They were made in different sizes, so we could select the personally best. Their point is that you hold them in a more natural position than a "mouse" mouse forces.

The one I have here at home is similar, though it does not have a scroll-wheel, occasionally a disadvantage though not so much in TC.

If you prefer a conventional "mouse"-shaped mouse, it is worth trying different ones if possible. One of my work colleagues provided his own, as he has small hands. It was smaller and more steeply dome-shaped, shaped as a stylised model of a VW "Beetle". It was actually intended for children but he found it suited his hand better than the conventional device.

I have been having shoulder trouble exacerbated by too much computer-using, and for the time being have become somewhat ambidextrous, using the mouse/joystick-shaped thing with my left rather than right hand.

So perhaps absolute accuracy in the device is not as important as being able to use it with as little joint and muscle strain as possible. Let the precision settings, inspector-bar entries and tool-bar functions, look after the numbers!     

Nigel.

On TC Deluxe 19: hobby use.