TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Confirm exploding blocks to perform 3d modifications
Read 524 times
* January 20, 2019, 04:32:32 PM
Hi,

From what I have read on this and other forums, to perform, say, a 3d subtract of a solid on a block, I need to explode the block.  So I lose the ability to edit the original block and have the edit update the now exploded block.

Is this correct?

Regards,

Leigh

* January 20, 2019, 05:57:35 PM
Hi,

From what I have read on this and other forums, to perform, say, a 3d subtract of a solid on a block, I need to explode the block.  So I lose the ability to edit the original block and have the edit update the now exploded block.

Is this correct?

Regards,

Leigh

That is correct, if you want to perform the operation on just one instance of the Block in your drawing. If you want all of the same-named blocks to reflect the operation, do it in the Edit Block mode (by selecting the Block in the Blocks palette and clicking the Edit Content icon).

Henry H

* January 20, 2019, 06:08:56 PM
Thanks Henry.  I have a box with three instances of a block potentiometer sitting in position through the lid of the box.  I want to 3d subtract the shafts of the pots from the lid.  So I have to explode the three block pots to do that.  So I lose the blocks, and therefore can't edit the original block and have the changes reflected in the exploded pots.  I'd have to delete the exploded blocks and replace them with copies of the block pot.

That's the way to do it, hey?

Thanks again,

Leigh :)

* January 20, 2019, 06:20:24 PM
Sounds to me like a simpler solution is to trace three cylinders from the shafts and subtract them from the lid?

* January 20, 2019, 06:46:39 PM
True Murray.  It can get more complicated tho.. some pots have little location bumps on them that also need subtracting from the lid.  So, it is necessary to duplicate that feature too.  It's just a bit sad that a block can't be subtracted.

No worries, on we march :)

* January 20, 2019, 06:57:40 PM
You don't need to edit or explode the original.  Copy the insertions in place, explode the copies   and use those components to boolean the lid.  Or explode the originals. Use the copy check on the inspector bar while they're selected and copies are functionally identical to the originals.  Copy in place and other copy methods don't preserve associations or properties.  Nothing is lost of the blocks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 07:03:42 PM by murray dickinson »

* January 20, 2019, 08:30:12 PM
Thanks Murray.  That's a good solution.

Appreciated. 

Leigh :)