TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

How do I finish this cannon barrel off?
Read 662 times
* January 17, 2019, 07:16:52 AM
Hi,

I usually only work in 2-d, but have started to use the 3-d options, so that I can design fittings for a 3-d printer.

I am trying to draw a cannon barrel in 3d, and have got the basic shapes using the rotate tool, but how do I finish off the end round part, add the hole at the front, and add the motif at the top.

Which commands would I need to finish and align these parts? Have spent hours on this, am hopeless!

(TC 2018 Pro Plat)

Thank you,

Chris

* January 17, 2019, 08:38:23 AM
Let's save the motif for a later post, 'cuz that's more complicated.

I've attached a slightly modified version of your drawing. Easiest way to create the barrel, complete with hole and rounded end, is to open the attached drawing and apply the Rotate command to the blue entities, choosing the long horizontal centerline as the axis of revolution and enabling "Use compound profile."

Henry H

* January 17, 2019, 09:23:15 AM
Let's save the motif for a later post, 'cuz that's more complicated.

I've attached a slightly modified version of your drawing. Easiest way to create the barrel, complete with hole and rounded end, is to open the attached drawing and apply the Rotate command to the blue entities, choosing the long horizontal centerline as the axis of revolution and enabling "Use compound profile."

Henry H

Thank you Henry!

OK, I have done all of the rotation commands, except for the very last sphere at the end, which will not rotate. I have attached the file.

* January 17, 2019, 11:19:24 AM
I think you missed the part about "enabling "Use compound profile.". Activate the Revolve tool, then select "Use Compound Profile" in the Local Menu and select any part of the profile. The whole profile will be highlighted. Revolve. Done.

"Use Compound Profile" is only found in the Pro editions.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:21:11 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* January 17, 2019, 12:30:39 PM
Thank you! of course, sorry, my wife came back when I was looking at the file the last time, I must have got distracted.

I have attached the fully revolved cannon, thanks you your help.

All that's left is the crossbar, which is offset (Think I just accidentally worked that one out..), and the couple of small patterns than go on top of the main barrel - not sure about these as the surface they're to be attached to is round, and I am unsure how to add the curve on the bottom faces of the two small parts.

I think that once I get the hang of this, adding those smaller parts especially, I will be very happy!

Thank you

* January 17, 2019, 03:50:19 PM
You could do a two sided extrude of the circle to make the crossbar. This way it extrudes in both directions.

My usual method for the emblem is to extrude it high enough that will sit completely in the barrel. I activated "Make Copy" and moved the Barrel and emblem 10mm in the "Y" direction. I 3D subtracted the originals and 3D Intersected the copies. I moved the intersect copy back -10mm in the "Y" direction. The copy fills the subtract hole and its face is curved like barrel. It can be moved up a little, if necessary. I like to use 3D polylines for construction lines on occasion.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:52:51 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* January 18, 2019, 02:23:48 AM
Thank you, John,

Thanks to your help (and Henry), I think I have it! I have attached the file containing the barrel with all parts in place, is this OK?

On a side note, one thing I have noticed in all versions of TC (since TC7, my first), is that when moving any object which has curved in 3-d, it really doesn't like it, and can be very slow, even with a very powerful PC (8700k, 32GB RAM, 1080TI GPU and NVMe hard drives) ! This has always been the same, is there any trick to get around this?

January 18, 2019, 03:45:49 AM
On a side note, one thing I have noticed in all versions of TC (since TC7, my first), is that when moving any object which has curved in 3-d, it really doesn't like it, and can be very slow, even with a very powerful PC (8700k, 32GB RAM, 1080TI GPU and NVMe hard drives) ! This has always been the same, is there any trick to get around this?

Don't do it in Render mode (or maybe get a Quadro video card).  The RedSDK engine is generally faster than Lightworks, but it is a paid add-on in some versions.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* January 18, 2019, 04:38:24 AM
Jeff, I do not use render moving the objects, as I know this is fatal to system performance!

One thing, I have noticed the cannon in the last file has lines instead of rounded edges, what have I done wrong, and how can this be corrected?

Thank you

January 18, 2019, 05:12:43 AM
One thing, I have noticed the cannon in the last file has lines instead of rounded edges, what have I done wrong, and how can this be corrected?

The first thing I would try is pressing function key F5 (Refresh). After that, I might check the ACIS settings under Options to see if the Quality is too low.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* January 18, 2019, 05:55:11 AM

The one with the arrow pointing at it, is a TCSurface,.  like its been exploded from an ACIS solid.  I don't know if deliberate or accidental, but.  Do not do that. 

* January 18, 2019, 06:13:53 AM
I know what it is, they need to be ACIS solids, and not TC Surfaces, I redone the barrel and made sure the ACIS solid was chosen in the 3-D properties.

* January 18, 2019, 08:10:37 AM
OK, thanks to you guys, all three cannon barrels of differing sizes have now been drawn and saved to STL, ready to be 3-d printed.

Thank you so much for your input, is really is appreciated.

Chris