TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Unfold Face tool
Read 489 times
* January 12, 2019, 08:39:00 AM
I can use this tool to unfold the face of a partial straight cylinder ( think half of a beer can) , but not the face of a tapered cylinder (airplane turtledeck). Is this possible?

* January 12, 2019, 09:47:19 AM
It works for me. Can you post the .tcw in which it seems not to work?

Henry H

* January 13, 2019, 02:42:30 PM
Here is a test file. As you can see the straight cylinder unfolded. I cannot select the tapered cylinder with the tool.

I am using proplatinum 21

* January 13, 2019, 04:56:52 PM
Here is a test file. As you can see the straight cylinder unfolded. I cannot select the tapered cylinder with the tool.

I am using proplatinum 21

After fiddling with this for a while, I've concluded that the Start Angles and End Angles must be identical for the two circular arcs you lofted to create the tapered cylinder. I guess that otherwise the object is not a "ruled surface" and therefore cannot be flattened.

Henry H

* January 19, 2019, 12:31:43 PM
Thank you for looking into it Henry. I tried unfolding a loft created by scaling the larger arc down to create the smaller arc. This worked, the start and end angles identical.  I then modified the start and end angles of the smaller arc, from the example that would not work,  to match the larger arc. I did this in the selection info window.  Once again I could not select the loft to unfold. It appears that this tool will only work if the arcs used are concentric.             

* January 19, 2019, 12:43:42 PM
Thank you for looking into it Henry. I tried unfolding a loft created by scaling the larger arc down to create the smaller arc. This worked, the start and end angles identical.  I then modified the start and end angles of the smaller arc, from the example that would not work,  to match the larger arc. I did this in the selection info window.  Once again I could not select the loft to unfold. It appears that this tool will only work if the arcs used are concentric.           

There seems to be more to it than that. I created an arbitrary arc, made a copy and displaced it in the X and Z directions, then lofted. The result unfolded with no problem.

Another way to create a tapered cylinder is with the Cone tool, which offers many options. Some of these produce unfoldable objects and some don't -- and I have not figured out why.

Henry H