TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Why do my objects change from filled to hollow when subtracted from?
Read 465 times
* January 01, 2019, 03:38:18 PM
Sometimes when I subtract from one object, using another as a cutter, the object being cut changes from a solid, filled object to a hollow shell with only an outer surface.  What am I doing that causes this?

* January 01, 2019, 04:03:02 PM
I've had this happen when a profile(s) for the 3D object's wasn't "Closed". If using Platinum, activate "Use Compound Profile" before using the 3D tool (Simple Extrude, Revolve, etc). If using Expert or Deluxe, make sure the profile (polyline, curve, etc) is closed. Select the profile with the Edit Tool and right-click on a blue node. If it says "Close" at the bottom of the Local Menu, the 3D object created will be hollow. Click on "Close" to fix this problem in the profile. Recreate the 3D object with the fixed profile(s).

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* January 01, 2019, 04:48:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.  That does give me a way to check profiles for closure.  I tried this with my part, which did turn out to have a small open spot, but when I fixed this, I still have the problem.  The part looks good, and when cut with a simple square extrusion, all looks correct, however after I cut the part to put internal threads in the center, If I again do any operations to the outside, it opens up areas which let you see the inside surfaces, as if the part was just a hollow shell, with missing surfaces.

Any additional suggestions much appreciated.

I've attached a file, showing the part appearing as just a shell.  You can even see "through" it.

* January 01, 2019, 05:45:10 PM
What edition are you using; Platinum, Expert or Deluxe?

I've encountered similar problems in Deluxe. Probably something for Support to look at.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* January 01, 2019, 05:49:57 PM
I'm using Deluxe.  Just starting to learn 3D modeling.

* January 01, 2019, 06:20:52 PM
The fix seems to be to move the blade about half a millimeter into the pommel before subtracting, so that it projects beyond the latter. Although it's always good practice to be sure that the subtrahend and the minuend do not share a common face, I'll admit that I've never seen this particular problem result from failure to follow the rule.

Henry H
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:00:01 AM by Henry Hubich »

* January 01, 2019, 07:59:06 PM
Thanks Henry H for taking the time to look into this!  I really appreciate the advice. 

I'm on the steep (and at times frustrating!!) part of the learning curve.