TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Please Review TurboCAD - We would love to hear your thoughts...
Read 13587 times
* April 01, 2019, 04:40:50 AM
Missed a bit! I mis-keyed something and it sent the previous incomplete and unedited.

"I think I have Adobe installed, but I have had great problems with both Adobe it demanding to be re-loaded"

should be

"I think I have Adobe installed, but I have had great problems with Adobe demanding to be re-loaded and failing each time. I think it wants me to pay for a rented version, as WinZip does, and to replace my browser with Google Chrome.

Nigel.

On TC Deluxe 19: hobby use.

* April 01, 2019, 05:18:14 AM
If you have win 10, there is a pdf Reader included, or maybe search for another free pdf Reader.
Your issue with Adobe maybe is related to they only sell cloud versions now ??

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* April 01, 2019, 07:57:26 AM
My feedback relates to the import and use of blueprints as guides, both importing AND scaling.  Renders anywhere near pr are a dark art that has also completely passed by me.

* April 01, 2019, 04:11:36 PM
Torfinn -

I use WIN 7 Pro.

This was my first computer bought new, from an independent dealer so I knew I could better advice than from the supermarket-type places.
It actually had WIN 8 but the dealer re-set it to 7, which he said was a common request from people wanting more than just e-mails and entertainments from their computers. I fell for MS' blandishments and loaded WIN 10 when it was new and still free, but it was a disaster. Among other things it wiped out my several web-site registrations and even after reverting to 7 I had a Dickens of a chore repairing the damage. 

I did not know Adobe is purely internet based now. (Why do they call it the "cloud"? Is it a euphemism to divert attention from the increased security risks?)

However I had heard it's likely that many of the main software publishers will eventually use a similar business model, worse, replacing up-front purchases with costly subscriptions in open-ended "contracts", so they make far more money! I do not know if this "heard it's likely" has much substance in it, but it's apparently the case with WinZip, and certainly with the Adobe software necessary for converting those wretched docx and xlsx files to editable forms.

Nigel.

* April 01, 2019, 05:07:16 PM
I use win 10 and are happy with that, sometimes i need to switch over to IE instead of EDGE if i should have some old map's from the county or even some files in here at the forum, but else EDGE do the job.

I have win 7 on the old machine but that one is basically a dustcollector now, and i had a big job to keep MS's fingers away from it when they want everyone to switch over to win 10 :),

The "Cloud" is just a fancy word for trying to hide " i want more of your bucks " in my head, and the same thing with this socalled service fee, we buy a program, get an old version/ built of it and need to pay extra for get the last buildt of it, truly i dont see that as a service.
Of course the company's should make Money, i only just dont like if i dont get an option, and that is also the mainreason for why any Appleproduct is "forbidden" in my household, i have always been, and still are anti-Apple :)
So it's just a matter of time before all programs is sold that way, they should all survive and give profit to stockholders, so from that point of view it's understandable, but i dont need to like it.

I have Adobe XI, but stop using it after i got TurboPDF, and i also used CutePDF that is free before that again, and at least back then there was no commercial on it, have no ide'a how it is today.
So you could try look for that, there is also one another that Jeff talk about, 3 digits like 936PDF or similar to that.
One of this should be able for you to use and be able to read pdf's, but if you want edit/ write a pdf i assume you need to buy one.
But you can write in TC and save as pdf if it's only simple needs.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

April 01, 2019, 06:58:21 PM
So you could try look for that, there is also one another that Jeff talk about, 3 digits like 936PDF or similar to that.

Doesn't ring a bell with me, but I have PrimoPDF installed on my system for the times when I have to print several of TurboCAD's paper spaces to a single document (I was never able to get reliable results using TurboCAD's setup with CutePDF).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* April 01, 2019, 07:03:15 PM
Then i mix you with someone else on that point, but Primo will do the same thing for Nigel i guess, thanks.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* April 02, 2019, 03:34:09 PM
I don't think I'll have any problems in this regard with TurboCAD because I don't envisage sending drawings elsewhere, nor receiving any.

The difficulties I had with locked files and sharp business practices first appeared shortly before I retired a couple of years or so ago, and sent home from my work "confuser" various 'Word' and 'Excel' documents about my pension. (I won't mention the odd lunch-time "bunny" like change-wheel tables...)

I'd attached them in good faith as .doc and .doc files, but they arrived with 'x' on the end, so were unusable. They would though, open a side panel labelled Adobe, with a short options menu and big blue "Convert Now" button... Only that was deceitful as it converted nothing, but merely opened a sales page demanding over £30/month to let me do what should never have been necessary anyway, and never was previously. Luckily I found I could avoid this rip-off by re-saving the files first in older formats.   

Subsequently, as an officer of my model-engineering club whose committee e-circulated its reports prior to committee-meetings, this file-type-x malarkey made it even harder to compile several reports in a rich mixture of styles and file-formats, into cohesive meeting hand-books.

I dread to think what Microsoft and Adobe between them, will do to transmitted CAD work! Perhaps though the real problem is not whether they will allow exchanging drawings in the latest formats, and editably so; but also ones made several years ago.

Nigel.

April 02, 2019, 03:50:56 PM
I'd attached them in good faith as .doc and .doc files, but they arrived with 'x' on the end, so were unusable.

So many people never upgraded from Office 2003 (me among them) that Microsoft released a converter so it can read & write the .DOCX, .XLSX, etc. formats.

You can find it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=33298

I occasionally (rarely, actually) see a warning that some aspects of a document may be misinterpreted, but it hasn't been a problem for me.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* April 02, 2019, 04:07:36 PM
Thank-you for that, Jeffin.

I had a quick look, to find a somewhat worrying message that "This page will be retired".

Nigel.

April 02, 2019, 05:58:16 PM
I did not notice the retirement notice.  I now have downloaded (and properly labeled) the plug-in.

Thanks,

Jeff

* April 04, 2019, 12:27:22 PM
Thus encouraged I tried to install it..

The MS web-site told me my computer already has the converter (news to me!), and the installation therefore failed.

Nigel.