TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Selection Info
Read 258 times
* December 19, 2018, 11:23:46 PM
When I draw a component, say an angle bracket with holes and cut outs, select then Selection Info all of the information regarding each hole and cut out is there and can be changed. Copying and pasting the bracket loses none of the Selection Info information.  But, if I move using  "Selected Entities by two Points" then open Selection Info to make some changes it is now an ACIS Solid without any way of editing a feature. Is there a setting somewhere that I have missed switching on or off?

* December 20, 2018, 12:35:55 AM
Using the copy button in the context menu is the only way to copy the object's associations. Copies created with transform tools, the various copy tools, rubber stamp or ctrl with put down all break associations.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:14:47 PM by murray dickinson »

* December 20, 2018, 03:07:04 AM
Murray, many thanks. There is then no other way of modifying a feature on an object once one of the copy tools has been used to copy and accurately move/re-position the object.

December 20, 2018, 03:18:58 AM
It might be worth keeping the original item, on it's own layer perhaps?
Therefore having a backup, should anything go wrong.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

* December 20, 2018, 03:57:20 AM
Have you considered the delta fields.  For example.  if you want a copy 100mm in x direction.   Activate the make copy tool, tab to X delta field, type in 100, and you get the copy along with part tree info.  Not forgetting to Turn off Make copy.

* December 20, 2018, 05:17:06 AM
This question and all your answers add up to a perfect example of what sort of information should be in the user guide.  Having experienced this exact sort of problem and the hours of associated frustration I can say it would be  time and money well spent to add this sort of sage advice to the manual.  I predict it would provide a huge upswing in TC new user satisfaction and would improve their sales ledger.

The manual is over 2000 pages with a significant portion devoted to the programming interface, but it is shamefully devoid of program function limits and methods such as this post bears out.

Not sure if one already exists, but I would pay for a manual which describes the various CAD element properties, associations, and object interaction rules and limits.

* December 20, 2018, 08:19:07 AM
Thank you all for your advice. I now understand. It does seem strange, though, that having and using powerful tools such as "Move" and "Generic Transformation"  the ability to easily edit a feature disappears.

* December 20, 2018, 03:11:03 PM
You don't lose the ability if you're moving the original, and TC does give you warnings like "use update compound profile" if you're doing that, it's copies that lose the associations.  It's more usual that, if you want to have parent/child relationships between original and copies, you use blocks.  I'm not with TC right now, but I think that block copies can be exploded and their associations recovered.  If that's so, you could create progressive iterations using blocks as the copy medium.  Otherwise, facet editor, imprint, quick pull and tweak face are TC's direct editing means that don't rely on original generators. 
It's also worth stipulating "keep undo buffer" with files, so you've got the potential to undo up to 100 operations, because you can export an object as its own discrete file, undo back to as far as you need to go, create a copy using the make copy option, import the standalone object that you exported earlier and use it to locate the copy if you haven't some other means.  Sounds long-winded, but everything becomes second nature if you practice it enough. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:20:24 PM by murray dickinson »