TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Import blocks into library
Read 364 times
* December 19, 2018, 11:38:46 AM
I was able to get a hold of some AutoCAD symbols saved in a .dwg file, and I'd like to move them into a TurboCAD library. It looks like I need to drag each one from the drawing to the library. I have two questions:

1. Do I have to drag each block individually to get it into my library or is there a way to bulk import blocks into the library?

2. I notice when I open a .dwg file in TurboCAD and go to the Blocks tab, each of the blocks has a name. When I drag the block into the library, I have to give it a name again. Is there any way to give it the same name as the one that the block already has?

* December 19, 2018, 12:13:04 PM
I would put the DWG file in your "My Symbols" folder to see what shows up. You'll probably need to right-click in the Library palette, "My Symbols" section and choose "Reload Library" (Local Menu). The DWG may show up as new folder and the enclosed Blocks may show as Symbols within that folder that can be inserted to a new drawing.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* December 19, 2018, 02:05:26 PM
When I tried that it combined all the blocks in that file into 1 symbol. So it doesn't seem like TurboCAD is smart enough to create a folder or otherwise separate each block into its own file. That was a good idea, though. Let me know if anyone has other suggestions.

* December 19, 2018, 02:27:42 PM
Next option to try…

Open a "New from Scratch" drawing and the DWG file.
Drag the Blocks from the DWG file over to the New file.
Open the Properties dialog (Ctrl+F) for each Block. If empty, enter a name for the Block.
When the New drawing is filled, save it as a TCW, then Close it.
Rename the TCW file in Windows Explorer with a SLW extension. i.e. "New file.tcw" to "New file.slw".
Place the SLW file in "My Symbols" and reload.
You should now get a folder for the New File in the Library palette and the Blocks should show up as separate Symbols.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit