TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

slow disk access
Read 1042 times
* December 17, 2018, 11:45:46 AM
TCD 25, build 49

I have two SSD drives in my system and for most applications file operations are very fast.  Typically the open and save-as dialogs open with an average  delay between 1 & 2 seconds. There are a couple which take maybe 5 seconds to open.  Turbocad file operations take an eternity to execute, comparably so.  I timed it this morning and it took a whapping 43 seconds for the open dialog box to appear.  Once the dialog is open it seems to function in a typical manner.   Unfortunately for me with TB, this very slow dialog response appears to be a normal occurrence.

Does anyone have an explanation as to why this may be happen and maybe a fix.

* December 17, 2018, 09:58:40 PM
This is not the way TC behaves for me. I just use TC on a 4 years old laptop. Something doesn't seem right
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:00:53 PM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* December 17, 2018, 11:51:52 PM
If the last file you saved before closing TC was on a disk that have a lot of files it can takes TC some time to open, i see that myself if i was in my download disk before closing TC it takes looong time for TC to sort that disk next time i open TC again, but not like 43 sec.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* December 18, 2018, 03:11:16 AM
Something you could try.  When the open dialog finally arrives, at the top of the left pane is a drop down box for history, drawings, templates, custom.  Is your set to History.  If so, use the vertical slider in the left pane to count how many history items it looks for, the default I think is 20, but can be set as desired by right clicking in the pane, and choosing Define history length.  too high a value could slow things down.

As a test, if you don't mind losing the history thumbnails until you have opened the files in TC again, you could clear the history (available in the right click menu as above) in case something in the history log or something the log is trying to find, is causing a problem, .  The log is actually a text file probably in (assuming windows 10), C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign\TurboCAD 2018\Deluxe x64\History. 

I have experienced slow file opening dialog, up to 30 seconds.  But it appears to have cleared up,  this could be one of two things, either something in the history log got knocked off the bottom of it, (mine is set at 20, so saving another file, knocks one of the older files off the list).  Or. Windows 10 sent a weekly update which cured the problem.  I don't know which of these is true.   

* December 18, 2018, 04:52:26 AM
It did in fact seem to be the history cache that was the issue.  In fact when I cleared the history, all IO operations were much faster. On the order of 1-2 seconds to open the dialog.  The weirdest part is that TC itself opens in about 1/2 time it was taking, which makes no sense to me as a programmer.  Filling the history with thumbnail should not be tied to application startup.  It's almost like these thumbnails are created every time TC starts. Certainly not necessary.

Anyway my issues is fixed for now.  Thanks for the ideas.

December 18, 2018, 06:08:30 AM
Something you could try.  When the open dialog finally arrives, at the top of the left pane is a drop down box for history, drawings, templates, custom.  Is your set to History.  If so, use the vertical slider in the left pane to count how many history items it looks for, the default I think is 20, but can be set as desired by right clicking in the pane, and choosing Define history length.  too high a value could slow things down.

My default was 50.  I changed it to 3 and the time it took to get to the New Drawing popup was reduced by some 7-10 seconds (now at 30 seconds).

Based on my understanding, the cause of this delay is the fact that TurboCAD is written to reference DLLs (Dynamic Linked Libraries) to bring up the various program functions.  There are literally thousands of DLLs (2,236, in my installation) in the Program64 folder and only one processor core loads everything while booting.

I don't know how many of the 2,236 DLLs are loaded to get to the New Drawing popup, but I do know that running everything through one processor core and loading many, many different files is not going to be fast (even with the NVMe M.2 memory card I use as my boot device).  My LabVIEW program takes about the same amount of time to load.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* December 18, 2018, 12:17:47 PM
I completely understand why graphic manipulation software is slow to load, but I was surprised when deleting the history cache made a difference in application startup time. It's almost like it builds the history graphics data twice, at program start and again when opening the dialogs.  Just saying, but thanks for the reply.

* January 19, 2019, 07:53:54 PM
I am experiencing very long File Open dialog when I start TC 2018 after cold boot my PC. I change the history to 2 and turn off Force Album Thumbnails but no help. But Subsequent File Open time is normal.

TurboCAD Pro Platinum 2018 64-bit

January 20, 2019, 03:41:30 AM
I am experiencing very long File Open dialog when I start TC 2018 after cold boot my PC. I change the history to 2 and turn off Force Album Thumbnails but no help. But Subsequent File Open time is normal.

I would hazard a guess that the DLLs that TurboCAD needs to function are being loaded before the file requester pops up the first time, so that subsequent pop ups are faster.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* January 20, 2019, 04:38:30 AM
But I think dll should be load on demand, that's how it called dynamic load library. I have Rhino 6 and the file dialog just open instantly.

January 20, 2019, 05:47:49 AM
But I think dll should be load on demand, that's how it called dynamic load library. I have Rhino 6 and the file dialog just open instantly.

Yes, it should load on demand, but TurboCAD 2018 has 2,238 DLLs and I have verified that it only loads them with one processor core, so even though it is not loading all of them at once, it's still going to take a while.  I have a programming suite (LabVIEW) that takes approximately the same amount of time to boot up.

Jeff

* January 20, 2019, 09:24:02 AM
I don't think slowdown is related loading dll, because new file from template looks normal but open file dialog took very long time, it seems when the Open Dialog show the first time, TC have something to do with drives and directories or file system.

I exclude Program Files/IMSIDesign, %programdata%\IMSIDesign, and %appdata%\IMSIDesign in Windows Defender, when I select New a drawing from template, only TC has CPU workload, but when I click Open File dialog, Antimalware Service has high CPU loading,  but disk access loading only 1%.