TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

How to keep zoom on selection when chaning standard views
Read 327 times
* December 09, 2018, 06:40:01 AM
TCD build 49

When constructing 3D objects I often move between standard views to verify alignment and such. When changing the views, the zoom moves out to encompass a larger area and the camera auto centers away from my selection. This requires me to zoom back in on the selection every time I change the view to continue working the object.  Obviously this is very time consuming.   Is there a setting I could change to keep the camera centered on the selection at the same zoom factor when changing between view angles?

* December 09, 2018, 11:22:40 AM
I think your only option is to have multiple windows open. Go to "Window / Open Layout Template…" and pick from the "Presets" at the bottom of the Layout dialog. Zoom in in one of the windows to where you're working, then hit the numeric Star (*) key. All the other windows will zoom to that point in their current view setting. A better option is to use "…/Zoom / Uniform for all views". This keeps all windows at the same zoom level, until turned off by selecting it again. You can make any window full screen, then "Ctrl+Tab" between the different windows/views at that current zoom level.

See Working with Multiple Windows and its sub-sections.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* December 09, 2018, 01:04:19 PM
What I've gotten into a habit of doing Icemoore, when I'm working on a small area or Object in a large Drawing (such as working on one joist-hanger placement in a whole-house Drawing), is:
Select the Object just before changing my View, change my View, then Zoom Selection. Only one extra Command... (I think Alt+Backspace is the default Keyboard Shortcut; but I just have it on my customized Local Menu)

If I need to really pinpoint my view and I anticipate working there for a while, I might place a 3D Point Object temporarily, and use that for the above procedure.

I've also gotten into the habit of using Dynamic Examine rather than the Standard Views, to alleviate the Zoom Extents aspect of the Standard Views.
And thirdly-- Once I have the View as desired, if I think I'll be using it again repeatedly, I might make a Named View and keep the View Palette open to quickly get back to it when needed.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 09, 2018, 08:34:49 PM
I use dynamic examine.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

December 16, 2018, 02:46:18 AM
When changing the views, the zoom moves out to encompass a larger area and the camera auto centers away from my selection. This requires me to zoom back in on the selection every time I change the view to continue working the object.

Is it feasible to create a series of Views that include both the larger area and the 'selected' area?  If so, you can switch between views with a single click. Or am I missing something?

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* December 17, 2018, 11:24:56 AM
Thank you all for your useful comments.  I haven't experimented with custom views, except for populating  a paper space for printing. But I will, as it is obviously what I need.  I did discover the alt-backspace shortcut from someone's post.  Interestingly, the description of this shortcut on the help tab does not make one understand what it does.