TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Copy/paste XYZ coords of selected object
Read 655 times
* November 29, 2018, 03:14:32 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, and haven't figured it out but,
I would love to be able to:

1. Copy/paste all the XYZ coords of the selected object's reference point at the same time with a keyboard shortcut (no mouse/no inspector bar).
2. Copy/paste individual XYZ coords of the selected object's reference point at the same time with a keyboard shortcut (no mouse/ no inspector bar).

I want to be able to do this sequence:
1. Mouse click an entity to select it.
2. Keyboard shortcut to Copy desired XYZ coord(s) of entity's reference point.
3. Mouse click another entity to select it.
4. Keyboard shortcut to Paste desired XYZ coord(s) to entity's reference point.

This maybe could be achieved by having a individual X,Y, Z coord memory spots in the copy/paste clipboard as well as a memory spot for a complete XYZ point.  This was you can select an object and copy/paste any or all coords with minimal effort.

Thanks!

Cameron Miller
TurboCAD 2018PP, 2016PP, V20PP
Windows 7 pro

* November 29, 2018, 07:44:30 PM
You can do that to move physical objects, which appears to be what you're wanting rather than the coordinates themselves.  To paste something to a single object's reference point, pick it up, hover it near your receiving object and snap E, the centre of extents, ie the centre of extents of an object's bounding box, which is the default position for an object's reference point.   

November 30, 2018, 03:56:30 PM
Of course, if you have moved the Reference Point of the object at step 4, snapping with 'E' is not the one to use.

TurboCAD does not have a Snap to Reference Point (maybe it should), but if you have changed the Reference Point, then you have to remember how you did it so that you can use the same method.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* December 03, 2018, 12:52:56 PM
Thanks for the response.

I know all about snapping things all over the place, which I do all the time.  What l would like to do is minimize mouse movements.  I constantly use keyboard shortcuts and am trying to maximize my workflow.  I do architecture layouts and often am moving things around to fit/cleanup layouts after most of the original drawing has been done.

I find that I often want to edit one coord (xyz) multiple times to align things.  Instead of using Align tools, or snapping (often times on a large layout which requires too much mouse zooming and scrolling, I want to do one keyboard shortcut to grab coords and apply it to another object.  Often objects can be on opposite sides of a given page so going back and forth is a pain.  Currently I tab to the inspector bar to copy a Coord, then switch object, then Tab again to the inspector bar to paste the coord.  This requires too many Tabs and using the mouse is just as tedious.

The program can do what I want, but I would like to do it faster/easier.

Thanks for the comments.

Cameron Miller
TurboCAD 2018PP, 2016PP, V20PP
Windows 7 pro

* December 03, 2018, 08:29:32 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, and haven't figured it out but,
I would love to be able to:

1. Copy/paste all the XYZ coords of the selected object's reference point at the same time with a keyboard shortcut (no mouse/no inspector bar).
2. Copy/paste individual XYZ coords of the selected object's reference point at the same time with a keyboard shortcut (no mouse/ no inspector bar).

I want to be able to do this sequence:
1. Mouse click an entity to select it.
2. Keyboard shortcut to Copy desired XYZ coord(s) of entity's reference point.
3. Mouse click another entity to select it.
4. Keyboard shortcut to Paste desired XYZ coord(s) to entity's reference point.

This maybe could be achieved by having a individual X,Y, Z coord memory spots in the copy/paste clipboard as well as a memory spot for a complete XYZ point.  This was you can select an object and copy/paste any or all coords with minimal effort.

Thanks!

Have you tried working with "Set UCS by selector" in the local menu.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* December 06, 2018, 11:08:18 AM
Have you tried working with "Set UCS by selector" in the local menu.

Agree with Dean,

Two operations Set UCS by Selector + Set Selector by UCS  solve your problem.
(provided that you need to move the object, not its reference point)

in principle, these two operations were conceived as the ability to access a virtual object - 'reference point'

Vlad
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:17:39 AM by Vlad Veselov »