TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

3D polyline
Read 533 times
* November 29, 2018, 01:51:13 PM
Normally I draw architectural drawings in 2d so am not practised in 3D. However, I am now drawing a chair and having trouble with the base which is made from 30mm diam tube. As shows on the attached the linear parts of the base are not joined to the semicircular part so there is always a join showing in Hidden line. The linear parts are made with a sweep on  a 3D polyline and the semicircle a sweep on a 2D line. There does not appear to be a 3D polyline which includes a semicircle. They are all solid objects but the Boolian operation of Add does not recognise the semicircle so will not join. Can anyone advise please?

* November 29, 2018, 02:31:23 PM
Here's one way. (This is a HL render with "Suppress hidden tangency lines" enabled.)

Henry H

* November 29, 2018, 08:33:04 PM
I did it similar to Henry, but kept all the 2D stuff on the World WorkPlane. In the bottom pic, I used the Join Polyline tool with the "2D/3D" option activated to join the 3D polyline segments with the 2D line/arc segments, then used the Fillet3D tool to add curves to the legs.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* November 30, 2018, 03:09:15 AM
Thank you. I had missed the 2d/3D setting for the 3D polyline and now it sweeps as one object. However with the hidden line and "Suppress hidden tangency lines" enabled I get lines all round the semi-circle as below which as I want to use it un-rendered as a hidden line drawing is a problem.

* November 30, 2018, 09:15:28 AM
I omitted to say that the legs are not at 90 Deg to the base but offset by 40mm as side elevation below. |I swept in one action from the top of the leg at one side to the other and because of the splay, started the sweep with elipse. However when it arrives at the other side the 30mm tube is cut at right angles to itself so doesn't connect properly to the chair seat (just shows on the snip above). I've tried splice and others but can't see how to end it horizontally. Thank you for all your work, Sheila

* November 30, 2018, 12:23:30 PM
When I use "Join Polyline" to create a 3D Polyline, any Arcs are converted to Line segments. I believe this is 'as designed'. If I just join the 2D items, the arcs aren't affected. I'll use the "Use Compound Path" option in the Sweep tool to turn the 2D & 3D polylines into one path. You could move the 3D Polyline segment reference point to the bottom end, then rotate it the necessary amount before doing the Sweep..

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* November 30, 2018, 02:20:03 PM
I omitted to say that the legs are not at 90 Deg to the base but offset by 40mm as side elevation below. |I swept in one action from the top of the leg at one side to the other and because of the splay, started the sweep with elipse. However when it arrives at the other side the 30mm tube is cut at right angles to itself so doesn't connect properly to the chair seat (just shows on the snip above). I've tried splice and others but can't see how to end it horizontally. Thank you for all your work, Sheila

Assuming that you want a circular cross section, I'd suggest that you use a circular profile and place its center at one end of one of the leg paths, making it normal to that path. After sweeping, use Quick Pull to lengthen the legs a little, then 3D-Slice them to fit the seat.

Henry H

* December 02, 2018, 08:05:50 AM
As on John's drawing I can only get the horizontal cut on the top on the side I start with the elipse and then the tube extrudes with the elipse radii, not the tubular circle. If I start with a circle,  I can't  get any of the 3d tools like splice to work on the swept tube.  The slice tool selects the tube but doesn't see anything I cross the tube with as a surface to cut the slice with.  I just get operation unsuccessful. Sheila

* December 02, 2018, 09:37:03 AM
As on John's drawing I can only get the horizontal cut on the top on the side I start with the elipse and then the tube extrudes with the elipse radii, not the tubular circle. If I start with a circle,  I can't  get any of the 3d tools like splice to work on the swept tube.  The slice tool selects the tube but doesn't see anything I cross the tube with as a surface to cut the slice with.  I just get operation unsuccessful. Sheila

Post your .tcw, Sheila, and someone here will fix it for you.

Henry H

* December 03, 2018, 01:04:22 PM
OK, it just has minor errors as shown above, but I am going to use it for a 3D Printer Model, so errors will show! Thanks, Sheila

* December 03, 2018, 03:10:38 PM
I think the ellipses that you're seeing is kind of an illusion. It's where the tilted leg meets the bottom leg. When viewed from a Plan view, it looks like an ellipse, but is actually round.

If you give the path a curve, then it looks more 'round' in Plan.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* December 03, 2018, 03:39:34 PM
OK, it just has minor errors as shown above, but I am going to use it for a 3D Printer Model, so errors will show! Thanks, Sheila

In the attached drawing, I made the legs just a tad too long so you can go to a Side view and 3D Slice to fit the seat.

Henry H

* December 04, 2018, 12:52:06 AM
I have tried the 3D slice but can't get it to work on the swept leg. I have tried drawing a cutting plane, but am not sure how to set this up, and I have tried putting the seat on below the top of the legs and using as the slice plane, but neither works. Somtimes the entity will not select and sometimes I get the error message that the plane does not intersect the selected entity. I don't know if its and issue of the workplane or what it is . I have never had much success with the 3D Boolean operations and I can't find a video that describes this sort of situation. I have had a go at slicing on your drawing and can't get it to work. Thanks, Sheila

December 04, 2018, 02:22:17 AM
I have tried the 3D slice but can't get it to work on the swept leg...

Have you set Plane by Active View first?

There are many places to find it (especially depending on your UI configuration), but one place it is always visible is when you right-click in a blank area of the Model Workspace (Paper spaces have only one viewpoint orientation).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* December 04, 2018, 09:38:20 AM
I have tried the 3D slice but can't get it to work on the swept leg. I have tried drawing a cutting plane, but am not sure how to set this up, and I have tried putting the seat on below the top of the legs and using as the slice plane, but neither works. Somtimes the entity will not select and sometimes I get the error message that the plane does not intersect the selected entity. I don't know if its and issue of the workplane or what it is . I have never had much success with the 3D Boolean operations and I can't find a video that describes this sort of situation. I have had a go at slicing on your drawing and can't get it to work. Thanks, Sheila

Try this, Sheila: In my drawing make Layer "Original" visible (it contains stuff copy-and-pasted from your drawing). Then go to Workplane by Entity and select the small red circle as that entity. Activate 3D-Slice, select the "Slice by Workplane" option, and click on the coral-colored object. This operation will slice the tips of the three legs, and you can then delete those tips.

Henry H

* December 05, 2018, 01:37:12 AM
Thank you Henry. I was missing the local menu options, now it works. Sheila