TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Graphics or Text on Curved Surface TC V21 64bit
Read 387 times
* November 28, 2018, 07:25:32 AM
Does anyone know how or if you can put 2D text or lets say you draw a  colored graphic picture in 2D on a curved, spherical surface or some weird curvy surface?

* November 28, 2018, 07:36:49 AM
the process can differ with the object shape.  For starters you could have a look at Don's tips,  Number 2 and Number 23 on this page.   There is also UV wrapping in TC pro versions.

For just a bit of text, some users will convert the text to 3D, for example giving ait a thickness of 0.1mm.  then use bending, or other process to put the text onto the surface of an object. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:46:47 AM by Andy H »

* November 28, 2018, 09:11:56 AM
Does anyone know how or if you can put 2D text or lets say you draw a  colored graphic picture in 2D on a curved, spherical surface or some weird curvy surface?

"Spherical" and "Cylindrical" Wrapping modes allow you to map a 2D image onto a sphere or cylinder accurately, or onto an approximately spherical or cylindrical object with some distortion. If you only need to cover a relatively small part of the object with the image, then perhaps "Arbitrary plane" Wrapping mode (or Spherical or Cylindrical) can do a satisfactory job.

If you'd care to post a .tcw file of the 3D object plus a .jpg of the image to be wrapped, someone here will probably give it a try.

Henry H

* November 30, 2018, 08:09:17 AM
I will give these a try and see if I can learn them. Sometimes I have curved surfaces I am making a decal for and I have to create a paper print and see if its size is correct as some are small in tight areas and it takes going back and forth changing the sizing. So if I could get the flat size correct on the curved surface in TC  it saves reducing sizes until they fit. Thank you for the help! If I run into problems I will post a tcw  file.

* November 30, 2018, 02:04:24 PM
If you create a material using "Wrapped image" or "Wrapped filtered image" Pattern, and the appropriate Wrapping mode, the size of your source image has nothing whatever to do with how it fits the 3D object. That is controlled only by the various parameters in the material's Wrapping dialog.

Your invitation remains open to post a .tcw file containing the 3D object, plus a .jpg or .bmp version of the source image.

Henry H

* January 08, 2019, 09:44:54 AM
I am enclosing a file with graphics to be placed on a curved surface to see how it is done. This is my worst case with a graphic on each side when you turn on the decal layer it shows up on the side view. That's really as far as I can go because I do not know how to place my graphics on the curved surface hope this helps. And I can get help on how to get the graphics on the surface. Hope the file came in ok.
TO

* January 09, 2019, 06:37:22 PM
I am enclosing a file with graphics to be placed on a curved surface to see how it is done. This is my worst case with a graphic on each side when you turn on the decal layer it shows up on the side view. That's really as far as I can go because I do not know how to place my graphics on the curved surface hope this helps. And I can get help on how to get the graphics on the surface. Hope the file came in ok.
TO

The file did come in OK. I'm working on it...

There are many possible approaches to this problem, which is not trivial because of the several colors included in the logo. Attached screenshot shows the logo as an applique, 0.001" thick, applied to the side of the main object.

Henry H

* January 11, 2019, 02:25:33 PM
In this version the logo is flush with the surface of the object, and what we see here is a single ACIS Solid...

Henry H

* January 14, 2019, 08:17:06 AM
I sent in just where I stop because I do not know where to go from there to create or put it on the surface. It is just as I do it. The file I sent was mirrored and I think at that time I could not do a copy in place and keep original soli,d older version of TC. I see you did get it on the curved surface but I do not know the steps and if my graphics have to be changed somehow.