TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

How to align surface to surface - watch video!
Read 505 times
* November 28, 2018, 06:19:10 AM
Gents,

I have one typical situation - Move around objects and adjust.
Here in this situation I can't get it done. I normally move and measure distance manual. Several operations.
But I assume it must be better way ? I can almost get to my goal but fail in the very end. I will try explain.

I want to just grab the blue arrow and pull down and snap to surface some place.
This work - But its place fail according the where I grab the arrow.

Best regards
NeverStop!

* November 28, 2018, 06:58:58 AM
After modifying the Reference Point, instead of moving with the blue arrow, pick it up by the Reference Point. Yes, you will be moving in all directions, but use the Center snap (C) on the top of that large opening on the part below to relocate the top of your selection to the top of that part.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* November 28, 2018, 07:16:54 AM
Yes I know this is one way often working.
In this case I get:
The requested operation cannot be completed.
A Snap mode is active with no snap points within the snap aperture.
Re-try the operation with snap disabled

Are you able to use "C" ?

After modifying the Reference Point, instead of moving with the blue arrow, pick it up by the Reference Point. Yes, you will be moving in all directions, but use the Center snap (C) on the top of that large opening on the part below to relocate the top of your selection to the top of that part.

* November 28, 2018, 07:24:04 AM
What kind of profile did you use to create that large hole; arcs or a segmented polyline? If a segmented polyline, TurboCAD won't find anything 'circular' in the solid part for the Center snap to work with; just facets.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* November 28, 2018, 07:58:43 AM
This is why I want a simple solution as I try to do in the video.
If its not possible I want to request in 2019.

Also it's very hard to know what TC will accept snap or not snap to.
Should it matter ? This is a joined polyline should it been other ?

I guess this is experience..

Thanks for helping :-)

What kind of profile did you use to create that large hole; arcs or a segmented polyline? If a segmented polyline, TurboCAD won't find anything 'circular' in the solid part for the Center snap to work with; just facets.

* November 28, 2018, 09:59:49 AM
Sometimes I create a Triple-point Circle by snapping to existing vertices and then snap to its center.

Henry H

* November 28, 2018, 12:10:23 PM
If it not a circle ? And it's still a workaround ?
Give it a try ?  :)

My point is, TC makes something easy--- almost :-)
Only me wanna see it more easy ?  :o

Sometimes I create a Triple-point Circle by snapping to existing vertices and then snap to its center.

Henry H

* November 28, 2018, 12:20:34 PM
If it not a circle ? And it's still a workaround ?
Give it a try ?  :)

My point is, TC makes something easy--- almost :-)
Only me wanna see it more easy ?  :o

Henry H
Yes, it's a workaround, but a workaround wouldn't be necessary if the original Polyline hadn't been damaged.

Triple-point Circle works fine for me in your drawing. Modified drawing is attached.

Henry H
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:22:37 PM by Henry Hubich »

* November 28, 2018, 12:39:44 PM
Yes, it's a workaround, but a workaround wouldn't be necessary if the original Polyline hadn't been damaged.
Sure- I just wish I did know the polyline had been damaged. This is ofcourse experience.
And lets us say if this not was a circle ? How will you do ?

Triple-point Circle works fine for me in your drawing. Modified drawing is attached.
I get up I have no filter to open the drawing.

Henry H
[/quote]

November 28, 2018, 01:14:12 PM
Sure- I just wish I did know the polyline had been damaged. This is ofcourse experience.

Henry H

Which version of TurboCAD are you using?

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

* November 28, 2018, 01:29:47 PM
2017 Platinum
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:38:17 PM by NeverStop »

* November 28, 2018, 02:09:18 PM

Henry H
[/quote]

If it were not a circle or circular arc, where would you want to snap?

Here's the modified drawing in v2017 format...

Henry H

* November 28, 2018, 05:14:28 PM
As variant see video.

I want to just grab the blue arrow and pull down and snap to surface some place.
This work - But its place fail according the where I grab the arrow.
Just in case 'blue arrow' is not precision handle. (see picture).
Precision handles: reference point and 3 rotation handles.

Vlad

* November 29, 2018, 04:30:01 AM

Henry H

Thanks Henry for your version 2017. Yes I was able to draw circle in this one, did you do any changes ?
Vlad's post above explain a lot and it's works good.

NeverStop
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 05:33:41 AM by NeverStop »

* November 29, 2018, 05:12:29 AM
As variant see video.

Thanks Vlad, your video was an excellent instruction. However I was struggling. But earlier input here in the user forum
got me to think about the coordinate system. So I changed little and was able to get it done. I even now learned the use of
facet changed the 0 point. So I was able to directly punch in -0,1" and place gear assembly directly.
I recorded a video for this showing the coordinate for other users.
Video: bestoptionsofar

I also played around with the blue axis and could see I could click on and use inspecotbar here as well.. cool.
So it's a kind of precision tool as well.
Video: Locked to blue axis

But what I would like to see is enhancement of this option (conceptual axis ??).
I want this to work isolated what ever coordinate system set.
The program is so close to this already. Only change needed it to tell TC NOT to change reference point with the click on the axis.
I think this will enhance the program and speed drawing for all en especially the novice users.
The inspectobar still could be open for the value relative to already set plan.
See video called: What I wish.   

Best regards
NeverStop
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:16:06 AM by NeverStop »

* November 29, 2018, 09:17:21 AM

Henry H

Thanks Henry for your version 2017. Yes I was able to draw circle in this one, did you do any changes ?

NeverStop

I didn't change anything in your drawing except to delete the circle you had drawn.

Henry H

* December 04, 2018, 12:44:10 PM

Henry H

NeverStop

I didn't change anything in your drawing except to delete the circle you had drawn.

Henry H

Ok, just my fingertrouble :-)

* December 06, 2018, 10:26:20 AM
NeverStop

Variant 2 see attached video.

But what I would like to see is enhancement of this option (conceptual axis ??).
I want this to work isolated what ever coordinate system set.
Well, as far as I understand, you are not interested in either the solution of the problem or the way of solving.
I think, you are interested in the aesthetic aspects of the solution. This is quite rare in our pragmatic time.  :)

Thanks, you reminded me of the romantic period in the TC history. It was believed that hand manipulation (via selector 3D) would win the Command Line.
We had popular tasks such as: assemblet an orange (sphere) from scattered slices, using a minimum number of clicks.

Only change needed it to tell TC NOT to change reference point with the click on the axis.
You can independently inform the TurboCAD of your wishes. :)
There are all possibilities for this: one can reprogram the selector's profile for their tasks.
I added another handle ('precision, move by Z only') to the standard profile (see attached TCW file). In a similar way, you can add manipulators for the x and y axes.

Now I think that the number of clicks (~2) is minimal, and  it is very aesthetic :)

Vlad

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:12:55 PM by Vlad Veselov »

* December 07, 2018, 07:16:09 AM

Well, as far as I understand, you are not interested in either the solution of the problem or the way of solving.
I think, you are interested in the aesthetic aspects of the solution. This is quite rare in our pragmatic time.  :)

Hmm - I was interesting in get to my target and I did with the solution you provided. But in same - yes correct.
A better solution and more aesthetic. I see all drawing as a flow. And I am happy you have followed my request
closely. This could properly also be added to quick pull or similar as well... Better flow :-)

Thanks, you reminded me of the romantic period in the TC history. It was believed that hand manipulation (via selector 3D) would win the Command Line.
  You are welcome :-)

You can independently inform the TurboCAD of your wishes. :)
There are all possibilities for this: one can reprogram the selector's profile for their tasks.
I added another handle ('precision, move by Z only') to the standard profile (see attached TCW file). In a similar way, you can add manipulators for the x and y axes.

Now I think that the number of clicks (~2) is minimal, and  it is very aesthetic :)

I like this very much and look forward to try.. But I assume file is saved to 2018.
May anyone be kind save it down to 2017 ?

It's look very promising and aesthetic on the video and pictures  ;)
Will this be a part for 2019 version ?

How do other users here like this ?

Thanks to all here listening to me suggest and complains.... I getting better and better TC.

NeverStop

* December 07, 2018, 08:26:08 AM
May anyone be kind save it down to 2017 ?

Attached.

Vlad

* December 07, 2018, 08:35:36 AM
Will this be a part for 2019 version ?
I'm a little confused. This is TC 2015 feature. Any user can make themselves a set of profiles for Conceptual Selector.
Examples of profiles are in the directory TCW2017\GCtrlProfiles

Demo video 'how it works' attached.

Vlad

* December 08, 2018, 06:56:22 PM

I'm a little confused. This is TC 2015 feature. Any user can make themselves a set of profiles for Conceptual Selector.
Examples of profiles are in the directory TCW2017\GCtrlProfiles

Demo video 'how it works' attached.

Vlad

Nice share! Its the little things like this only very experienced user know that I love coming across.  :)

Pro Platinum 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

* December 13, 2018, 04:20:45 PM
Nice share! Its the little things like this only very experienced user know that I love coming across.  :)
More tutorial videos (TC 2015). Too big (~9Mb) for forum, so links:
How to make  profile Grid3x3
http://cadexp.com/TurboCAD/Forum/Selector/CreatingNewControl_FlatGrid3x3.mp4

Vlad
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:49:53 AM by Vlad Veselov »

* December 13, 2018, 04:41:48 PM
I also like the skin
But should admit i used different pictures back then ;) :))

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* December 14, 2018, 03:51:35 AM
But should admit i used different pictures back then ;) :))
Thanks,

I agree with you, it will need to be redone  :)

Vlad
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:53:16 AM by Vlad Veselov »