TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

S/S Socket weld pipework.
Read 270 times
November 27, 2018, 01:53:48 PM
Just looking through some of my engineering stuff to kick start my pipework and engineering prints next year. Lots of adjustments to do before then but started looking for some of my old settings to set the lighting.

* November 27, 2018, 08:16:45 PM
Very nice! I actually believe there was a thread on this forum not to long ago asking about how to achieve a weld bead like pattern on pipe. Care to explain how you did? It looks great!

EDIT:
This is thread I speak of:
http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,23148.0.html
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:18:26 PM by Kevin Taylor »

Pro Platinum 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

November 28, 2018, 05:17:13 PM
It is done in Turbocad and an external program for the weld pattern,basically start of by creating your weld profile as a revolved profile and then go to a plan view of it and save the image so it just encompasses the extents of the outside diameter of the weld making sure to set the material to a constant black material on a white background. Open the image in an image editor and select the black area which will be the black annulus ring shape in the image and paint in your profile, another method is to create a brush made up of repeating polished spheres and then create a circle in the center of the annulus area and make the brush follow the path of the circle creating a circle of overlapping polished spheres and then save as a bitmap. The final part is to wrap the image onto the fillet weld in Turbocad using arbitrary plane wrapping so  the image fits the outside diameter of the fillet weld in a plan view of the revolved weld. There is a slight downside to this which means you have to create a separate image for every different weld size.Hope this helps, I am busy at present but will keep an eye on the thread for the next few days to see how you go on.

November 28, 2018, 05:27:58 PM
You could also use a circular pattern of overlapping polished spheres in turbocad matching the ID and the OD of the fillet weld in a plan view and save that image already fully rendered to use as an image so long as you crop the image to the extents of the fillet weld before using the image.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:48:51 PM by Orion20036 »

* November 29, 2018, 05:36:22 AM
Nice, neat bit of pipework Michael.  Rendering looks really good.

November 29, 2018, 12:16:56 PM
Here is another view on the pipework.

December 14, 2018, 10:47:06 AM
Very nice!  8)

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 64 bit. TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 32 bit CADCAM.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
TurboCAD LTE/DoubleCAD Pro V7.
TurboCAD Deluxe V21 64 bit.
VISI 21 CADCAM
Christchurch, Middle Earth.