TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Polyline Simple Extrude Mess
Read 1134 times
* November 25, 2018, 03:03:31 AM
Gents,

I think I have messed up some stuff.. I have made an shape I want to extrude.
But cant get it to work. I have tried clean up double lines etc. Joined/chained/exploded etc.

Most of my day yesterday went to this issue... So I asking for advice and help to get further :-)
Could please please anyone show me what I am doing wrong?

Best regards
NeverStop!

* November 25, 2018, 03:34:54 AM
There is Open and overlapping in the position marked in Overlap1.

Do NOT just try the close command, as the overlap will produce errors.  manually alter the node (s), and snap into position,.  I zoomed right in, and in edit mode I moved the left most node back to snap onto the end of the larger arc.   then right clicked and used 'Close'.

Note.  Normally I would not advise using  'close' on double nodes, but in this case it worked ok in 2017 pro without producing a double node error.    Once one clicks close on double nodes I usually grab the node and move it slightly, then click escape key, to ensure its converted to single before continuing. (double nodes (one node sitting on top of another) can be bad)   

### EDIT ###  Just been rechecking the file, and using the method above will produce an alignment difference compared with the opposite end of the large arc, this error is 0.0027".  if this is critical you will need to alter the nodes as required. to get both ends of the larger arc to match exactly.  ### End Edit ###
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:59:52 AM by Andy H »

* November 25, 2018, 04:15:56 AM
Thanks Andy, I see it now :-) And I am actually able to move and snap on my current drawing.

But in the version I uploaded ?

1. Did you explode first ?
2. Edit mode is it when you click item and it get the nodes ?
3. If you just snap this in place- the shapes moves position ?
4. Is it possible to extend the arc's and trim ?
5. Could you take a screenshot of the "close" command ?

You said:  then click escape key, to ensure its converted to single before continuing.

I just now see you have edit and outlined the move section.

I tossing all this question for better learning.. Thanks!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 04:38:44 AM by NeverStop »

* November 25, 2018, 05:13:48 AM
Andy, new approach ?

I wounder about the accuracy in not good enough in TC in this case ?
So I try new approach. I split the shape and want to mirror copy.

However I am not even able to join the multi-color line now ?

Please see new attachments

* November 25, 2018, 05:28:12 AM
Feel free to ask anything.  If I can't answer someone else may be able to.

1.  Explode.  No.  I didn't explode, I just edited the node.

2.  Edit mode.  Yes.  it may be just my terminology, but I class edit mode as seeing all the individual nodes one at each vertex of the shape + others at the mid point of arcs.

3.  Position.  Depends.  Yes, you do have to be a little careful some times when moving nodes especially on arcs,  In the  the #Edit # I did to my post above,  in your drawing just snapping will produce a slight 0.0027" difference, compared with he opposite side. 

Sometimes it would be necessary to set some thing up to ensure snapping to an accurate point (s),  for example, snap a cross to the opposite node vertex.  mirror copy the cross using the centre of the large arc (C seke), as the first mirror point, and holding down shift key to create a horizontal mirror line.  Then adjusting the node (s) to vertex snap to the new cross. (see mirror1 attached). 

There are other ways, for example, in some cases, one can select each end node, and use intersect (I) seke to snap both ends accurately. The actual method used will differ depending on the situation,  if the two ends were very close but didn't actually overlap, then intersect snap won't work. 

4.  Trim.  Not in this case.  Trimming uses a second line / arc etc. as the 'trim line'.  In your case,  because the inner shape is essentially one polyline, there is not a second line to trim to.  In some cases, yes, you could set up a line to be used as a trim line.  for example, in your drawing one could snap a vertical line to the opposite end of the large arc,  and trim both overlapping ends to this line.  However when trying that on your drawing it left a tiny gap where the two arcs don't quite meet.

5.  Attached

As for escape.  for just checking nodes,  sometimes I will select a node to grab hold of it, and move it to see if it is one node, or two on top of each other.  When I move a node just for testing, like in this case, pressing escape will release the node back to where it was, without physically moving it.  An alternative would be to move the node then use Undo, to put the node back to where it was,  but that's more work.     

Andy

### Edit ### Just seen your new drawing, will look at that now. ### End Edit ###

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 05:29:45 AM by Andy H »

* November 25, 2018, 05:47:24 AM

Turn ON layer '0'.   TC does not like working with layer '0' turned off.  BUT your arcs have been exploded into polylines, don't use these or they will extrude as lots of flat facets.  (Less important if one uses TC deluxe) 

* November 25, 2018, 05:59:07 AM
WOW!  This helped... One of TC run away issues..
Thanks!

But I don't get nodes in edit mode!
As well If I set out a polyline with i.e. three segments. I need to join the segments after to make poly line.

Roger

Turn ON layer '0'.   TC does not like working with layer '0' turned off.  BUT your arcs have been exploded into polylines, don't use these or they will extrude as lots of flat facets.  (Less important if one uses TC deluxe)

* November 25, 2018, 06:17:27 AM
Andy..

Most likely its was the switched off layer 0 made my biggest issues.
However this exercise was very useful.. and yepp i got to the target and can carry on further in the design.

Seems like I have some nodes issues!

Thanks for all your time and help Andy!

* November 25, 2018, 06:47:50 AM
Your getting there. 

Attached are a few places for the Edit tool,  your image above suggests you used the select tool,  which doesn't show Nodes.

* November 25, 2018, 07:33:32 AM
Just as an extra note.  The attached file is your original one, I edited the end nodes, and snapped to the mirrored crosses, to ensure the lower half correct with respect to the upper half.

I changed the ACIS setting (options menu - drawing setup ACIS) to Facet quality 90 (I moved the slider to the right).   The bottom one shows how good it is leaving things as arcs,  the top one shows how bad things can look when using exploded arcs (lots of facet lines), even though they are all joined as a single polyline.  Select the edit tool (as shown above), and click the inner polylines, you should see the large difference in the amount of nodes between the two polylines. the extrudes are just to show the difference in smoothness on the inside of the objects.   

Note.  I copied / pasted just the relevant objects into a new drawing to cut down the file size.

* November 26, 2018, 05:12:01 AM
Thanks.. I found the edit tool now and yes I get the nodes :-)
Works good. Seems like the TC tells me what I can change.

And when I not able the program just crashes. Not sure about its just my setup or also others.

Yes the change of facet quality I have done before actually. I need a proper template and setup.

NeverStop

Your getting there. 

Attached are a few places for the Edit tool,  your image above suggests you used the select tool,  which doesn't show Nodes.

* November 26, 2018, 06:02:33 AM
  The bottom one shows how good it is leaving things as arcs, 

I used circles and trimmed. But struggled a lot since accuracy was not good I think ?
Also I had mirror circles to get them to allow to be cut objects. Very strange ?

Did you draw all with arcs ?

May you tip me where to find the crosses ? I have lost mine  ::)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:13:32 AM by NeverStop »

* November 26, 2018, 12:48:25 PM
HI. sorry for delay replying, I'm guessing you found the crosses (point tool - Insert or Modify menu's)) by now.

I hadn't created any video's in a while so thought I'd draw your shape as a video.  There are a few ways to do it, I just recorded one way.

It's more for newer users though.  Arcs video

* December 02, 2018, 08:13:03 AM
HI. sorry for delay replying, I'm guessing you found the crosses (point tool - Insert or Modify menu's)) by now.

I hadn't created any video's in a while so thought I'd draw your shape as a video.  There are a few ways to do it, I just recorded one way.

It's more for newer users though.  Arcs video

Hi again Andy, and sorry for the late followup.. I was pretty busy in all my other finger trouble :-)

Your video and help have been priceless.. I used parts to reach my goal a simple way.
I wanted to used the circle options, but was struggling.

I used mirror -  But only circle mirrored was detected by trim tool. But both if I mirror again. But then trouble with join poly.
I checked dimension all over to check symmetry. All good. So seems like very sensitive.
So I ended up set out two circles and it works very good.

I made an video and I have uploading the TC2017 file ready to do same for the ones who wanna try it or play with other options.

Again to you Andy and all other in this community.. Thanks for the support.

NeverStop

Right Now I have problem upload the video .mp4 file 14mb .. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:17:48 AM by NeverStop »

* December 02, 2018, 08:36:38 AM
re: …Right Now I have problem upload the video .mp4 file 14mb .. Any ideas?

If you have something like Dropbox, you could put you MP4 file there, then post a link to that file.

A better option would be to upload it to YouTube and post a link to that. I think YouTube still has free accounts.

I believe the Forum is still restricted to a 4MB file size.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:38:37 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* December 02, 2018, 09:04:57 AM

If you have something like Dropbox, you could put you MP4 file there, then post a link to that file.

A better option would be to upload it to YouTube and post a link to that. I think YouTube still has free accounts.

Yes I figured out in other post.. But in the file option this is not marked.. I made a nice video :-(
I wanted to some permanent. I will consider an youtube or maybe Bittube.. But silly the forum is so restricted.

I will look into it tomorrow... stay tuned!

NeverStop

* December 04, 2018, 12:51:21 PM

Yes I figured out in other post.. But in the file option this is not marked.. I made a nice video :-(
I wanted to some permanent. I will consider an youtube or maybe Bittube.. But silly the forum is so restricted.

I will look into it tomorrow... stay tuned!

NeverStop

Gents, this is properly little off topic.

But in days I have tried to work with bit.tube for alternative to youtube.
However it seems like all play very bad.
Here is the file:
https://bit.tube/play?hash=QmTNjxbePdYpnxffsFivSeu56E5h14RZzXaXtbD8CTuVny&channel=195726
Seems like its plays better after 18s approx.

I have been confused since the file also plays blurry in premier pro ?

Could anyone confirm the content is blurry ? If I will create an youtube account.

NeverStop

December 04, 2018, 02:07:45 PM
Hi,

yes, I can confirm that the first section is blurry.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

* December 04, 2018, 02:16:58 PM

But in days I have tried to work with bit.tube for alternative to youtube.
Could anyone confirm the content is blurry ? If I will create an youtube account.

I Clicked the link.  Waited 10 minutes and video still had not started on my computer, so I gave up.

* December 04, 2018, 02:31:46 PM
Thanks Tim and Andy.

I properly waisted time :-(
Better go to the youtube...

NeverStop

* December 04, 2018, 03:15:47 PM
The link did work ok here, but i agree, Youtube seems better and there you can load up to a 11 hour long video if you want.
I think that is max, guess it's enough :)

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* December 05, 2018, 03:46:34 AM
The link did work ok here, but i agree, Youtube seems better and there you can load up to a 11 hour long video if you want.
I think that is max, guess it's enough :)

Torfinn

I have started my 11hr problem, I hope for many good solutions  ;D ;D

* December 05, 2018, 09:40:41 AM
Gents,

My amazing video is online!
Get some popcorn and enjoy  ;D

https://youtu.be/iXv51A_uUxg

NeverStop

* December 06, 2018, 02:12:22 PM
My amazing video is online!
Get some popcorn and enjoy  ;D
https://youtu.be/iXv51A_uUxg