TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Off Topic - Worm Gear
Read 524 times
November 26, 2018, 06:13:53 PM
I was wondering if one of you understands worm gears and could help me figure out the gear ratio for the two illustrated gears. I am thinking about a new tutorial and it requires a worm gear and I just can't grasp this.

Ideally I want a worm gear where if I turn the worm 1 full turn it moves the round gear 10 degrees out of 360. Or I just want something that will mesh as one would expect. I am trying to utilize a worm gear that can be found on McMaster-Carr for ease and below is what I have worked out so far but only as to being able to mesh, which I see says, For gears and worms to mesh correctly, they must have the same pressure angle and pitch.

I am just doing some initial setup using SolidWorks as this has mates to allow me to see this functioning and thus letting me know I have it as required. Then I will repeat in TurboCAD having figured out the position and having something intelligent to say during the tutorial.

If you can help please use non-engineering speak to explain. :-)

* November 26, 2018, 06:43:05 PM
I was wondering if one of you understands worm gears and could help me figure out the gear ratio for the two illustrated gears. I am thinking about a new tutorial and it requires a worm gear and I just can't grasp this.

Ideally I want a worm gear where if I turn the worm 1 full turn it moves the round gear 10 degrees out of 360. Or I just want something that will mesh as one would expect. I am trying to utilize a worm gear that can be found on McMaster-Carr for ease and below is what I have worked out so far but only as to being able to mesh, which I see says, For gears and worms to mesh correctly, they must have the same pressure angle and pitch.

I am just doing some initial setup using SolidWorks as this has mates to allow me to see this functioning and thus letting me know I have it as required. Then I will repeat in TurboCAD having figured out the position and having something intelligent to say during the tutorial.

If you can help please use non-engineering speak to explain. :-)

Just as with spur gears, Don, the gear ratio is the same as the ratio of the number of teeth. Most worms have just one tooth (which really looks more like a thread). The worm you show does have one tooth and the gear has 30 teeth, so the ratio is 30:1. Therefore the gear will rotate 12 degrees for one revolution of the worm. You'll have to find a 36-tooth gear to get an output rotation of 10 degrees for one revolution of the worm.

...If you intend to draw these in TCad, Don, your work is cut out for you ;-)

Henry H

November 27, 2018, 05:18:25 PM
Thanks for the input Henry. I had hoped to find some existing 3D models but finding a 36 tooth worm gear is proving difficult. I might have to change my strategy.

November 27, 2018, 05:42:44 PM
Thanks for the input Henry. I had hoped to find some existing 3D models but finding a 36 tooth worm gear is proving difficult. I might have to change my strategy.

Spoke too soon, I found a place to acquire what I need.