TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

TC on Mac
Read 532 times
* November 15, 2018, 04:46:30 AM
I use TC 20 pro platinum on a Windows laptop at the moment, but always hanker after a Mac, which was my first computer. Has anyone had experience of using TC on both? If so, what are the differences?
I use TC mainly for 2D furniture design, with some 3D mainly for renders to show clients.
Thanks for looking!

* November 15, 2018, 04:54:21 AM
It is possible in this "parallell thing", but the screensize will give you some work as a Mac dont use the same screen heigth as a pc.
I dont know how to do it as i dont want to even touch a Mac :), but i know there are some settings to change on the Mac someplace

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* November 15, 2018, 09:09:58 AM
Sorry Torfinn, I didn't make myself very clear! What I wanted to know was whether anyone had used TC for Mac on a Mac, as well as TC for Windows on Windows, as I understand the two programs are a bit different. What I am considering is getting rid of my HP laptop and getting a Macbook with TC for Mac.

* November 15, 2018, 09:26:46 AM
Maybe i misunderstand also, can very easy be the case here :)
I can be wrong, but i believe there is one here at the pc forum that also use TC on Mac, so wait a bit and see if he chime in.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* November 15, 2018, 12:15:35 PM
All I can say is to look at the Mac section of the Free Trials page (bottom). Click on the "Learn more" link and then "Download" if you have a Mac available. You may be able to get some answers on the TurboCAD Mac forum.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* November 15, 2018, 01:28:29 PM
I use SharkCAD Pro as a complement to TC PC, it's the same fundamental program as TC Mac, and the UI is the same for Mac and Win.  The interface is 'lighter' than TC PC, probably fewer tools, which isn't to say that it's less powerful, but that you'd (well, me, anyway) be less likely to be setting up custom interface for less-commonly used tools.  It has a snap system that they call 'Logicursor' that I find pretty good, it's perhaps less obtrusive than TC's.  One way that it's very different to TCPC is that it can use surface edges as geometry, so you can put surfaces together and stitch them into solids in ways that TC can't.  In other things like shelling, you get the same results and capability as TCPC, they both use ACIS.   Toolbars are very flexible, they fly out and tear off to stay open in the drawing window fluidly, with a single pass of the mouse, which I find excellent to use on Windows tablets, ironically, because I just use 'em, close 'em, reopen when needed because it's that fluid, although it's right-handed, the toolbars only tear off to the right....  It's got good part history and associations, different to TCPC but similarly useful.  It has a capacity called 'model-to-sheet' which is like a combination of drafting palette and paper space, but it doesn't have paper space; it does its sheet views on a dedicated 2D layer in model space, quick and easy enough, but not as powerful or flexible than TCPC, which is more like AC's.  Rendering is Lightworks, implemented a bit differently to TCPC but similar results.  A new version of PunchCAD's just gone on sale and I assume its features will be migrated to TC Mac, it now has DCM constraints like TCPC, it had them a few versions back but they disappeared, now returned, and in older versions it didn't have all of the geometric constraints that TCPC has, but it did have animation, which PC doesn't.  Some of Shark's features weren't available on Mac, file exchange formats and some ACIS capacity, I don't know if that's still true or relevant to TC Mac's feature set.  The program's also similar to Ashlar Vellum Cobalt, also the same code base.   I can't imagine loving Mac hardware, OS or dedicated programs enough to abandon TCPC or having to VM it.

* November 17, 2018, 04:20:40 AM
Thanks Murray. I don't use more than about half of TC's features, so SharkCAD sounds interesting.
Pete