TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

shadows
Read 195 times
October 29, 2018, 12:37:07 PM
1.   In nature the shadows are crisp the closer they are to the object but grow defused the further distant, i.e. a tree’s shadow near the base vs. the top of a large structure.  Can TurboCAD do that somehow?

2.   Someone mentioned there’s software that processes from a multitude of photos of an object and generates a model "for free" in short time - my case is doing a rider lawnmower.  What is that software called?

* October 29, 2018, 03:35:01 PM
1.  I'll let someone who uses Lightworks answer that.

2.  The one you may be thinking of was 123d Catch from Autodesk.  Unfortunately its no longer available. I think they have moved it into their other programs,  There is one program called Autodesk ReCap. When one looks on the web page it only lists the pro version, but apparently after using the trial, if one doesn't subscribe, it reverts to a limited functionality free version (I've not tried it)

There are other free programs but up to now I haven't had chance to try them.  I have two on my computer, COLMAP and VisualSFM (which seems to be a more popular program),  both require a second program like MeshLab to complete the process and are not definitely just 'upload and done'.  Microsoft used to have a program, but again its been discontinued as far as I know.  The is also one called 3DF Zephyr, which is also a free version of their 'paid for' one'  with limited functionality.

All that said, it will be trial and error, some may work for what you require, some probably won't.

October 29, 2018, 03:35:47 PM
2.   Someone mentioned there’s software that processes from a multitude of photos of an object and generates a model "for free" in short time - my case is doing a rider lawnmower.  What is that software called?

The process is called Photogrammetry.  There are free solutions with varying degrees of success.  You can start investigating them at this link: https://www.3dbeginners.com/list-of-free-photogrammetry-software/.

Good luck.  Speaking from experience, you'll need it.  ;)

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* October 29, 2018, 07:38:31 PM
There's an older online system that used to be at www.arc3d.be, it works/ed like 123d did, upload the photos and after some unspecified period, you'd get a model back. I don't know if it's still active, it was/is developed/run by a faculty of the Catholic university of Leuwen, Belgium.  I used it once years ago to develop a body kit for a tuner car, I took a nose clip of the car, and stuck triangular stickers over its entire surface, so the pix looked as if they were of a faceted model.  That for two reasons: the stickers were matt, photogrammetry systems don't usually work with reflective surfaces, and also because you get a faceted model back from every 3D scanning system that I've ever heard of.  Arc3d, like another system that I've got called Geometra that was abandoned long ago, likes all of the pix to be taken at the same focal length.  Geometra is manual, you add pix to the project and identify the same point feature in multiple pix, so it's slow and as complex or not as you want.  There are other home-brew systems called 'shadowline' that work by identifying a shadow edge or a laser line passing over an object and defining the object's cross-section.  I've also used a version of that called the david-laserscanner that's partly in the public domain but which was also partly absorbed by HP.  Bear in mind that no scanning system returns a usable model; you get meshes that are good armatures to build surfaces over that maintain proportions and accurate point feature positions, but most have false-reading reflective noise that scatters outlying points and exaggerated surface spikes over the object, and often you have part-meshes that have to be aligned together and blended, and also occlusions, gaps/holes that the scanner couldn't 'see' anything of.  A lot of Meshlab's tools are geared towards remedying those problems.

* November 02, 2018, 06:53:51 AM
1.   In nature the shadows are crisp the closer they are to the object but grow defused the further distant, i.e. a tree’s shadow near the base vs. the top of a large structure.  Can TurboCAD do that somehow?

Bob,

In general  :)
A Lightworks light (render scene luminance) has an option to "fall off". Light passing through transparent objects will always produce hard shadows though soft shadows can be created on solid objects.

A Redsdk light produces "real world" shadows even passing through transparent objects.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

November 07, 2018, 05:12:57 PM
Thanks folks for answering both my questions.

Bob