TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Modify Join Polyline dissapears
Read 144 times
* October 29, 2018, 01:25:53 AM
Hi Cad Gurus.
Just following a YouTube tutorial in making a  flange drawing. While following the simple steps on joining a set of polylines when I click finish what happens is that all nominated polylines in the join disappear except the first group I start with. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Procedures is as follows: I select  from the Modify drop down menu > Join Polyline option then the ribbon prompts me to select the entities I want which I do and all entities selected turn pink as they should; then as instructed, I select the finish flag on the ribbon. Only for all entities to disappear, except the first one I selected!! Undo the task restores the entities.

yours confused.

* October 29, 2018, 01:33:05 AM
Maybe you can attach the drawing, then someone will figure it out.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* October 30, 2018, 12:24:45 AM
Hi Torfinn & all,

as requested, I have attached the drawing fyi.
thanks

October 30, 2018, 01:05:28 AM
I'm assuming you were trying to Join the Polylines with the curved segments and not the straight line segments that meet in the center or the Rectangle that surrounds everything else.  My experiments did not cause Joined pieces to disappear, but that's not the first time my system has had different results than other people.

I have noticed, however, that the curved piece in the lower right does not intersect with any other Polylines at either end (shoots past on the center right, undershoots on the center bottom).  Disconnects for the lower left Polyline, too.

The Polyline at the upper left connects to the Rectangle at the top center, but not the vertex of the Polyline at the upper right.

So... you will have to fix these before trying to Join them.

You can prevent your originals from disappearing if you disable the Delete Original Objects icon in the Inspector Bar while the Join Polylines function is active, but I really doubt that is the problem.  However, you would have to have more than 1 layer for my supposition to be the case.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

October 30, 2018, 01:55:45 AM
As an exercise, I made what you probably wanted.

Adding Diameter Dimensions to the curved parts of the Polylines allowed me to use the Circle / Double Point command where needed at the Midpoint Snaps of a duplicate Rectangle (specify the Diameter and the Angle at each Midpoint to match the original).

Then, add Line / Tangent to 2 Arcs where needed.  Now, you have the V-Snap points needed to draw a single Polyline, alternating between Lines and Arcs as needed, and the result can be Simple Extruded as a Solid object (which you may not have wanted to do, but getting a Solid object from a Simple Extrude tells you that you properly joined all your vertices although, in this case, you did not have to use the Join Polyline command at all).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* October 30, 2018, 07:37:26 AM
It's a WorkPlane issue. When I select any of the 4 polylines to be joined, each is on a different workplane. I tried joining in TurboCAD 2016 Platinum and 3 of the 4 polylines disappeared when joining. I then selected the 4 polylines to be joined, used "Plane By World", then "Place on WorkPlane". Now all sections joined with the Join Polyline tool; no disappearances. Also, everything is on the same 'plane.

To me, it looks like you used the Mirror Copy tool while using the 3D Selector. 2 of the 4 show the the UCS flipped over and the other is turned around.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:55:09 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit