TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Saving Work
Read 206 times
* October 25, 2018, 05:27:39 AM
Hello All
I have Turbocad 2016 Platinum Pro
I am working on a HP 280 G2 MT 8GB ram, 64 bit PC
with Windows 7 Professional, service pack 1

Recently, when I have done a load of drawing and hit save, the computer hangs or I get a message telling me that the Turbocad software is not responding.
The only way I can move forward is to shut down the computer and re-start. This means I lose a load of work and its all taking 5 times as ling to get anything done.

Anyone any ideas what is going on and how to slove the issue?
Thanks
Archietec

* October 25, 2018, 06:17:13 AM
How long time do you wait before shut Down ?? and do you check your Autosave, Crash and Backup file's if you need to "kill" TC

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* October 25, 2018, 07:59:33 AM
Hello Torfin
I have to wait indefinitely and it does not save.
No I have not checked Autosave, Backup or Crash files. I would not know where to start.

In the meantime, I have deleted a stuff (a topographical survey of the building site) that came in from someone else as a .dwg file and all the associated layers and deleted a load of blocks that I do not need.
I have these on another drawing, so I can always get them copied over.
This seems to have done the trick, so I am thinking that there might have been a bit of corruption somewhere, but don't understand why it has only just started happening.
Perhaps too much stuff on the drawing?

Archetec

* October 25, 2018, 08:14:13 AM
It can be the Blocks if they come in the dwg file, there is some program that just love to use Blocks even on single lines, then there can be to many, at least more than TC like, also if they use spline in Hatch i.e.

This is where the files to check hide, remember to set show all files in the bottom of the menu
C:\Users\YOUR Username\Documents\TurboCAD 2018 x64\Professional x64\AutoSave, look for .asv and .crs
C:\Users\YOUR Username\Documents\TurboCAD 2018 x64\Professional x64\BackUps, and look for .bak

Sort by date give you the newest one, also make sure that where the drawing is saved to check for a .dwl with the same name as the drawing have, in case there are, delete it first, before open TC again

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* October 26, 2018, 04:16:59 AM
Hello Torfinn
Under the Auto Save, I have found 2 x ASV files and one CRS file. Al dated back in 2016.
Under the .bak, I have found the latest file, dated yesterdays date.
There are no .dwl files under .bak. I save all the files to Google cloud.
So what do I delete before opening TC again?
Archietec

* October 26, 2018, 05:01:37 AM
There are no .dwl files under .bak. I save all the files to Google cloud.
So what do I delete before opening TC again?
Archietec

A .dwl file is a temporary file created when one opens a TC drawing, it is normally created in the same folder as the TC file is opened from,  but I don't know if this still applies to the cloud (I would think it does), when a file is opened a dwl is created to keep track of who has opened the file, and help prevent two people opening and editing the file at the same time, which would cause problems and possible corruption.  The dwl file is normally deleted automatically by TC when the program closes.  If TC crashes, the dwl can be left behind.

Check if you have any dwl files in the same folder (or cloud) you normally open / save tc files to.  they will not normally appear in the Bak  (backup) folder.

If you are using the cloud, I'd keep an eye on the bak folder, as any interruption in connection to the cloud has the potential to corrupt your file.  so the Bak folder will be valuable.  Under options menu - Desktop, Save/open, there is 'make backup copies',  I have mine set to Backup on every save, it may slow saving a touch on large files, but well worth it..

As for ASV / CRS,  autosave files are automatically deleted by TC when it closes, except, in certain circumstances where TC closes unexpectedly, like a power cut, or some other unexpected closures.  In those instances the ASV file may survive.  A CRS or crash file is only created (I think) when TC encounters a problem that can be handled by TC's internal error handling programming. 

October 26, 2018, 08:47:52 AM
I save all the files to Google cloud.

Are you saving directly to Google cloud?  Or are you saving to a specific folder on your hard drive that is immediately mirrored to Google cloud?

If the first, you could be hamstrung by your Internet Service Provider's upload speed.  Also, if you are using the first method, I really think you should switch to the second.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* October 27, 2018, 06:04:23 AM
Hello Andy H
Thanks.
There are no .dwl files in the cloud save location.
There are however a load of .tmp files. I am presuming that these are what TC has saved on each crash?
Not sure what to do with them?
On the backup, I assume that you mean Options in TC? I have found this but cannot see how to define what/when/where to make the backup.

Hello Jeffin
I think that all documents go straight to the cloud, it saves clogging up the hard drive.
I don't know how to save to the hard drive first and mirror to the cloud?
I think that this may be the issue, so I think I am going to have a file the PC for the moment to save the drawings to and then periodically send them to the cloud.

Archietec

October 27, 2018, 07:22:21 AM
I don't know how to save to the hard drive first and mirror to the cloud?

When you set up Dropbox, there is a folder (I named it 'Dropbox') that is created on your computer.  The Dropbox app runs in the background and mirrors files to the cloud and back to your computer if someone else places a file there.

I expect that it is the same for Google, so find their app and install it.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1