TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Best way to view voids within a 3D object
Read 150 times
* October 22, 2018, 02:29:57 PM
I have a 3D object to be sent out for manufacturing as a plastic molded part.
After sending a STEP file to the manufacturer, they tell me there are voids in the part.
There are 2 types of void.
___1) Void located between two 3D objects which are Boolean Added together. I have since found the issue with this case. When I assembled the parts, I merely located them next to each other. I now use the Assemble by Facet to insure the objects are in contact followed by the Assemble by 3 Points to slide the objects into the precise alignment relative to one another, picking an appropriate vertex which exists on each object.
___2) Void located inside two 3D objects. In this case the void is not visible in any of the renderings I choose. Since I can't see it, I can't fix it without the vendor showing it to me in their graphical tool. I would like to be able to find this type of void myself prior to sending the file to the manufacturer.

Neither of these voids show up in any rendering. Is there a way to see these?

I use both .STEP and .tch file types, but I'm willing to save and view it as any other file type if this is what it takes to view these voids.

Thanks,
John

* October 22, 2018, 04:04:47 PM
Trial and error.   It depends on where the hole is, if it is at the surface one can sometimes tell by looking in draft render, and watching for unusual colours, which occurs when two faces are coincidental, or almost coincidental.

If it is inside the object, then, if it is not obvious in wireframe view, one can slice a copy of the object, and see if it looks right in draft render, with more slicing if its not immediately noticeable.

There is another way which may work, if you have a recent version of Pro, 2015 onwards.  Use the Dynamic cut plane in RedSDK mode, (it may work in Lightworks, but I don't know how good it is),  in RedSDK one can set up the dynamic cut face, and work through the object in draft mode looking for errors.  I've used this method myself for finding errors inside an object.

Its tough to say for certain the best way, without seeing the tcw file.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 04:12:12 PM by Andy H »

* October 23, 2018, 12:01:27 PM
Thanks Andy,

The slice tool accomplished the task.

At first I thought it wasn't possible to cut off a slice the size I needed to see, because the tool only allowed me to select a point half-way between each vertex on the wire model. I tried turning off snap, which allowed me to pick any point on the wire model, but this just caused the slice to fail. Then I realized the tool Would allow me to slice a slice, each time getting thinner and thinner until I got the size of slice I needed to see.

John

* October 23, 2018, 11:03:51 PM
Select the part with facet editor, internal faces will be marked with blue indicators.  You can select those indicators, turning them red, and delete the faces, which deletes the internal void.    If you're using STEP the piece is a "dumb" solid anyway, but if you're using .tcw, it'll break the part tree/history (giving you a warning), and if that's important, best backtrack through the tree to find where you made the error and amend it, or you can add in a solid to fill the cavity, which adds an operation to the part tree.