TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Solid threads using revolve tool
Read 171 times
* September 24, 2018, 08:29:19 PM
Hi,
I am currently using Turbocad 2018 platinum pro to generate models for 3D printing.
I have been trying to make a solid custom screw thread unsuccessfully.
I use the revolve tool to revolve the screw thread profile successfully and despite having the 3D solid box ticked the resultant revolve is a surface only. I am using a closed polyline for the profile. When trying to change the resultant revolved thread to a solid it cannot do it and gives an error message.
Some help out there would be appreciated.
The standard make bolt tool is not much use as it only produces a generic thread.

* September 24, 2018, 09:45:19 PM
Only new to TC but I created the below thread with the thread command in TC2015. I just cut a piece out to check and as you can see it looks solid. Hope this helps.

John

Core i7-6700 CPU
16GB Ram
64 Bit
Windows 10 Home
TurboCAD 2015 Pro Platinum 64 bit Build 90.0

* September 24, 2018, 09:58:10 PM
I just gave it a try in 2018, and the tool (revolve) appears to work just fine.  I'd suggest double checking the closed profile by, in edit mode click profile and then when the nodes are showing, right click one of them and at the bottom of the right click menu, if fully closed it should say 'break' (close being greyed out),  if it says 'close' then something went wrong and it needs closing.

If still having problems, can you post a file with the profile and path, and a small gif file of the revolve settings.

* September 25, 2018, 01:11:15 AM
Thanks folks for your quick response.
Checked the profile and it was closed. Had another profile in the drawing which I tried and it produced a solid whereas the other one did not. I shut down TC and restarted. Hey presto the profile that I had trouble with now produces a solid.
Thanks again for you help. It was most frustrating as I did not know if it was finger trouble or something else.