TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Design a model that can be 3D printed
Read 478 times
August 29, 2018, 03:20:53 AM
Imagine the attached  jeep bed is 4 inches x 6 inches and 3 inches high.
If i was to "print" the bed and make a toy out of it could i use the TurboCad model just as it is ...

* August 29, 2018, 10:15:52 AM
First off, do you have any experience with 3D printing?
I have designed items with TCAD and printed successfully. Once the design is complete and near to the final print dimensions, the file must be saved as an STL, which TCAD is capable of doing, (depends on your version). I may be able to help out with some advice.

TC 21 Deluxe, TC 20 Platinum, TC 2015 Platinum, TC 2016 Platinum, TC 2017 Platinum
i7- 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, 16G Crucial Ballistic, ASRock Extreme 4, EVGA 1060 SSC, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

* August 29, 2018, 11:54:12 AM
Personally.  I save from TC as an stl file, then open in a free 3rd party program to do some minor facet repairs.  I then save as stl, and open in the printers slicing program for saving to the printers code. It takes slightly longer than going straight from TC to slicing, but doing this way works for me.

Looking at your pdf.  Will you be making it in pieces then building it into the model, or wanting to print it as one single object.  If a single object, supports will likely be required, (unless your using a fancy laser / powder printer), you could either design the supports within TC, or get the slicing program (or something like meshmixer) to add the supports automatically.   Personally I like control over what is printed, and try to design so supports are either not required, or at a minimum.  just my way.  But with that model, I'd personally design it as separate pieces like an Airfix kit.

Attached are some I've drawn in TC and printed out.  the top arch is two pieces glued together, it could have been done as one print, but I decided on two.   

* August 29, 2018, 02:56:54 PM
I assume you're inquiring about 3D printing like the others.  That's one thing, but that fullsize bed is assembled from flat timber or MDF sheets, and you could literally print flat patterns in card or to stick to cardstock or styrene sheet (my local plastics supplier sells 1200 x 600mm x 2mm sheet for not very much), cut 'em out and assemble, just from TC paper space and screen shots.  Incorporate tabs and slots for assembly in your design.  It's a flat chassis with flat sides, front and rear, with wheels, wheelarch eyebrows and some other details added in relief, a couple of pieces of dowel for the roll bars.

August 29, 2018, 07:34:02 PM
thank you very much Jason and Andy and Murray.