TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Triple Expansion Engine
Read 1309 times
August 25, 2018, 02:54:00 PM
An update of progress, raw model only sorry chaps.

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 64 bit. TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 32 bit CADCAM.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
TurboCAD LTE/DoubleCAD Pro V7.
TurboCAD Deluxe V21 64 bit.
VISI 21 CADCAM
Christchurch, Middle Earth.

* August 25, 2018, 04:11:10 PM
Looking really good Steve, nice work.

August 26, 2018, 03:14:56 AM
Steve,

raw or not, it certainly looks wonderful.
    Can't wait, for a fully rendered model!
    I do like steam engines.  8)

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

September 09, 2018, 07:00:50 PM
Looks great Steve. Looks like a lot of work has gone into that.

November 15, 2018, 10:11:09 AM
Thanks for the comments gents.

My project has taken a or should I say ground to a bit of a halt at present. My work has asked me to spend as much time as i can on project work using Creo so some of my spare time at home has been Creo. But I have managed to get some TurboCAD work in. I have managed to get a part made for the condenser - fresh off the CNC yesterday!

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
VISI 21 CADCAM

* December 13, 2018, 03:13:27 PM
How's the project progressing, Steve? Overcome the demands from your work?

Nigel.

On TC Deluxe 19: hobby use.

December 14, 2018, 10:45:59 AM
Hi Nigel, yes work has slowed down and I have managed to get a few more parts drawn up. I found a big problem with the bed plate/crankshaft/half bearings(main crank). When all assembled in the model there was some interference and it took me a bit of work to sort it out. I had thought that I had not modelled the crank properly so there was a couple of hours there but it was correct, then into the bed plate but all the planes matched those of the crankshaft. It turns out there is an area where the main crank bearings need to be machined to fit an area that is slightly narrow - a design flaw I suspect from the original pencil drawings and not updated. I will look into this with my model.

In the new year, I am going to machine the bed plate and have the standards 3D printed so I can get them cast.

How are you getting on?

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
VISI 21 CADCAM

* December 14, 2018, 02:10:14 PM
Thank you Steve.

There's always something that doesn't quite go right first time with these things, but it's good to know you've identified the weakness and solution.

My own long-delayed project is a one-third-size Hindley steam wagon whose full-size prototype was launched in 1908 , and the big hold-up at the moment is the engine, an enclosed, vertical compound unit very unusual if not unique, for this class of work. The engine's place in life is equally unconventional for its day, between the two crew seats, and just in front of the cargo platform. I've no drawings, just some  copies of 100 year old photos and few dimensions.

I've now found a candidate engine design, actually for a 5"-gauge locomotive, but the geometry and valve ports are close enough for adapting to the wagon. I'm now using TurboCAD for a General Arrangement of that adaptation. My attempt at an image of the crankshaft that I posted on here some while ago, was a preliminary drawing for this engine's shaft. I submitted it in wire-frame format, but someone else, Henry Hubbich I think, kindly coloured it in for me!

The GA, and any subsequent drawings using TurboCAD can only be all orthographic, because unfortunately I have failed in trying to learn 3D enough even for single, simple parts of the machine, as I'd have liked; let alone complete assemblies. However, it should still perform two important functions: assessing fitting the unit in the limited space available, and of helping me overcome two problems I unwittingly created when I made the chassis too many years ago.

1   The vehicle has Ackermann steering, so the chassis rails have to be swan-necked inwards, but I didn't realise at the time that one of them would cramp the space available for the transmission, and in an awkward manner! Nor that they should have come in a bit further still to give a tighter turning-circle.

2   The way I modified a car front-wheel-drive differential to carry the final-drive chain sprocket on a proper traction-engine type live axle, places the chain a bit too far inboard, cramping things even more! Much later I acquired a further, original manufacturer's photo showing the layout I should have followed... had I known.

So at least I can use TurboCAD to experiment with designing the 2-speed gear-set and its place relative to engine, drive-chain and chassis, before physically cutting metal. 

Nigel.

December 22, 2018, 10:21:01 AM
Hi Nigel.

You have some good progress. I will be interested to see your drawings in due course.

Henry is an obliging gentleman along with many others here.

As for the 3D work, a chap down here in NZ not too far from me (about 3 kilometres) is scratch building a brass railway. I taught him TurboCAD 2D but he wants to go to 3D but has trouble getting his head round it. With the Christmas break down here (2 1/2 weeks before I go back to work), I will make some time with him for 'life in the 3D world' for his wagons. This time will also allow me to spend time on my own engine! I will program for CNC the bed plate and have the standards  or at least one of them 3D printed so I can use it as a pattern for casting in aluminium.

I will later today post an image of where the interference is between the crank/bearings and bedplate.

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
VISI 21 CADCAM

* December 22, 2018, 02:31:59 PM
Thank you Steve.

Yes- Henry's given me a lot help and advice, for which I am very grateful; but I am making such poor progress that I think I have hit my individual learning-limit for TurboCAD.

I'm afraid you won't see my drawings of my engine here. They won't be good enough for a Gallery of top-quality, fully-rendered, brochure-style pictures. Mine are orthographic outline drawings, and to rather low standards.

I spent a couple of hours on the General Arrangement last night, 2D (orthographic) only, making steady but slow progress in translating the engines for a miniature locomotive into a form suitable for my steam-lorry. Then it revealed having unidentified extra work-planes with extra co-ordinate sets not matching the Rulers and Grid, preventing further progress!

However, all is not entirely lost.  :)

I can make orthographic drawings adequate for my own workshop use. I have no access to CNC machines, and know nothing of programming them, but I might be able to produce TurboCAD drawings or drawing-files of flat plates I can buy cut to order. Not 3D profiling or printing though.

I'd have to be careful with a printed drawing rather than file, for scanner-type plate-profiling machines, because I can't trust the print to match its own dimensions.

Nigel.

March 15, 2019, 01:24:27 PM
A bump up and an update on progress.

I have made some smaller steps forward with some of the smaller parts. I have programmed parts to go to the CNC however I have had some stumbling blocks.
1. Health took a step backwards which slowed me down and hospital is now only a matter of weeks away. I will have maybe two weeks of being zonked out and then come back to ground zero. there will be little or no CAD.
2. My sport has taken me around New Zealand and using the laptop on the short haul flights sometimes does not work however much you try! You do get lots of looks and questions on what i am doing! However, motel rooms can be a haven except when we go out for dinner to an "Italian Restaurant" and a nice bottle of Rose' :)
3. Work has kept me tied up with project work and now have 4 months of CAD and CAM in front of me.
I will do what I can.

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
VISI 21 CADCAM

March 26, 2019, 07:19:05 AM
Steam engine. Wow that is so interesting.

* March 26, 2019, 04:20:55 PM
Nice work Steve keep up with TurboCAD as we love hearing your tales.

Daz
TCW V21, 2016-2018 PP, Animation Lab V5, TurboPDF V2-V3 & LightWorks Rendering Engine mostly.

* March 27, 2019, 04:01:12 PM
Very slowly and painfully still trying to design my engine though I have cut some metal. The whole project has been a struggle_ make several parts, only to find months or years later I've "designed" unforeseeable location and other problems for the next few parts.

Adding CAD to the already long-running mix has made things much worse, and its 3D mode is beyond me. However I can now make orthographic-only TC drawings that are rough but sufficient for me using my own, conventional machine-tools. CNC machining is unavailable to me.

Luckily I have found a 5"-gauge locomotive design (printed, not digital, drawings) whose geometry is so close to that of my steam-wagon's engine's that I can adapt that.

Nigel.